When is technology TOO much...?

nyslowhand

13 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

You know--- Cashier's work so hard. They put up with alot too from customers. I just don't like to see ever increasing Automated Checkouts when there are Women and Men as well who need that Cashier Job.

I agree , but when you can check out twice as fast doing it yourself vs the cashier person. I’ll go to the self check out every time..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

They still need people to watch over those machines I noticed .

Gotta keep people honest, wife and  I watched a lady skip scanning every third item one time shortly after they were installed .  hence cashier watch person and now the local store has installed cameras on each machine.. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Gotta keep people honest, wife and  I watched a lady skip scanning every third item one time shortly after they were installed .  hence cashier watch person and now the local store has installed cameras on each machine.. 

Yea and   many times  you see items that can not be scanned and they have to call the guy over to ring it up .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rob-c said:

I agree , but when you can check out twice as fast doing it yourself vs the cashier person. I’ll go to the self check out every time..

Please don't see this as a poke at you, because I am sometimes guilty of it myself, but I truly worry that we are automating and robotizing (is this a word?) out of existence. Foreign contractors from India coming to take our office jobs, Mexicans taking our blue collar jobs, and self-serve cashiers & kiosks taking retail positions. Driverless cars to transport goods = driving jobs going away. The whole time our population (US citizens) continues to grow, what are these people of the future going to do for work? I read that at some point it will be cheaper to just send the masses a free check to live on rather than go to work, again, maybe a tinfoil hat theory, but still a little scary.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ODYSSEUS said:

I still don't like the Fact that anyone who knows some about Drones can send them most anywhere they like. Imagine hearing (Bees at a Hive)- That's what the Drones sound like- at your Bedroom Window that has the Curtains open! Just this past Summer, I was walking home from the Library and for some minutes, I heard (Bees At A Hive). No more then 40 feet up and to my Left, I saw my First Drone-- now Hovering because, I stopped. It disappeared (Finally) as , I got my Cell Phone out for a Picture. Just the knowledge that someone who operates that Drone is Watching you is most unsettling! The exact same thing  happened to one of my co-workers workers a few years back. --- Weird!!

We are all on many cameras a day. Traffic cameras, security cameras, other people's dash cams, etc. The drone somewhat announces it's presence with it's noise. Smile and look pretty!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ODYSSEUS said:

You know--- Cashier's work so hard. They put up with alot too from customers. I just don't like to see ever increasing Automated Checkouts when there are Women and Men as well who need that Cashier Job.

yeah every walmart cashier i've ever worked with has been super speedy, attentive and not talking with her coworker or friend.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Uncle Nicky said:

Please don't see this as a poke at you, because I am sometimes guilty of it myself, but I truly worry that we are automating and robotizing (is this a word?) out of existence. Foreign contractors from India coming to take our office jobs, Mexicans taking our blue collar jobs, and self-serve cashiers & kiosks taking retail positions. Driverless cars to transport goods = driving jobs going away. The whole time our population (US citizens) continues to grow, what are these people of the future going to do for work? I read that at some point it will be cheaper to just send the masses a free check to live on rather than go to work, again, maybe a tinfoil hat theory, but still a little scary.

I agree with you 100%, I don’t  like it myself  but when I have to wait in line twice as long because it obvious the cashier doesn’t  want to be there and is taking their sweet time it pisses me off. 

I do self checkout ,except at Lowe’s on Fivemile. There is a hot blond gal, with a nice tan, yoga pants, and smells like vanilla running a register during the daytime there . I go after the gym just to buy a gator aid .....

On 1/30/2019 at 11:11 AM, phade said:

I have a "kid" who can't write very well with his hands, but he can think critically and code enough that he's automated six figures worth of savings in his first year.

I can work with that. I don't care if he spells cat with a "K."

Imagine how far he could get if knew how to spell cat?

On 1/30/2019 at 12:08 PM, Belo said:

can someone translate this for me?

We have the technology but that would take away the fun.

On 1/30/2019 at 3:04 PM, Uncle Nicky said:

I saw a show a few years ago on the Discovery channel, I wish I could remember the name of it now. Obviously, it was just a show, but there were a number of scientists & sociologists that were giving their opinions in-between scenes.

Anyway, the premise was, a virus shows up and kills 95% of the population. Society as we know it breaks down, and all utilities and services (including the government) shut down for good.. Those left had to figure out a way to fend for themselves, join roving gangs, or find their way to protected towns, if they had a trade or skill they were more valuable. Eventually all food and gasoline ran out, and people had to start all over from scratch, growing their own food and relying on horses & mules for plowing and transportataion. Since the internet is gone, people had to rely on books again, and the latest technology information stopped around 2000 (when the internet became mainstream).

It really opened my eyes to the world of sh*t most of us would be in if our current society and government were to just go away.

People will help each other out for about three days. On day four, they will kill you for a D battery.

It's all surmise, but Cormac McCarthy's, The Road seems a pretty good illustration of what will happen after an extinction level event. (It ain't great. Helpful hint, keep a bullet for yourself.) The book is a devastating read - I felt the blood drain out of me - and the excellent movie stays pretty tight to the realism.

