did I sin?

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

unless its a classic i disagree.  Just like a car its worth less the minute it leaves the lot.  They dont appreciatte in value unless its some sort of collector item.  

Not true.  A new gun will not be worth the new price after it's used, but over time it will be worth more than what it cost new.  The price of new guns goes up fast, so the value of used guns goes up too.  The collector items simply appreciate faster.   ALL firearms go up in value over time if they are maintained in good condition and working order.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Not true.  A new gun will not be worth the new price after it's used, but over time it will be worth more than what it cost new.  The price of new guns goes up fast, so the value of used guns goes up too.  The collector items simply appreciate faster.   ALL firearms go up in value over time if they are maintained in good condition and working order.

how much time?  i did a bunch of checking as i just sold these guns - but none of them were over 5 years old.  All the online places were def less for prices than a new one - maybe if the line is discontinued and cant buy the same one new?  I cant see how a used gun goes up in value if you can buy the same one new.  All the guns i have seen guys sell here on this site have been for less than a new one. 

20 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

unless its a classic i disagree.  Just like a car its worth less the minute it leaves the lot.  They dont appreciatte in value unless its some sort of collector item.  

i was leaning more towards the regulations required to acquire guns. The depreciation isn't nearly as great either. 

How much time?  However much time it takes for the price of a new one to go up to the point a used one is a better buy at it's original price.  Plus, when changes are made to the new ones that make a used one a preferred buy, the used one will be more sought after.  There are many variables, but you will not find any firearm 20 or 30 years old in good shape, that won't sell for at least what it cost new.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

how much time?  i did a bunch of checking as i just sold these guns - but none of them were over 5 years old.  All the online places were def less for prices than a new one - maybe if the line is discontinued and cant buy the same one new?  I cant see how a used gun goes up in value if you can buy the same one new.  All the guns i have seen guys sell here on this site have been for less than a new one. 

I lost so many guns in a boating mishap, after the Safe Act. My grandson is a strong swimmer. Perhaps he will find them one day.

The monetary value, is way down on the list for why I have guns. Though I do have a couple worth a few bucks. I don't really think of any of them in dollars and cents.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, grampy said:

I lost so many guns in a boating mishap, after the Safe Act. My grandson is a strong swimmer. Perhaps he will find them one day.

The monetary value, is way down on the list for why I have guns. Though I do have a couple worth a few bucks. I don't really think of any of them in dollars and cents.

def agree Grampy - have given away a few to buddies kids to get them hunting.  Or loaned to buddies.  But since i dont have kids, dont have anyone to hand down to.  My hunting buddy has a son that has no problem with his dad hunting but also has no interest in it either.  Its pretty cool that your grandson is into the outdoors and he will sure cherish those guns.  The one deer rifle i kept was the one my Dad went halves on just for that reason.  I wouldnt sell it for $5000 and its only worth prob $500 cash wise. 

and i have guns that were passed to me form family that passed and they wanted me to have them - they wont ever leave my gun case 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

When I was 14 , I bought a Marlin 39-A 22 cal lever action . Shot a lot of woodchucks with it when I was a kid . When I retired , I shot woodchucks for local farmers and graduated to a .223 . I hadn't shot the Marlin in 18 years and gave it to my youngest son this spring . I told him to take care of my baby . I think it is in good hands . I have a couple of old single shot shot guns , a double barrel Hopkins & Allen 12 ga and a Winchester 12 ga with the Winchester Recoil Reduction . At some point in the next 2 - 3 years , I will give these to my sons . That will still leave me with a few guns .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've sold a bunch of guns over the years that I wish I could have back, and I have a bunch now that I really wish I had gotten rid of.

I have friends who collect comic books and/or baseball cards and who brag about what their collections are worth. The stuff is worth what somebody will give you for it. That's all. I start my wood stove with free local newspapers and old phone books. I wouldn't pay anything for comic books or baseball cards. But that's just me.

• Like 2

I do a lot of buying and selling of traditional bows.  If you buy them right, its not hard to recoup your money or even make money.  But selling used guns is now a pain in the neck since an FFL is required.  It typically deters me from selling guns that I don't even use anymore.  So the collection tends to grow.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I do a lot of buying and selling of traditional bows.  If you buy them right, its not hard to recoup your money or even make money.  But selling used guns is now a pain in the neck since an FFL is required.  It typically deters me from selling guns that I don't even use anymore.  So the collection tends to grow.

Actually, selling a firearm has not changed.  You can still ship it yourself via UPS when you send it directly to an FFL.

Private sales in NY must now go through an FFL, but the buyer should be paying that fee.

I have more guns than I need, but I need more guns than I have.....

I have a few that I have never squeezed the trigger on. They were something I wanted or the deal was too good to pass up. I think I have only sold 4 guns in my life. 2 of them I was offered more than I thought they were worth so I had to. 

