When is technology TOO much...?

nyslowhand

IRC, there's been other similar threads about this very issue, but with current trends I'm a little surprised & shocked about certain technology advancements.

Gotta have our iPhones, but Face Time has a bug that can allows others to eavesdrop on our conversations unknowing to us. Was even mention about hackers actually initiating iPhone cams and viewing us w/o an actual Face Time call connection. Pretty sure Android phones aren't exempt from these sort of hacks! I also love the fact a cell phone signal can be used to track the user in an emergency situation. BUT.. knowing where I am ALL the time is just too creepy for this old fart. Thank you Google... :negative:

Just recently read where numerous auto makers that have key-less entry on their cars can be overridden with Radio Shack signal boosters. Won't be leaving my key-less vehicle running while I run into the store thinking no one can gain entry with my doors locked & w/o the key fob nearby!!!

This last example of TOO  much technology is one of my pet peeves. I understand the need for emergency braking, lane deviation alerts and crash/proximity signaling &/or manual overrides. What I'll never understand is the presumed need for driver-less vehicles! Who thought this was a good idea!!??!! No way am I getting into the  backseat of an Uber/Lyft vehicle with no driver behind the wheel!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

IRC, there's been other similar threads about this very issue, but with current trends I'm a little surprised & shocked about certain technology advancements.

Gotta have our iPhones, but Face Time has a bug that can allows others to eavesdrop on our conversations unknowing to us. Was even mention about hackers actually initiating iPhone cams and viewing us w/o an actual Face Time call connection. Pretty sure Android phones aren't exempt from these sort of hacks! I also love the fact a cell phone signal can be used to track the user in an emergency situation. BUT.. knowing where I am ALL the time is just too creepy for this old fart. Thank you Google... :negative:

Just recently read where numerous auto makers that have key-less entry on their cars can be overridden with Radio Shack signal boosters. Won't be leaving my key-less vehicle running while I run into the store thinking no one can gain entry with my doors locked & w/o the key fob nearby!!!

This last example of TOO  much technology is one of my pet peeves. I understand the need for emergency braking, lane deviation alerts and crash/proximity signaling &/or manual overrides. What I'll never understand is the presumed need for driver-less vehicles! Who thought this was a good idea!!??!! No way am I getting into the  backseat of an Uber/Lyft vehicle with no driver behind the wheel!!!

Self driving car only useful on a highway would never trust that thing in city or even town traffic but I can see it being used like cruise control on a highway for long trips .

self driving tech is coming.  They will prove it is safer than a human operation.  The computer wont be distracted, be eating, tired, under the influence, listening to the radio, texting etc....... and everyday how many times do people pull out in front of you, not come to a stop etc etc.   Insurance companies will show its safer to have a computer operate than people.  Tech is going to be exponential over the next ten years.  Only thing holding it back will be peoples worries but it will increase and younger people except and want it more.  I actually see cars in cities being driverless first.  Slower speeds and more need for transp.   Car sharing and "pod" cars have been in the plans for years for urban areas and tech is catching up to the idea.  

number one cause of accidents - driver error 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

6 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Every thing on your phone you can turn off, I always keep my location services off unless I am using my gps. I checked my FaceTime and it was off also. My next truck I am going with a base model work truck.

every vehicle now has a black box and computer - unless your buying retro your not getting away from the tech.  Most of it comes standard and every year that increases.   Within 5 years insurance companies will almost make you install a GPS device - we have them in every work vehicle already. And these will also be standard on vehicles as an option for you to track personal vehicle info and security etc.  Even base models. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

every vehicle now has a black box and computer - unless your buying retro your not getting away from the tech.  Most of it comes standard and every year that increases.   Within 5 years insurance companies will almost make you install a GPS device - we have them in every work vehicle already. And these will also be standard on vehicles as an option for you to track personal vehicle info and security etc.  Even base models. 

Right , I know I can’t get away from vehicles having modules etc. but I want to limit the amount of electrical controlled components. When I was a lead mechanic for a school bus contractor we installed gps in a few busses that the drivers were abusing. They were using the bus to run personal errands and such. 

What is too much:

1). Jobs that want you to do the whole hiring process online. Then get your schedule from a website and W2 from the website at year end.

2). Guys who want to hunt with their dogs, synchronising all dogs & units and coordinates and maps to the GPS units & collars

3). Trail cameras that send you immediate pictures to your phone or e-mail account

4). Personal drones

• Like 2

it is forecasted that by 2025 10% of the vehicle market will be autonomous(city transp and trucking will be first), we will have a mars mission, grocery stores will be converting a lot more to online warehouses where you shop and just pickup or have delivery, drones will be used heavily by police departments, each person will have 9 online/wireless connections,  and the scariest of all........3D selfies.......ahhhhhh.  :scared:

My question has always been how does education keep pace? When you can ask a computer any question in the world and basically get a video, schematic and diagram instantly - what would you go to school for????  

