did I sin?

So i cleaned out my gun safe.  Sold some guns.  Yes, yes I know - for shame......    But i had 5 guns for a 3 week deer season and never fired a shot or filled a tag this year or last (did fire once) gun season.  Tired of having safe queens that never see the light of day.  And i am not a collector guy so i have passed some on.  Gave a shotgun to a buddys son last year as well.  So i am down to one deer rifle and one deer shotgun.  The rifle is a winchester 30/30 ive had since i was 16 and will never get rid of cause me and my Dad split it and its a shooter.  So this will be my primary gun for deer hunting.  This whole season was thinking - why do i have all these?  They all do the same thing.  Still have guns for birds and small game as well - but 5 guns for a 3 week season just doesnt make sense to me - just excess.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

So i cleaned out my gun safe.  Sold some guns.  Yes, yes I know - for shame......    But i had 5 guns for a 3 week deer season and never fired a shot or filled a tag this year or last (did fire once) gun season.  Tired of having safe queens that never see the light of day.  And i am not a collector guy so i have passed some on.  Gave a shotgun to a buddys son last year as well.  So i am down to one deer rifle and one deer shotgun.  The rifle is a winchester 30/30 ive had since i was 16 and will never get rid of cause me and my Dad split it and its a shooter.  So this will be my primary gun for deer hunting.  This whole season was thinking - why do i have all these?  They all do the same thing.  Still have guns for birds and small game as well - but 5 guns for a 3 week season just doesnt make sense to me - just excess.  

BLASPHEMY, REPENT OR SUFFER ETERNAL DAMNATION!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

all my long guns serve a purpose and none overlap, so I'm behind your decision. The only reason I might have additional guns is for sentimental reasons. my bird gun has 2 barrels and it would be nice if I had a dedicated turkey and dedicated waterfowl/field gun though because the turkey gun has optics on it that need to be "verified" once I switch barrels back.

There are also a few long guns I'd like but would probably never actually buy like the m1 garand. Pistols are a bit of different story for me, however each of them that i have are very different. I don't really have any similar guns ie a full size glock/M&P/baretta etc.

I don't know how many guns I have. Quite a few. The only one I use regularly is my deer rifle. I couldn't tell you the last time any of the others have been fired. I wouldn't get rid of any of them. I either purchased them for a reason or they were handed down to me. 

But I don't have any problem with what other people do with their property. To each their own!

DON'T BECOME A FUDD!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I have been thinking the same lately, I have 3 guns that I have not shot in probably over 5 yrs easy. 

1 hour ago, grampy said:

I have more than I use. I'll let my grandson sort em out one day.

grampy actually make s real good point. Guns generally appreciate in value and in 2019 who the heck knows what they could be worth someday if we continue down the path we're on. I met a guy in MS that has several class 3 firearms. They've all appreciated since he bought them and told me that he looks at them more as investments than guns (although it's fun as hell to squeeze off his uzi on full auto). Anyhow, his point is that his kid will inherit them and can sell or keep them. Or if shtf he can defend himself.

So holding onto a firearm isn't the worst idea either.

Lol.... I wonder the same thing when buying camo... I use the same pants and a couple jackets the whole year but have so much damn camo in my basement. I try and give items away to my little cousins.

I currently have 2 bows and 2 guns and a xbow but i don't see myself ever parting with any of them ever...

They are your firearms, do with them what you wish. Been wheeling and dealing with firearms all my adult life, I have some guns I purchased over fifty years ago. I do like first hand experience so I have owned and messed around with a fair number. It is not an absolute that I have to hunt with every one on a regular basis. When I get a gun I like it stays around, they do get shot time to time at targets or are hunted with,  the ones that do not catch my fancy or measure up go down the road. Looking back with hindsight I know I have made more than  a few boneheaded deals that I wish had not done.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

I've bought and sold so many firearms over the years, my log book is an inch thick.  I buy them for use and collecting, but if they don't work for me in the use department, they may be sold.  The collectibles are always for sale if somebody makes me an offer I can't refuse. 

I love having had the opportunity to become very familiar with lots of different firearms.  Come to think of it, I feel the same about women, which is why I stay single.  

;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Belo said:

grampy actually make s real good point. Guns generally appreciate in value and in 2019 who the heck knows what they could be worth someday if we continue down the path we're on. I met a guy in MS that has several class 3 firearms. They've all appreciated since he bought them and told me that he looks at them more as investments than guns (although it's fun as hell to squeeze off his uzi on full auto). Anyhow, his point is that his kid will inherit them and can sell or keep them. Or if shtf he can defend himself.

So holding onto a firearm isn't the worst idea either.

unless its a classic i disagree.  Just like a car its worth less the minute it leaves the lot.  They dont appreciatte in value unless its some sort of collector item.