2019 Season (Biz-R-OWorld)

BizCT

Way to go Biz! Love the pic of you, your dad and the buck! That’s what it’s all about right there. I bet he was as stoked as you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea he was super pumped.

I have one done with the aggressive pose.  While cool at first it has become my least favorite of my mounts.   Any type of semi upright or semi sneak with a turn to the head looks better long term IMO.    Of course I really like wall pedestals too.  Lol

Thanks for the info. That was my concern about it getting old. It’s not like I have a ton of whitetails mounted. I have one currently, a smaller 8pt. Which I actually plan to
Dismantle and keep the rack. So this new one will be MJ only whitetail Mount.

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Thanks for the info. That was my concern about it getting old. It’s not like I have a ton of whitetails mounted. I have one currently, a smaller 8pt. Which I actually plan to
Dismantle and keep the rack. So this new one will be MJ only whitetail Mount.

I would do a semi upright with a slight head turn.  More realistic and regal.   

• Like 1

I would do a semi upright with a slight head turn.  More realistic and regal.   

048a8afc00eadc8ee1070b871f49106e.plist&key=078e99a3b5684caa3db1d3b1b29c39eef27ae10fe86c69fbd2547cc31606cbdd

It’s been a while since I had a mount done. Are you suggesting something similar to the 2 mule deer? It would go where the whitetail is (right side wall)

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

048a8afc00eadc8ee1070b871f49106e.plist&key=078e99a3b5684caa3db1d3b1b29c39eef27ae10fe86c69fbd2547cc31606cbdd

It’s been a while since I had a mount done. Are you suggesting something similar to the 2 mule deer? It would go where the whitetail is (right side wall)

Yep.  Diverse collection there.  Nice. 

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

If youve got the room do a pedistal. If not then exactly like the mulies is great. Thats how im getting my mount done

11/3: I didn’t hunt but dad hunted dark to dark. He saw a lone deer at 10am (couldn’t tell buck or doe) then saw 5 or 6pt at 50 yards at 12pm. Never in range for a shot. He’ll be back at it tomorrow dark to dark. I’m scheduled off tomorrow to hunt, but now with buck killed already I plan to skip the morning and maybe hit Stateland in 3S for a chance at buck # 2 using bow

16 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

11/3: I didn’t hunt but dad hunted dark to dark. He saw a lone deer at 10am (couldn’t tell buck or doe) then saw 5 or 6pt at 50 yards at 12pm. Never in range for a shot. He’ll be back at it tomorrow dark to dark. I’m scheduled off tomorrow to hunt, but now with buck killed already I plan to skip the morning and maybe hit Stateland in 3S for a chance at buck # 2 using bow

Please define "dad".......

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 1:40 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I knew right away this 8pt was a shooter but he was facing me with head down making a scrape so I couldn’t shoot. I planned to wait till he turned broadside either way. Instead he lifted his head way up high and started rubbing the branches above him. I had read a lot about frontal shots for year and to aim for a “front shirt pocket”. Being that i had the xbow and felt steady (while shaking mentally) I took the shot since it was wide open and so close. I heard a loud crack as the bolt went right through him. He tried to run uphill and tumbled back down. I saw him go down. He died 16 yards from the shot.

It is cool, how you were able to kill him so cleanly, with a somewhat unorthodox shot angle.  Hopefully your taxidermist will be able to highlight that in some way with the mount (some cut hair in the shape of your broadhead maybe).  What broadheads did you use by the way ?

Ironically, a similar buck that I killed on the same day with my crossbow, was by far my most difficult recovery despite what seems to be the universally-accepted "best" point of impact and shot angle.  This guy was standing broadside in an open hay field, 20 yards away and took my bolt right on the very hair where I had aimed.   I was 7 feet up, on the second deck of a two-story blind. After taking the "pass thru" bolt, tipped with a reworked, o-ring style, 125 grain, 3-bladed mechanical broadhead, he whirled around 180 degrees, and fast walked back from the way he came.   He made a short turn towards a 2 acre thicket about 75 yards away, then turned back and continued on across the field towards a larger, 5 acre thicket.  I could not see him then, so I missed that last part.    

He expired about 5 feet into that one, having traveled approximately 150 yards after taking the bolt in the "best" spot, from the "best" angle.   My recovery took much longer than it should have, because I had heard what must have been another deer crashing in the small thicket.  I took his "false lead" into there, where the blood petered out and I spent about 1/2 hour grid-searching the whole tangled jungle-like mess.   I started having some doubts and thinking I may have hit too high, above the spine, despite what looked like a perfect hit.   I found him shortly after returning to the last good blood and getting back on the "real" trail.    

The other (4) bucks that I have killed with the same crossbow and broadheads (all factory new) had dropped within 40 yards of taking the bolts and only one of those was lung "center-punched" broadside (others were: center heart - broadside, front lung - slight quartering to, and rear lung - slight quartering away.   Maybe this one went so far because my sharpening job was not that great on the "reused" broadhead.  That was the last one I had, and I could not find it after 15 minutes of searching today.  I will have to spring for some new ones next season (I will go with fixed muzzy's the rest of this year while trying to fill dmp tags because they impact identical to my used-up mechanicals).  

