2019 Season (Biz-R-OWorld)

BizCT

Gimme some good news about the old mans buck....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2 also let me know what you think about Quaker creek maybe I’ll shoot a Doe this week just for the hell of it. Passed enough opportunities already

4 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Dad and brother still searching. I went to Quaker Creek to pick up my stuff. Looks great, hopefully tastes great too. Thanks to whoever it was that was suggesting them.

6ceb4e2e7c43083f87840b1cda9b062f.plist4a1760a48d439504363f433269ee55e8.jpg

If its good, I suggested it, if it’s not, then forget it was me lol

Gimme some good news about the old mans buck....

I hope you like the food because your dad texted me to remove you from his will.  Apparently he thought you should be helping to track too.   

Unfortunately, no good news. Sunset is soon and then they will call it a day. They have looked any and everywhere since 7am today in addition to all day yesterday. No extra blood was found. All yesterday’s blood was still noticeable. But again no new blood found. The spot where last blood was found was fairly wide open. No heavy brush. So it wouldn’t have been hard to find a dead one within 100-200 yards in any direction. Sucks.

• Sad 1

X2 also let me know what you think about Quaker creek maybe I’ll shoot a Doe this week just for the hell of it. Passed enough opportunities already

I only tried pepperoni stick so far and it was PHENOMENAL. Everything was frozen so I popped in microwave on defrost for a few seconds before eating it.

• Like 1

I only tried pepperoni stick so far and it was PHENOMENAL. Everything was frozen so I popped in microwave on defrost for a few seconds before eating it.

Are you sure that's all your meat and not just an exchange type deal? That was mighty fast to process it all. Also it all looks ridiculously delicious! If I ever get a deer the first will be fully donated to the hungry. The second I may do exactly what you did!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, no good news. Sunset is soon and then they will call it a day. They have looked any and everywhere since 7am today in addition to all day yesterday. No extra blood was found. All yesterday’s blood was still noticeable. But again no new blood found. The spot where last blood was found was fairly wide open. No heavy brush. So it wouldn’t have been hard to find a dead one within 100-200 yards in any direction. Sucks.

Sorry...I guess Stormy was right....said no one ever.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Are you sure that's all your meat and not just an exchange type deal? That was mighty fast to process it all. Also it all looks ridiculously delicious! If I ever get a deer the first will be fully donated to the hungry. The second I may do exactly what you did!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yes. I was originally told 1 week (Monday), but I told the guy I don’t live nearby and next weekend I’m going away so he was going to try to get it done within 5 days. Being that it was before rifle season, he was able to

Sorry...I guess Stormy was right....said no one ever.

Yup. Got this text from dad. He’s down in the dumps about losing a deer. I believe this is his 3rd lost deer in 50-60 years of hunting

“I'm not going out tomorrow. 8 straight days up at 3:30am. I'm taking a break until Monday.”

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yup. Got this text from dad. He’s down in the dumps about losing a deer. I believe this is his 3rd lost deer in 50-60 years of hunting

“I'm not going out tomorrow. 8 straight days up at 3:30am. I'm taking a break until Monday.”

Sorry to hear that, sucks knowing when your dad is upset.  Never easy.

• Like 1

Biz,  you guys had a very good run with those fixed broadheads, but this might be an indication that the time is right to switch to mechanicals.   The study that Culver posted, using the Navy base data, indicated a clear advantage for mechanical broadheads with a crossbow (and vertical bows), when it comes to recovery percentage .    The wider cutting diameter can make the difference on a marginal hit.  

My own run with mechanicals has been very good at 6 for 6 which includes one with my old vertical bow.  The last one was the first to make it farther than 40 yards after taking the bolt.  I still don't know how the heck he managed to make it 150 yards, at a walk while center-punched thru both lungs.  Sadly, I lost my last "reworked" mechanical on that pass thru shot. Maybe that one went so far because my "resharpening" job was not that great.  I think those things are meant for one-time use.  I destroyed one of the 6-pack that I purchased years ago on a practice shot I used to check it's zero with my vertical bow.  The two-fur on the last one got me a 6th buck from that 6-pack of mechanical, 125 grain, 3-blade, o-ring style broadheads.   

Sorry about the lost deer, but I think the odds of him being alive are greater than those of him being dead.  My guess is an "above the spine" hit, thru the meaty back-strap area behind the shoulder.   A broadhead wound to that area typically heals up completely.

I know how your dad feels, because the memories of those that I have hit and lost thru 38 years (fortunately none during archery season since going exclusively to the crossbow in 2014), stay with me a lot clearer than any of my successful harvest do.  