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

self driving tech is coming.  They will prove it is safer than a human operation.  The computer wont be distracted, be eating, tired, under the influence, listening to the radio, texting etc....... and everyday how many times do people pull out in front of you, not come to a stop etc etc.   Insurance companies will show its safer to have a computer operate than people.  Tech is going to be exponential over the next ten years.  Only thing holding it back will be peoples worries but it will increase and younger people except and want it more.  I actually see cars in cities being driverless first.  Slower speeds and more need for transp.   Car sharing and "pod" cars have been in the plans for years for urban areas and tech is catching up to the idea.  

number one cause of accidents - driver error 

Since when have you ever had a computer that did not  freeze up on you  eventually ?

Then what ? 

There better until they fail .

And when they fail it's going to be a disaster . I don't  think you will see anything but some type of self driving highway cruise control any time soon 

In town in a city no way are people going to trust that .

23 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Since when have you ever had a computer that did not  freeze up on you  eventually ?

Then what ? 

There better until they fail .

And when they fail it's going to be a disaster . I don't  think you will see anything but some type of self driving highway cruise control any time soon 

In town in a city no way are people going to trust that .

how many times have you had people screw up?  pull out in front of you, text and drive etc etc etc  My computer most likely wont freeze up today - but i bet a person pulls out in front of me.  Its coming whether we like it or not.  Which i actually dont like or use much tech but always interested in where it goes.  Computers run nuclear power plants etc for the most part.  Yes with human over sight - but less and less of it.  

the delivery systems are hoping for this.  Look across the country and no one has enough CDL drivers.  The young dont want to do it and the demands are more and more.  They would love automated trucks 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

any of that "tracking tech" which can also save your life fwiw, can be disabled with a simple unplugging of the wire harness. 

2 hours ago, Uncle Nicky said:

What is too much:

1). Jobs that want you to do the whole hiring process online. Then get your schedule from a website and W2 from the website at year end.

4). Personal drones

applications and w2's online are so much easier on the employee and more environmentally friendly. If you haven't learned how to use a computer in 2019, then they really don't want you anyhow. Not sure what your beef is here.

What's wrong with drones? 

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Belo said:

applications and w2's online are so much easier on the employee and more environmentally friendly. If you haven't learned how to use a computer in 2019, then they really don't want you anyhow. Not sure what your beef is here.

What's wrong with drones? 

The whole online employment thing works out great for the employer, but only if they stay on top of maintaining all the information, which doesn't seem to be case a lot of the time with my wife & my kids' jobs. I work on a computer, we all know how to use one. But it just seems like one more lazy management tool, for managers who are lazy to begin with. One less set of expenses for the employer, and one more set for the employee who is underpaid already (smart phone, the bill that comes with it). And the whole "paper kills trees"  line is a crock, they grow trees for paper on plantations and huge company owned forests, they're not clearing virgin forests to make paper. A computer or monitor or cell phone or batteries that winds up in a landfill aren't especially environmentally friendly.

Nobody needs a drone, they are expensive play toys for people who probably have too many toys already. I know I don't want someone flying one around over my yard taking pictures or driving the dogs nuts.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Pass any Bus Stop in the Morning. You might have 10+ kids there. All playing games on their Cell Phones or Texting. No one Talking to eachother...  Handwriting Skills are no more. The Flawless Beautiful handwriting is almost a thing of the past... Replaced with Chicken Scratch by today's young people.  And make no mistake-- Handwriting is who you are!  Now you punch in letters on your phone. Get 3 letters and your word pops up. Less Thinking being done. Too much Technology already. Pretty soon Drones will be delivering packages to your door.

I have a "kid" who can't write very well with his hands, but he can think critically and code enough that he's automated six figures worth of savings in his first year.

I can work with that. I don't care if he spells cat with a "K."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rob-c said:

Every thing on your phone you can turn off, I always keep my location services off unless I am using my gps. I checked my FaceTime and it was off also. My next truck I am going with a base model work truck.

Its weird though, I have my phone in airplane mode a lot and yet once in a while a text will pop in

3 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

Pass any Bus Stop in the Morning. You might have 10+ kids there. All playing games on their Cell Phones or Texting. No one Talking to eachother...  Handwriting Skills are no more. The Flawless Beautiful handwriting is almost a thing of the past... Replaced with Chicken Scratch by today's young people.  And make no mistake-- Handwriting is who you are!  Now you punch in letters on your phone. Get 3 letters and your word pops up. Less Thinking being done. Too much Technology already. Pretty soon Drones will be delivering packages to your door.

Im 47 and my handwriting is mortifying, always has been. If thats who I am I have issues lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Shouldnt in airplane mode though

That's not entirely true. Your phone is likely setup to transmit certain message types via wifi. If your phone is connected to that wifi successfully, then you can send and receive those types of messages while on airplane mode. There are SMS, MMS, iMessage, etc. 

I do this all of the time while on Delta flights (you can text back and forth on their platform) and when I'm in the USVI to avoid picking up a BVI signal and costing me $$$.

• Like 2