Which is better in a lever gun for big game 45 colt or 44 mag ?

59 minutes ago, halfnelson said:

Marlin has a whole lot of different models- time proven...I like the looks of the laminated stock ones with SS metal.  Plus , you can always go on Guns international, lots of guns for sale there.

Don't trust the new Marlins since Remington took over but yea they look nice .

Can't speak for the levers, but I routinely carry a ruger carbine (same size as a 10/22, but in a tube fed 44 mag.) Plain and simple... point, shoot, things fall down...on the spot, no tracking. Limited to about 100yrds, but I wouldn't hesitate to take on anything in NY or N. America for that matter. Hand loading makes it even better!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tuckersdaddy said:

Can't speak for the levers, but I routinely carry a ruger carbine (same size as a 10/22, but in a tube fed 44 mag.) Plain and simple... point, shoot, things fall down...on the spot, no tracking. Limited to about 100yrds, but I wouldn't hesitate to take on anything in NY or N. America for that matter. Hand loading makes it even better!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If they  made that in a take down I would buy it up in second .

Lol good luck finding  a 444 for a fair price . I have been on the prowl for one for a little while. Only ones I can find are on gunbroker and such. I hate buying a gun I can't touch and fondle first hand . Haven't found even a used one in the gun shops.

I know of a shop in the Hudson valley had has old used ones pretty often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just for curiosity....what are you going to use it for? you mention the "biggest caliber " which really doesn't tell the whole story if you are looking for a hunting gun. It has been a while, but last I recall the 30-30 actually had it over most 44 rounds for muzzle energy at 100 yards, not to mention trajectory. Not only that, some vendors don't sell hand gun ammunition (as 44 mag and 45 colt is originally designed for) unless you have a pistol permit....even if you point out it is for a carbine. They just look at you dumb. No one needs to get all antsy if they want to dig out the ballistic and loading charts....I haven't compared newer loading manuals and ballistic charts, but that is one of the things with the hand gun rounds...they loose their energy a lot quicker. Not to mention the much higher cost of em. And on top of 30-30s of course, you have much more potent rounds in lever actions: 35 Remington, 45-70 which of course thumps the 30-30 for energy,.300 savage, etc. If you are just looking for "biggest",  skip those two handgun rounds and just go to the 45-70. probably want to shoot one first. A lot more kick and blast than a lot of folks expect. 

4 hours ago, Daveboone said:

just for curiosity....what are you going to use it for? you mention the "biggest caliber " which really doesn't tell the whole story if you are looking for a hunting gun. It has been a while, but last I recall the 30-30 actually had it over most 44 rounds for muzzle energy at 100 yards, not to mention trajectory. Not only that, some vendors don't sell hand gun ammunition (as 44 mag and 45 colt is originally designed for) unless you have a pistol permit....even if you point out it is for a carbine. They just look at you dumb. No one needs to get all antsy if they want to dig out the ballistic and loading charts....I haven't compared newer loading manuals and ballistic charts, but that is one of the things with the hand gun rounds...they loose their energy a lot quicker. Not to mention the much higher cost of em. And on top of 30-30s of course, you have much more potent rounds in lever actions: 35 Remington, 45-70 which of course thumps the 30-30 for energy,.300 savage, etc. If you are just looking for "biggest",  skip those two handgun rounds and just go to the 45-70. probably want to shoot one first. A lot more kick and blast than a lot of folks expect. 

The pistol caliber  versions  are lighter   and I just like the looks of it better then the 45/70 version  that Taylor makes .

I'm not  in places where you can get shots past 70 80  yards anyway .

I have other hunting guns for that . Even if I don't  hunt with it all the time  I want one anyway just like the looks of it .

https://www.google.com/search?q=alaskan+takedown+44+mag&safe=off&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjt2K2uuY3gAhXITd8KHZciDDgQ_AUoAnoECA0QAg&biw=360&bih=512&dpr=4

Edited by Storm914

The pistol caliber  versions  are lighter   and I just like the looks of it better then the 45/70 version  that Taylor makes .
I'm not  in places where you can get shots past 70 80  yards anyway .
I have other hunting guns for that . Even if I don't  hunt with it all the time  I want one anyway just like the looks of it .

https://www.google.com/search?q=alaskan+takedown+44+mag&safe=off&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjt2K2uuY3gAhXITd8KHZciDDgQ_AUoAnoECA0QAg&biw=360&bih=512&dpr=4

Who makes the rifles, uberti?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Even if I don't  hunt with it all the time  I want one anyway just like the looks of it ." 

I could not possibly hunt with every firearm I have acquired down through the years, I have quite a few that fall under the category of "just liking the looks of". I still have a ton of fun with them working up loads and taking them to the range and shooting the Hell out of them.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, airedale said:

"Even if I don't  hunt with it all the time  I want one anyway just like the looks of it ." 

I could not possibly hunt with every firearm I have acquired down through the years, I have quite a few that fall under the category of "just liking the looks of". I still have a ton of fun with them working up loads and taking them to the range and shooting the Hell out of them.

Al

Exactly after you get  so many guns sometimes you just want to experiment with something different just for the hell of it .

If I do much deer  hunting with that particular gun will see,  I want it anyway . :)  im always looking for new ones even if I don't need anymore it's a addiction. 

• Like 1