I will have to add your "shirt pocket" shot to my bag of tricks if a chance to use it ever comes up.  I do have a bit of experience from the other end with my 30/06 and that one piled up right in his tracks. 

8 point cb 2109 as found.jpg

Edited by wolc123

9 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

It is cool, how you were able to kill him so cleanly, with a somewhat unorthodox shot angle.  Hopefully your taxidermist will be able to highlight that in some way with the mount (some cut hair in the shape of your broadhead maybe).  What broadheads did you use by the way ?

Ironically, a similar buck that I killed on the same day with my crossbow, was by far my most difficult recovery despite what seems to be the universally-accepted "best" point of impact and shot angle.  This guy was standing broadside in an open hay field, 20 yards away and took my bolt right on the very hair where I had aimed.   I was 7 feet up, on the second deck of a two-story blind. After taking the "pass thru" bolt, tipped with a reworked, o-ring style, 125 grain, 3-bladed mechanical broadhead, he whirled around 180 degrees, and fast walked back from the way he came.   He made a short turn towards a 2 acre thicket about 75 yards away, then turned back and continued on across the field towards a larger, 5 acre thicket.     

He expired about 5 feet into that one, having traveled approximately 150 yards after taking the bolt in the "best" spot, from the "best" angle.   My recovery took much longer than it should have, because I had heard what must have been another deer crashing in the small thicket.  I took his "false lead" into there, where the blood petered out and I spent about 1/2 hour grid-searching the whole tangled jungle-like mess.   I started having some doubts and thinking I may have hit too high, above the spine, despite what looked like a perfect hit.   I found him shortly after returning to the last good blood and getting back on the "real" trail.    

The other (4) bucks that I have killed with the same crossbow and broadheads (all factory new) had dropped within 40 yards of taking the bolts and only one of those was lung "center-punched" broadside (others were: center heart - broadside, front lung - slight quartering to, and rear lung - slight quartering away.   Maybe this one went so far because my sharpening job was not that great on the "reused" broadhead.  That was the last one I had, and I could not find it after 15 minutes of searching today.  I will have to spring for some new ones next season (I will go with fixed muzzy's the rest of this year while trying to fill dmp tags because they impact identical to my used-up mechanicals).  

I will have to add your "shirt pocket" shot to my bag of tricks if a chance to use it ever comes up.  I do have a bit of experience from the other end with my 30/06 and that one piled up right in his tracks. 

8 point cb 2109 as found.jpg

Great buck, any other pics of him? (Congrats!!)

Ironically, a similar buck that I killed on the same day with my crossbow, was by far my most difficult recovery despite what seems to be the universally-accepted "best" point of impact and shot angle.  This guy was standing broadside in an open hay field, 20 yards away and took my bolt right on the very hair where I had aimed.   I was 7 feet up, on the second deck of a two-story blind. After taking the "pass thru" bolt, tipped with a reworked, o-ring style, 125 grain, 3-bladed mechanical broadhead, he whirled around 180 degrees, and fast walked back from the way he came.   He made a short turn towards a 2 acre thicket about 75 yards away, then turned back and continued on across the field towards a larger, 5 acre thicket.  I could not see him then, so I missed that last part.    

1014767980_8pointcb2109asfound.thumb.jpg.78b15459d4105b433a70a706cb3d6712.jpg

I use Excalibur Firebolts with Boltcutter Broadheads. I can’t complain. Dad and I have 3 bucks with this setup. All 3 went under 20yds from impact to recovery. Definitely read up on the front shot from the ground. It’s not the same from a treestand for sure

• Like 1

Just now, Lawdwaz said:

Great buck, any other pics of him? (Congrats!!)

Thanks Larry,

I put a hanging shot in cb harvest thread and a nut-shot in beer thread.   He was far from my heaviest buck (just a 39-1/4" chest girth) but he might be my best "antler score" 8-point.  I already have one of those shoulder mounted, so he will get the old power-wash euro.   I did that with another, almost identically sized 8-point but with slightly less symmetry.  This one is just about perfectly matched, with all the tines within 1/16 in length side to side.  The rack almost looks fake due to that symmetry.  The "gross" score would probably equal the "net", but I ain't much into antler scores.  Maybe I will make some type of "bookend" style display with the two 8 point euros.   

Congrats on your kill today also.   

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I use Excalibur Firebolts with Boltcutter Broadheads. I can’t complain. Dad and I have 3 bucks with this setup. All 3 went under 20yds from impact to recovery. Definitely read up on the front shot from the ground. It’s not the same from a treestand for sure

Thanks Biz.  I never hunt more than 8 feet up anymore, but I have only killed one from the ground with my crossbow.  That was the other "center-punch" lung broadside shot and he only went about 15 yards after taking the bolt.    Are the "Boltcutter" fixed or mechanical, and how many grain ?    I am in the market now.  My ML has been acting up a bit (fireing pin is sticking), so I might be toting my crossbow this December, especially if I still have my gun buck tag by then.     

