NYCC 2019 inclusion plan

nyslowhand

FYI - Below is a direct cut & paste from an eMail I received from the NYCC yesterday. Simply to conserve space I did delete references to their membership drive and details regarding how to contact your legislator(s).

2019 Crossbow Update

The 2019 legislative session began January 9th. On January 15th the Governor released his budget proposal and unfortunately it did not include any sportsmen related proposals such as crossbow language this year. 

2019 is the beginning of a new two year legislative cycle and as everyone knows, a change in control of the Senate. All previous bills from the past two-year cycle have expired and we need to have new crossbow bills introduced.`

The Senate and Assembly have released the committee assignments and we are working to have Full Inclusion Crossbow Bills introduced in both the Senate and Assembly.

Everyone is anxious to get the ball rolling, but the introduction of Bills may take a few weeks to secure.

Now is the time for everyone to begin calling YOUR own State Legislators. They need to hear the positions on crossbows directly from their constituents. There are many new legislators in Albany. I will guarantee they will be hearing for those that oppose crossbow expansion of any kind very soon. Don't let them be the only voice they hear!

Please make the phone calls today! Ask your legislators to support classifying crossbows as archery equipment and to support Crossbow Full Inclusion.

When we started accepting 2019 memberships at the end of July,  we had  1100 members for 2018. That was a 20% increase over 2017. Since the beginning of August 2018 we have added over 400 new members. This is very positive growth, however we need to keep that number growing. If not already done, please make sure you renew and talk to your friends about joining. As our membership grows, so does our voice in Albany.

• Like 1

I will renew my membership. Though i don't see full inclusion happeming this year. I see no reason to not pass it for 55 and older. As many like myself,  are struggling to pull a bow. And hunter numbers are dwindling. 

I have updated to a newer compound this year.  But it's set at less than 50lbs. 

My bowhunting days are numbered. Pass the darn law will ya!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, grampy said:

I will renew my membership. Though i don't see full inclusion happeming this year. I see no reason to not pass it for 55 and older. As many like myself,  are struggling to pull a bow. And hunter numbers are dwindling. 

anti-crossbow guy here and I support the age inclusion.

dwindling hunter numbers is not a good reason though and easily countered by an increased deer take this year. 

• Like 1

Maybe I'm wrong but with many on the left against hunting and With Democrats taking over in Albany I would be worried they start taking away  some  hunting rights  I seriously doubt they will do anything to make it easier on us . 

Edited by Storm914

I am ok with the two weeks that we have in the southern zone now, especially since finally filling my first dmp with a crossbow last season.   I am very thankful that I can use it here, during the best two weeks of the rut.   That has always been my favorite time to hunt deer around home anyhow.   It is kind of nice to have a little more "free" time earlier for small game and turkey hunting (with guns).   Even though I have only hunted deer around home for those two weeks of archery season, in the five years that the crossbow has been legal, my success rate has trippled compared to the 30 years I hunted the whole season with a vertical.    

The crossbow crowd is really getting the shaft up in the northern zone however, with just three days before the guns open up.   They really ought to have two weeks up there.     Even (4) more days up there for the crossbows would be nice.  That way the pre-regular gun season would total two weeks including ML.   What is the reason for just (3) days now, while the southern zone gets (14) ?     Adding those extra (4) days would open up another weekend.  That would bring up some more tourism dollars.   I know I would unload some of mine up there, if I could hunt on an extra, early weekend in October.   I imagine there are lots of non-residents, who would do likewise.   

Thanks for your work towards full inclusion, which I would still like to see (state-wide).  The folks up north could certainly use a little more of your help than us "lucky" ones who live in the southern zone.                             

Edited by wolc123