2019 Season (Biz-R-OWorld)

BizCT

11/4/19: I didn’t hunt, but Dad went dark to dark. He saw 15 female turkeys at first light then a red fox at 25 yards soon after. Around 10am he saw a 6pt at 70 yards. Tried to grunt him back, but no luck. Then saw a lone doe around noon. Then another red fox in afternoon and 2 Tom turkeys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

11/5/19: I didn’t hunt, but Dad went dark to dark again for the 4th day in a row. At 6:30am he had a large coyote 50 yards howling, so he hit the bleat call thinking maybe it would come closer for a shot. Instead the coyote stood up on a stone wall and proceeded to howl staring at my dad for 20 straight minutes. Dad said it was craziest thing he has seen in the woods in 60+ years. The yote finally quit and walked away. At 11:45am, he saw a 3 pointer at 60 yards. Then at 3:15pm he saw another buck with a fork pass by, but couldn't get full view of the rack. Then at 4:45pm sunset he saw 2 tom turkeys again (probably same ones a yesterday in same exact spot/time). He'll be back at it again tomorrow. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

11/5/19: I didn’t hunt, but Dad went dark to dark again for the 4th day in a row. At 6:30am he had a large coyote 50 yards howling, so he hit the bleat call thinking maybe it would come closer for a shot. Instead the coyote stood up on a stone wall and proceeded to howl staring at my dad for 20 straight minutes. Dad said it was craziest thing he has seen in the woods in 60+ years. The yote finally quit and walked away. At 11:45am, he saw a 3 pointer at 60 yards. Then at 3:15pm he saw another buck with a fork pass by, but couldn't get full view of the rack. Then at 4:45pm sunset he saw 2 tom turkeys again (probably same ones a yesterday in same exact spot/time). He'll be back at it again tomorrow. 

Nice, how many acres does your dad hunt ?

11/6/19: I didn't hunt, but Dad went dark to dark today. At 7am he saw a 3pt buck with his nose to the ground cross by at 40 yards. Funny thing is that he was with 2 tom turkeys. He said it looked like they were walking as a group. About an hour later the same 3pt. buck came back by him. At 4:35pm, dad blind grunt called and within 2 minutes had a deer come running through but couldn't see the head to confirm buck or doe. Tomorrow he is hunting the morning only, so first non dark-dark day of the season.

• Like 1

I've always had to wait a few days to pick-up. Must be slow over there

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not to knock biz at all but Amatos sucks. I know they are local and convenient and very great people that work there but they do a absolute shit job of cutting deer. They literally cut cross sections of the hind quarters with the bone still in it. So you get 3 different muscle groups In one steak. Then also don’t vacuum seal which I hate

• Like 1

Brian is a good dude at Amato’s...I don’t love how they package their meat but I brought him my buck last year at 9:00pm just so he would cape it out. He had no problem caping and quartering it for me to boot on the spot after an already long day. Just so happens I work with one of his best friends so...

You talking about the Brian who’s wife owns the king Kone? He is the man and the only reason I would use them in a pinch if I had to

• Like 1

You talking about the Brian who’s wife owns the king Kone? He is the man and the only reason I would use them in a pinch if I had to

Went to school with his daughter. She was a year or two younger than me. He's a great dude!

Went to school with his daughter Paige. She was a year or two younger than me. He's a great dude!

He really is, he actually signed doe tags over to me back when I used to hunt in 3s I had brought in like 6 deer that year and he was like you need this more than I do and handed it to me. Awesome guy, great to shoot the shit with, I just hate the way they cut and package

• Like 1

Not to knock biz at all but Amatos sucks. I know they are local and convenient and very great people that work there but they do a absolute shit job of cutting deer. They literally cut cross sections of the hind quarters with the bone still in it. So you get 3 different muscle groups In one steak. Then also don’t vacuum seal which I hate

Yea I only use Brian. The vacuum seal Thing has never bothered me. I eat it all in a couple of months and never had an issue. This time it was perfect for what I needed. I got 5 packs of backstraps and 13 packs of cutlets. The rest was chunked in clean bags, which was a must for Quaker Creek. I had 62-64lbs total boneless meat. I don’t get any cuts with bone in it.

17 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

How come?

Yeah how come? We use freezer paper closed with scotch tape on all our cuts and we butcher all our deer. Never had an issue.  The only things i will vacumn seal are finished products like sausage, dry sausage. Everything else like backstraps, cutlets, chopmeat are all wrapped in freezer paper. And i cant begin to tell you how many years we have used this method with no issues.

Yeah how come? We use freezer paper closed with scotch tape on all our cuts and we butcher all our deer. Never had an issue.  The only things i will vacumn seal are finished products like sausage, dry sausage. Everything else like backstraps, cutlets, chopmeat are all wrapped in freezer paper. And i cant begin to tell you how many years we have used this method with no issues.

They use some. Butcher paper and also foam trays with plastic wrap, I just find vacuum sealed is better it’s a personal choice I get. The big thing for me is the cross sections of the back leg through a band saw

• Like 1

The only time I've ever used a butcher to process a deer I've taken was on a couple of trips out west.  This is going on 25 years ago now and they vacuum packed the meat for me even back then so I would think any butcher worth his salt these days would be vacuum sealing for their customers.  Maybe it won't have any benefits in preserving the meat for a longer period of time, but I think it would be a small investment for a butcher to buy and use an industrial strength sealer.  I think it would only speed up his processing by using one.

15 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea I only use Brian. The vacuum seal Thing has never bothered me. I eat it all in a couple of months and never had an issue. This time it was perfect for what I needed. I got 5 packs of backstraps and 13 packs of cutlets. The rest was chunked in clean bags, which was a must for Quaker Creek. I had 62-64lbs total boneless meat. I don’t get any cuts with bone in it.

No roasts?   Is that where the "cutlets" come from?

• Like 1

No roasts?   Is that where the "cutlets" come from?

This is the form. Rather than getting other cuts I had them chunk 30lbs so I could take that for further processing. I never refuse cutlets or Backstraps.

27326b98b31ceef28ba73d4bd5094c2d.jpg

The cutlets looks like this below. They are very thin and pretty close to as good tasting as the Backstraps typically

71526c99b7bf2b2f1dcf86aea85d16b8.plist

6 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Hmmm, well that photo would tell me that their packaging is not too great.

I have no clue and really no care to be honest. The meat is clean and to me its no different than a grocery store. I'm not freezing it longer than 1-2 months anyway. This is a hunting journal, not a "freezing meat" debate lol. I cut up all my lake ontario salmon and put it in simple zip lock freezer bags. it's been months and the ones left are still perfect.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I have no clue and really no care to be honest. The meat is clean and to me its no different than a grocery store. I'm not freezing it longer than 1-2 months anyway. This is a hunting journal, not a "freezing meat" debate lol. I cut up all my lake ontario salmon and put it in simple zip lock freezer bags. it's been months and the ones left are still perfect.
HA!

15 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Great thread Biz and nice deer.  I am done with deer for a while this year, but the Mrs. will hopefully brave the 25 degree weather this weekend and try her luck.  Ill be in the duck blind. Good luck if you are working on your second tag. 

Thanks. I might go tomorrow morning to 3S stateland tomorrow for 2nd buck, but otherwise i'll relax all weekend and hunt WNY with rifle opening weekend for a buck

• Like 1