When is technology TOO much...?

nyslowhand

5 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

self driving tech is coming.  They will prove it is safer than a human operation.  The computer wont be distracted, be eating, tired, under the influence, listening to the radio, texting etc....... and everyday how many times do people pull out in front of you, not come to a stop etc etc.   Insurance companies will show its safer to have a computer operate than people.  Tech is going to be exponential over the next ten years.  Only thing holding it back will be peoples worries but it will increase and younger people except and want it more.  I actually see cars in cities being driverless first.  Slower speeds and more need for transp.   Car sharing and "pod" cars have been in the plans for years for urban areas and tech is catching up to the idea.  

number one cause of accidents - driver error 

When a computer goes off line its totally off when a guy crashes into you usually he breaks shuts the car off .

Computer goes down crashes and could  keep  going and crash again get what I'm saying .

Even if this does not happen as often as human error when it does the potential for human injury is much greater . Especially when the computers in these cars start to get older .

It is More of something that will be used on highways not city streets . Like a inhansed cruise control. 

Edited by Storm914

1 hour ago, Uncle Nicky said:

The whole online employment thing works out great for the employer, but only if they stay on top of maintaining all the information, which doesn't seem to be case a lot of the time with my wife & my kids' jobs. I work on a computer, we all know how to use one. But it just seems like one more lazy management tool, for managers who are lazy to begin with. One less set of expenses for the employer, and one more set for the employee who is underpaid already (smart phone, the bill that comes with it). And the whole "paper kills trees"  line is a crock, they grow trees for paper on plantations and huge company owned forests, they're not clearing virgin forests to make paper. A computer or monitor or cell phone or batteries that winds up in a landfill aren't especially environmentally friendly.

I still don't understand your point, and I'm not even get into the socioeconomic and footprint of paper. You wouldn't change your mind even after I cited 100 papers proving you wrong.

Just now, Belo said:

I still don't understand your point, and I'm not even get into the socioeconomic and footprint of paper. You wouldn't change your mind even after I cited 100 papers proving you wrong.

See that, I've taught you a valuable lesson in human nature. Aren't you glad that you signed onto the website today? :)

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I used to get so pissed in school when they made me learn cursive.  Biggest waste of time ever. 

the same generation that is pissed they had to learn cursive is pissed that kids don't write letters or mail anything anymore. It's kind of funny when you think about it.

My father in law still goes to the bank every saturday to pay bills and writes and mails out checks. Yes, there is a level of security risk with online bill pay, but it's instant and confirmed paper trail. Never lost, always guaranteed and doesn't require a trip to the post office or a stamp and check.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

the same generation that is pissed they had to learn cursive is pissed that kids don't write letters or mail anything anymore. It's kind of funny when you think about it.

My father in law still goes to the bank every saturday to pay bills and writes and mails out checks. Yes, there is a level of security risk with online bill pay, but it's instant and confirmed paper trail. Never lost, always guaranteed and doesn't require a trip to the post office or a stamp and check.

We can all bitch all we like In the future you will have to classes of people one will be natural the other will be some type of genetically modified or some type of cyborg.  Lol 

You can't stop it at this point   more then likely one will get rid of the other scary isn't it . Its just a matter of time  , nobody knows for sure,  20  years 50 years 100 years  but at  some point it will happen. 

2 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

We can all bitch all we like In the future you will have to classes of people one will be natural the other will be some type of genetically modified or some type of cyborg.  Lol 

You can't stop it at this point   more then likely one will get rid of the other scary isn't it . Its just a matter of time  , nobody knows for sure,  20  years 50 years 100 years  but at  some point it will happen. 

Are you sure some of us aren't cyborg already.  Something to think about.

Ugh. I've been made by so many deer cause I'm either on this site or facebook.

But the guys from "the hunting public" recently bought a Wal mart bow and accessories and sat on a 5 gal bucket with no camo on and killed a doe. Self filmed. Which inspires me to hunt from the ground more and keep it simple.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I'm disappointed in you belo someone who brags about his superior language skills does not even know Mexicans speak differently then Spanish from Spain.  

Coming from a bilingual Spanish speaking family, there are words/phrases used that are used in various Spanish speaking countries that others don't use and there are different accents.  That said, it is the same language - Spanish.  My wife can go to any Spanish speaking country and fully understand them.  So calling it Mexican would be like saying they speak Scottish in Scotland.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Coming from a bilingual Spanish speaking family, there are words/phrases used that are used in various Spanish speaking countries that others don't use and there are different accents.  That said, it is the same language - Spanish.  My wife can go to any Spanish speaking country and fully understand them.  So calling it Mexican would be like saying they speak Scottish in Scotland.

Kinda  of understand you .

It's like trying to understand someone from the deep south  :) they  know right away you are not from there 

Edited by Storm914
  • Like 1

I love the latest technology.

My wife and I were watching some show a while ago about some family living in the 1930's (don't remember what show, I was only half paying attention as I was on my iPad - lol), and said wouldn't it have been nice to grow up then, life was so simple. I kind of agreed and then thought of all of the technology I'd have to give up - no thanks!

No internet, smart phones, drones, tech that newer cars have, satellite TV, Nest thermostats, online shopping and bill pay, etc. No thanks, I like my tech and I like how it continues to exponentially advance.

And I simply am not going to be that old guy who grumbles "back in my day, we didn't have _________".

• Like 1

Its all relative.  I recall my grandfather (who probably saw one of the greatest periods of technological innovation in his lifetime) talk about how he had to shovel coal and light his furnace every morning.  Most didn't have a car.  His family was reasonably well off since they had gas lights.  But he owned an iphone before he passed on 7 years ago.  He just rolled with it and frankly never really talked about "the good ole days" except missing his wife.  Probably why he lived to 97 as he lived in the moment.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Kinda  of understand you .

It's like trying to understand someone from the deep south  :) they  know right away you are not from there 

yes, but you don't refer to Americans from Georgia as speaking Georgian. There is a dialect, not a language. Just like we speak English, not American. Are you tracking yet?