I still think often about my last non-recovered hit, on a basket-racked 8-point with my ML, and that happened about 15 years ago.  I can still see that buck like it was yesterday.   It is all crystal clear, from when I first saw him, till I last saw him, and most of all, about when I got the news that my shot was a hit and not a miss as I had wrongly assumed.  I followed that track for several hundred yards, and never found so much as a hair or a drop of blood on the fresh snow. 

You never get too old to learn, and you learn from these things and move on.   The most important lesson I learned from that mishap was to never assume a miss until proven otherwise.  The best way to "prove" a miss is to kill the deer with a follow up shot and count holes.  I have done that twice since then, including my first and largest Adirondack buck in 2014, and a monster swamp buck last season, each of which was killed with my third shot (the Adirondack buck only took one bullet but the last on took all three).  

That Adirondack buck might still be alive today, and that big swamper would have fed coyotes after succumbing to a "below the spine" gut hit from my first shot, were it not for that hard lesson that I learned 15 years ago.  

I also learned that fresh snow is not a good indicator of blood, because the hot stuff will cut right thru it, leaving no trace on top.   Those two lessons lesson also got me one highly-prized button buck in 2010, that I otherwise might have given up on.  

It sounds like your tracking efforts were enough to almost prove that, although a hit was certainly made, that deer has a very good chance of recovery.   Hopefully, you guys will get another crack at him during gun season.    

Biz,  you guys had a very good run with those fixed broadheads, but this might be an indication that the time is right to switch to mechanicals.   The study that Culver posted, using the Navy base data, indicated a clear advantage for mechanical broadheads with a crossbow (and vertical bows), when it comes to recovery percentage .    The wider cutting diameter can make the difference on a marginal hit.  
My own run with mechanicals has been very good at 6 for 6 which includes one with my old vertical bow.  The last one was the first to make it farther than 40 yards after taking the bolt.  I still don't know how the heck he managed to make it 150 yards, at a walk while center-punched thru both lungs.  Sadly, I lost my last "reworked" mechanical on that pass thru shot. Maybe that one went so far because my "resharpening" job was not that great.  I think those things are meant for one-time use.  I destroyed one of the 6-pack that I purchased years ago on a practice shot I used to check it's zero with my vertical bow.  The two-fur on the last one got me a 6th buck from that 6-pack of mechanical, 125 grain, 3-blade, o-ring style broadheads.   
Sorry about the lost deer, but I think the odds of him being alive are greater than those of him being dead.  My guess is an "above the spine" hit, thru the meaty back-strap area behind the shoulder.   A broadhead wound to that area typically heals up completely.
I know how your dad feels, because the memories of those that I have hit and lost thru 38 years (fortunately none during archery season since going exclusively to the crossbow in 2014), stay with me a lot clearer than any of my successful harvest do.  
I still think often about my last non-recovered hit, on a basket-racked 8-point with my ML, and that happened about 15 years ago.  I can still see that buck like it was yesterday.   It is all crystal clear, from when I first saw him, till I last saw him, and most of all, about when I got the news that my shot was a hit and not a miss as I had wrongly assumed.  I followed that track for several hundred yards, and never found so much as a hair or a drop of blood on the fresh snow. 
You never get too old to learn, and you learn from these things and move on.   The most important lesson I learned from that mishap was to never assume a miss until proven otherwise.  The best way to "prove" a miss is to kill the deer with a follow up shot and count holes.  I have done that twice since then, including my first and largest Adirondack buck in 2014, and a monster swamp buck last season, each of which was killed with my third shot (the Adirondack buck only took one bullet but the last on took all three).  
That Adirondack buck might still be alive today, and that big swamper would have fed coyotes after succumbing to a "below the spine" gut hit from my first shot, were it not for that hard lesson that I learned 15 years ago.  
I also learned that fresh snow is not a good indicator of blood, because the hot stuff will cut right thru it, leaving no trace on top.   Those two lessons lesson also got me one highly-prized button buck in 2010, that I otherwise might have given up on.  
It sounds like your tracking efforts were enough to almost prove that, although a hit was certainly made, that deer has a very good chance of recovery.   Hopefully, you guys will get another crack at him during gun season.    

Thanks for insight, but I’ll never be a mechanical guy. Doesn’t make sense to me. Both of my xbow kills died in under 15 yards. Dad’s 2017 xbow kill never moved either. I don’t think the Broadhead had any issue this time, but rather he didn’t make a perfect shot

• Like 3