Another Massive Storm Coming Wednesday

The_Real_TCIII

Just drove from south buffalo to Cheektowaga pretty much 0 visibility. Getting off the walden ave exit i had to drive with my head out the driver window.

I stopped at Tops got some snacks a bread and dip get home and realize i forgot the bread at the register they can keep it.

20190130_131445.jpg

Edited by Red
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

This cold is reeking havoc on my outdoor equipment batteries. First was my riding mower/snowblower battery. Then I noticed my house generator had an error light. Yep battery. I brought the mower battery inside to warm up while I also have a light on the engine block to warm that up and my battery charger is on the generator battery until it's charged so I can then use the charger on the mower battery UGH!  

This cold!!!!!! I just want to sit inside and have a Hayburner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

This cold is reeking havoc on my outdoor equipment batteries. First was my riding mower/snowblower battery. Then I noticed my house generator had an error light. Yep battery. I brought the mower battery inside to warm up while I also have a light on the engine block to warm that up and my battery charger is on the generator battery until it's charged so I can then use the charger on the mower battery UGH!  
This cold!!!!!! I just want to sit inside and have a Hayburner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How old are the batteries? I just read at 0 degrees it will was a 60% drain

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, mlammerhirt said:

How old are the batteries? I just read at 0 degrees it will was a 60% drain

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Generator I have no idea as it came with the house when we bought it 4 years ago and all I have done is change the oil on it. The battery on the mower is from 2011 according to the sticker so its had a good life and understandable that it wont work in the cold. I'm hoping a full charge and it being warm will be enough to get it started. 

The bright side is we didn't get much snow and we own AWD and 4x4 vehicles so the need to actually clear the driveway is pretty low. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

They use to close the schools for the kids being bussed  in  when I was a kid.  Diesel would gel.  But the kids that lived close enough to walk still had to go. Never understood  it. Just the way it was.

Does it un-gel? I was told once that Woodys Arrow Lube is just diesel that was put in the freezer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moho81 said:

Generator I have no idea as it came with the house when we bought it 4 years ago and all I have done is change the oil on it. The battery on the mower is from 2011 according to the sticker so its had a good life and understandable that it wont work in the cold. I'm hoping a full charge and it being warm will be enough to get it started. 

The bright side is we didn't get much snow and we own AWD and 4x4 vehicles so the need to actually clear the driveway is pretty low. 

For our whole house generator, we change the battery every other year. Maybe overkill, maybe not. Something to consider.

• Like 1

This question might be more appropriate in a different or new thread, but at what point does the multiple days of below zero temps and wind chills, along with the snow, start to affect the deer population? I guess better now than in March, but still, at some point it would have to start taking a toll. Anyone have any thoughts on this question?

From the Buffalo News today:

1012152439-POLAR-VORTEX-25-1260x800.jpg

A desperate young deer scavenging for food in the recent snow covering in a yard in Elma nibbles on the branches of a discarded Christmas tree along Girdle Road in Elma on Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019. (Robert Kirkham/Buffalo News)

Edited by goosifer

This question might be more appropriate in a different or new thread, but at what point does the multiple days of below zero temps and wind chills, along with the snow, start to affect the deer population? I guess better now than in March, but still, at some point it would have to start taking a toll. Anyone have any thoughts on this question?
From the Buffalo News today:
1012152439-POLAR-VORTEX-25-1260x800.jpg&key=4b706d1198033a16652025cd6f1ee66406ba739cd72924cabfa5d8ceb45524d5
A desperate young deer scavenging for food in the recent snow covering in a yard in Elma nibbles on the branches of a discarded Christmas tree along Girdle Road in Elma on Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019. (Robert Kirkham/Buffalo News)

Deer and turkeys are built for this weather at this time of year. Storms like this late in spring or a hard crust on the snow is what takes a toll on them. And me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

Update from 3s...snow squalls from 3:30-3:45...1/2” dusting.
2 hour delay for schools tomorrow....too cold!
While I love a good snow day I am fearful of how soft we have become. It’s too cold for us to go to school- so confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe just smarter ,I wouldn't necessarily call the older generation harder. 

On 1/30/2019 at 9:58 AM, Belo said:

it's cold haha. The best feature on my craftsman is the electric start. I've rarely needed it except the first start of the season or when I had the pull rope break but it's clutch. just plug an extension cord in and press the button. 

I realize this doesn't help you at all. but things I would check are: flooded it, didn't prime enough, plug is gummed up just enough that the cold was the last straw in preventing the spark. very cold air is a lot more dense and could be throwing off your oxygen ratio. check your intake area/filter to make sure it's getting air. 

She lives! Took a million pulls but it started and ran great

• Like 3