Where was the exit or did it bury in the junk?

Thanks Biz.  I never hunt more than 8 feet up anymore, but I have only killed one from the ground with my crossbow.  That was the other "center-punch" lung broadside shot and he only went about 15 yards after taking the bolt.    Are the "Boltcutter" fixed or mechanical, and how many grain ?    I am in the market now.  My ML has been acting up a bit (fireing pin is sticking), so I might be toting my crossbow this December, especially if I still have my gun buck tag by then.     

Boltcutter are 150gr. Fixed.

Where was the exit or did it bury in the junk?

Came out side past ribs but before hip. Couldn’t find bolt tho. I saw Lighted nock hit but it must have turned off after impact or broke. Dad checked at night and no luck. Sucks. Wish I had it.
fa6c358924bb4d949d429bce03b93b75.jpg5479096f41a7225f886af156cb4b0e37.jpg

Entry and exit here

• Like 4

On 11/2/2019 at 1:40 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

11/2: hunted with xbow with dad on his land. 29 degrees and barely any wind. Sent him to lower end of property and I went to the acorn flat blind. Cam showed a 8pt on 10/30 and a spike with a 4pt. I got into my blind at 630-ish. At 645am I heard a deer coming and saw a deer 28yds broadside but i couldn’t see antlers since it was too dark (sunrise 727am). The deer slowly walked away. At 745am I was glassing up to my right when I saw a deer. It was a tight 4 or 6pt. Eating and rubbing his antlers on some trees. He was about 80yards. I decided to try my grunt call to see if maybe he was with a bigger buck who would come

In too. After hitting the grunt I got

His attention, but I heard movement to my left. I looked left and saw an 8pt. 19 yards away making an aggressive scrape in the spot I always scrape in front of my trail cam. I knew right away this 8pt was a shooter but he was facing me with head down making a scrape so I couldn’t shoot. I planned to wait till he turned broadside either way. Instead he lifted his head way up high and started rubbing the branches above him. I had read a lot about frontal shots for year and to aim for a “front shirt pocket”. Being that i had the xbow and felt steady (while shaking mentally) I took the shot since it was wide open and so close. I heard a loud crack as the bolt went right through him. He tried to run uphill and tumbled back down. I saw him go down. He died 16 yards from the shot. My cam 2 pics of him before I shot at 750am. As I got my stuff together to leave the blind, the small 4/6pt came right in under 30yards. What a day! His antlers were all rubbed with trees and on the drag out I saw 3 fresh rubs. I believe he just came into the area recently (10/30-ish).

151lbs dressed at Amato’s butcher in Somers

2ba2ee201d2b6440c3206f0b8102a0e3.jpg&key=0879aea3e243d90ad1f4a55b32384ef698b5220afb2c1ecff4f551e3737401c8a6f1816839e7bc3cd28821ff24d06ca9.plist&key=95c6a038333d22d340e5a405cf97e2fb0dac5e2da6779f90316d2a26c1822c04

231f15b8b0fdb0df8772b4793f5bd242.plist&key=f2471d70b60dc183ed4f9d7036a58fe92eaee131971b45846968ec2ba5abe9017e341e5194d6c6576f7a3c1146fc24e1.plist&key=0a1d6f6898b7486a44bdb71ece009bc2d7238abc003bb6f6290235a1f202910ed9a95c054defc2156b774f5df3e9e86a.jpg&key=98d31ce3424093af27099c7e4686903a98e1c6e04cc2566139a1ab87e07d38c8200258b8ca3bb386c999b3571fc512eb.jpg&key=225ec9eb265b7797f33a9104d732ca90a5a5592c4cb24bbd4640cf4f95c6f95d887d56d15b5556c59f7bd8949f5a1c3c.jpg&key=3dfccaa88dffe5f263d45333038e9ae5b6006491d72b2ddc29ce17873341d0c72965c6eeb21b6a4c197f836b8c5517f1.jpg&key=749369ef7ccf83ba971a2e0961a46f954c4e0f23f006ce42fed917fdec8f6339f31dac6bdf998c5c4b79c5b3d0a3935f.jpg&key=0c9d1befe2dd0d84e1a67a74738c717d014a8b5d85f82094e6386cbaae3d087eebcf8ad331437b584a706e68a3a46c71.jpg&key=5d0568490fe8ef9ad22ca19bee0094037fdb820495e46cd2129c5b1db6f9bfd2ace7532fbd68215aec4e77c48a1349ec.jpg&key=be6d8ccd6c7fd8777abce1717dd65fc4d71811699d1fbb06c34822ad047c20e0

Awesome Job Biz. You sure put the work in for him. Happy for you!

• Like 1