2019 Season (Biz-R-OWorld)

BizCT

23 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Thanks for insight, but I’ll never be a mechanical guy. Doesn’t make sense to me. Both of my xbow kills died in under 15 yards. Dad’s 2017 xbow kill never moved either. I don’t think the Broadhead had any issue this time, but rather he didn’t make a perfect shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree Biz, i have killed a ton of deer with fixed heads,  thats not the issue. Bad shot with mechanical  or fixed is just that a bad shot, no reason to switch.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I hope you like the food because your dad texted me to remove you from his will.  Apparently he thought you should be helping to track too.   

Moog helped him draw up the new will and instead of asking for monetary payment he will be inheriting the Weatherby's.  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Thanks for insight, but I’ll never be a mechanical guy. Doesn’t make sense to me. Both of my xbow kills died in under 15 yards. Dad’s 2017 xbow kill never moved either. I don’t think the Broadhead had any issue this time, but rather he didn’t make a perfect shot

If the shot passed thru above the spine, as it sounds like was probably the case, then I agree that the mechanical might not have helped.   It very tough to refute the evidence of that non-biased study that Culver posted a few weeks ago.  That study showed a very significant improvement in recovery percentage, with mechanical broadheads, especially when used with crossbows.    Any broadhead will kill with a perfect shot, but the mechanical has been shown to provide a slight edge on the "less than perfect" ones.   

Biz,

So your dad is a real badass with all these dark to dark sits! Does he stay on the same stand all day? What does he pack in for eats. Is he an old school wool guy or is he high tech in the Sitka or modern gear? Whats his all day boot of choice? I give him kudos for his persistence. 

Biz,

So your dad is a real badass with all these dark to dark sits! Does he stay on the same stand all day? What does he pack in for eats. Is he an old school wool guy or is he high tech in the Sitka or modern gear? Whats his all day boot of choice? I give him kudos for his persistence. 

He usually sits 2 spots. The morning in one, eats his lunch and then a super slow walk to the second one. He eats basic cold cuts on bread and has candy as snacks. He doesn’t see the point in going home if he’s only coming back to the woods anyway. He has nothing new high-tech and takes the cold better than me. He wears long Johns, flannel and an old pair of whitetail extreme pants and jacket. I wear the same stuff but i have under Armour cold gear as my base layer. Boots-wise we both wear old boots that i couldn’t even tell you the brand. I have PAC Boots 2000 Infernos I’ve used in extreme cold in Canada and Minnesota but never used it in New York.

Thanks Biz! I hope I am spending as much time in the woods when I’m older! I hope he gets another crack or even better at that same buck.

Thanks man. Here’s a boot pic for you. The light timberlands I wear as long as temps are like 30’s and rising. If colder or snow, I wear the heavier ones. Can’t find a brand on them

387c32bf0e5dabc589a1abc89e37e92c.jpg

63860b023477bd658a45d2beea5f554d.jpg

• Like 1

11/16: opening day of rifle. Hunted with TCIII and Sodfather in 9J.

Morning on lease. I missed buck. Tacks saw 2 does. Jay saw 5 does/fawns. Here’s the story on my miss. I didn’t see anything and knew Tacks had to leave at 9am for a family obligation. So I went to his stand at 9. I climb up the ladder stand. Hang my bookbag, lay my rifle across my lap. Look left and see a nice body deer moving about 110yds away. I knew it had to be a buck but I throw up the binocs and I’m looking at my bookbag lol. Grab the rifle and see the buck moving away quick but the brush looked light so I let it rip. No blood and when I get up there the brush was much much more than expected. Hindsight, I should have grunted to try to get him into range but it all happened so fast. I was in the stand for literally 10 seconds. Buck was at least a big 4, maybe 6. We followed the fresh tracks for a while and no blood.

4024cfa71fabddef42da9e4f773c086c.jpg

157621638b2dc25ef160a1e73beccb87.jpg

Afternoon we hunted Stateland- nothing for me and jay. Tacks saw 1 doe

Back to the lease tomorrow morning.

My dad 380 miles away in 3N, went dark to dark and saw a good buck too far to shoot, a spike at 30yds and a doe.

• Like 5

11/17 continued: dad hunted back home dark to dark and saw a shooter buck chasing a doe around noon. Couldn’t get a shot though. No hunting tomorrow with the rain. But dad and I will probably hunt together Tuesday

11/19: Dad and I both hunted dark to dark. Snowy rain n foggy. I Hit estrous can call at 835 and 845am stood up to stretch n look behind me n here come deer. I watched them from 850-905. They never spooked. 5 does/fawns under 25yds. I took nice video. Screenshot of video attached. They were headed towards my dad, so I texted him and sure enough he saw them 10min later. A little after that dad saw a nice buck chasing a doe hard through heavy stuff at 100 yards. No shot opportunity. Not long after that he saw them again, so he tried grunting and a spike came in out of nowhere. The afternoon we both saw nothing. Lots of fresh rubs though and some daytime pics or bucks. The time is off on one of the cams

324d46512dd55ed2bc90e2ce90bc257d.jpg4bb3a76c484e58c27c73871b2b10a44c.jpgb55ee997a71cc0a29de261fb5c3ee0a2.jpg38b3dbb7d69283ae27cbb4c653022525.jpgd827e6db3dfa3fd17a2e28a2b5394380.png