To the answer to the OP's question, technology becomes too much when it ceases to affect the quality of human life and instead alters the nature of life itself or what it is to be human.

That said, I look forward to my sexy robot body.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, left field said:

Imagine how far he could get if knew how to spell cat?

We have the technology but that would take away the fun.

People will help each other out for about three days. On day four, they will kill you for a D battery.

It's all surmise, but Cormac McCarthy's, The Road seems a pretty good illustration of what will happen after an extinction level event. (It ain't great. Helpful hint, keep a bullet for yourself.) The book is a devastating read - I felt the blood drain out of me - and the excellent movie stays pretty tight to the realism.

To the answer to the OP's question, technology becomes too much when it ceases to affect the quality of human life and instead alters the nature of life itself or what it is to be human.

That said, I look forward to my sexy robot body.

Grammar much?

Edited by phade

Showing up to this game a little late.

#1, they don't speak Spanish in Spain.  They speak Catalan.  It's actually a mixture of Spanish and French.  It's just so much like Spanish that people think it's a accent or a different dialect.

#2. Hackers are every where and it's a constant struggle to keep ahead of them.  You'll never get rid of them.  Lock picking didn't become a thing until after we invented the pad lock.

#3. New technology is always requires a adjustment period and a test phase to work out the kinks.  But it doesn't mean the final product is going to be worst.

#4.  The biggest cause of vehicle deaths is human error.  Mainly drunk driving.  Look how many people are killed every year by drunk drivers.  Heck we even use that on our 2nd amendment argument.  But one faulty self driving car kills one person and people go ape-shit.  Can you imagine what it'll be like once the self driving car gets perfected?  When you can have people go out and drink, then stumble into their car and lay down and just say "take me home" and eliminate drunk driving all together?

5 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Showing up to this game a little late.

#1, they don't speak Spanish in Spain.  They speak Catalan.  It's actually a mixture of Spanish and French.  It's just so much like Spanish that people think it's a accent or a different dialect.

I believe Castilian (which is formal Spanish) is the official language of Spain.  Same that is spoken in my wife's former country Guatemala.  But yes, there are other languages/variants spoken there - same as here in the good ole USA.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:04 AM, ODYSSEUS said:

I still don't like the Fact that anyone who knows some about Drones can send them most anywhere they like. Imagine hearing (Bees at a Hive)- That's what the Drones sound like- at your Bedroom Window that has the Curtains open! Just this past Summer, I was walking home from the Library and for some minutes, I heard (Bees At A Hive). No more then 40 feet up and to my Left, I saw my First Drone-- now Hovering because, I stopped. It disappeared (Finally) as , I got my Cell Phone out for a Picture. Just the knowledge that someone who operates that Drone is Watching you is most unsettling! The exact same thing  happened to one of my co-workers workers a few years back. --- Weird!!

I welcome drones to hover outside my bedroom window ,it's their sanity at risk.

• Like 1

Technology enhances jobs and opportunities in the overwhelming majority of scenarios. Nothing is perfect, but this cycle has been proven for eons. Dating back to early mankind.

A more relevant example. The ATM. When the ATM was released, there was panic in the streets that banks would disappear and tellers would be non-existent. Really, what the ATM did was take on the lower-value add transactional work for the teller and instead allowed the teller to focus on client service and higher value-add responsibilities. The net result? There are exponentially MORE banks and MORE tellers today than prior to the ATM's release. It spurred significant growth in the industry and created many more jobs. The opposite of the fear mongers' nightmares.

Automated cashiers just result in more people to add value on other client-centric focus areas.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

These threads always make me chuckle. If any of the paranoid people in them actually knew how advanced things were behind the scenes, they would all throw every piece of electronics they have purchased since 2010 into the river.

This is true that's why I switch  to 2 cans and a string when I want to have a private conversation with someone. 

images.jpeg-2.jpg

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Merlot said:

Can see it now...someone's car driving itself while occupants lighting up a bong in the back seat....aa well as doing other crazy things...

Back in the day we got pulled over while smoking hash on a pin that was stuck on a coaster and under a glass .

Buddy got a ticket, but that was it, and the car was pretty Smokey .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

Technology enhances jobs and opportunities in the overwhelming majority of scenarios. Nothing is perfect, but this cycle has been proven for eons. Dating back to early mankind.

A more relevant example. The ATM. When the ATM was released, there was panic in the streets that banks would disappear and tellers would be non-existent. Really, what the ATM did was take on the lower-value add transactional work for the teller and instead allowed the teller to focus on client service and higher value-add responsibilities. The net result? There are exponentially MORE banks and MORE tellers today than prior to the ATM's release. It spurred significant growth in the industry and created many more jobs. The opposite of the fear mongers' nightmares.

Automated cashiers just result in more people to add value on other client-centric focus areas.

Look a the Liddites , who smashed waving looms, in fear that they would take work from hand weavers .

The fear goes back centuries, yet the standard of living keeps going up .

• Like 2