9 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Actually, selling a firearm has not changed.  You can still ship it yourself via UPS when you send it directly to an FFL.

Private sales in NY must now go through an FFL, but the buyer should be paying that fee.

But it is still a bigger PITA than it use to be. Use to be a a little fondling and staring and then the exchange of cash and you both go about your own ways.  Wait are we still talking about gun sales?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Over about the past two years I sold quite a few....I wanted to go on a moose hunt, and the most fair way of paying for it was to thin my closet. Most of the guns were duplicates (some triplicates), I had way more shotguns then I would ever be able to use, and a lot of dead wood. Ultimately I was able to raise most of the price of the hunt. In my opinion, whether guns keep going up is ….iffey. Some folks think every piece of everyday gun is worth a mint...NYS has made it much more difficult for casual sales, with the resulting sales to dealers, etc. taking a killing. I did to my expectations going through an auction house that does a regular firearm business.

What's the point in selling guns?  What're you gonna do with the money?  Waste it away on something else, probably, something that won't have the longevity and usefulness.  

I think I have about 30 long guns.  Some are family heirlooms.  Some are collector pieces.  Some I just like.  Some I use.  I just don't see selling any of them.  In fact, I'll probably buy 3 or 4 more this year.  Just have to get another safe....

Edited by jmark

3 hours ago, grampy said:

I lost a few guns the same way , coincidentally enough it was right after the Safe Act . 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Anyone tells you the current crop of Ruger Americans and the like will appreciate in time also has a bridge to sell you.

Unless some sort of commemorative NIB and never untouched will it ever be worth anything.

You have to be really educated on what to buy and the pricing to make money on rifle sales in the under $1000 market. I try to make a little or just move sideways and play with something I want too. Once in a while I'll make a good buck if I have a quick response and see something pop up thats undervalued.

I've bought a few what many would think are "higher end" guns and in general its easier to make money on them; but you have a bigger outlay and risk. <<<<no surprise there, welcome to the real world.

I do better selling decent level optics then gun sales; but again you have to pounce on a deal in order to flip them into  profitable cash.

I have lots of choices in my safe for anything; I think that most would be worth a bit more than I paid; very few a bit less. I tell my nieces there is a list in the safe and a dealer I trust local, take the whole pile and take whatever he gives you for them. Then they can take the money to pay for a dumpster to put all the taxidermy in. LOL 

• Like 4

20 years from now, even a Ruger American will be worth more than you paid for it.  Maybe when you account for the devaluation of the dollar over 20 years it won't be worth as much, but considering the use you got out of it, it's still a better investment than a college education today.

Besides, if things take a real dump in this world in the future, any rifle will be worth it's weight in gold.  I once saw a bumper sticker that may be very prophetic.  It said, "Ammo, the currency of the 21st century".

Any firearm purchased at a fair price is never a bad purchase.

all my long guns serve a purpose and none overlap, so I'm behind your decision. The only reason I might have additional guns is for sentimental reasons. my bird gun has 2 barrels and it would be nice if I had a dedicated turkey and dedicated waterfowl/field gun though because the turkey gun has optics on it that need to be "verified" once I switch barrels back.
There are also a few long guns I'd like but would probably never actually buy like the m1 garand. Pistols are a bit of different story for me, however each of them that i have are very different. I don't really have any similar guns ie a full size glock/M&P/baretta etc.

Dude you should 100% get a m1 it was the best thing I ever did. I loved it so much I had to go buy a m1 carbine too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Rattler said:

20 years from now, even a Ruger American will be worth more than you paid for it.  Maybe when you account for the devaluation of the dollar over 20 years it won't be worth as much, but considering the use you got out of it, it's still a better investment than a college education today.

Besides, if things take a real dump in this world in the future, any rifle will be worth it's weight in gold.  I once saw a bumper sticker that may be very prophetic.  It said, "Ammo, the currency of the 21st century".

Any firearm purchased at a fair price is never a bad purchase.

If I have to wait 20 years or for the apocalypse I'm not thinking thats a great investment.  Lol.   A can of pinto beans will be valuable then too. 

14 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Anyone tells you the current crop of Ruger Americans and the like will appreciate in time also has a bridge to sell you.

Unless some sort of commemorative NIB and never untouched will it ever be worth anything.

You have to be really educated on what to buy and the pricing to make money on rifle sales in the under $1000 market. I try to make a little or just move sideways and play with something I want too. Once in a while I'll make a good buck if I have a quick response and see something pop up thats undervalued.

I've bought a few what many would think are "higher end" guns and in general its easier to make money on them; but you have a bigger outlay and risk. <<<<no surprise there, welcome to the real world.

I do better selling decent level optics then gun sales; but again you have to pounce on a deal in order to flip them into  profitable cash.

I have lots of choices in my safe for anything; I think that most would be worth a bit more than I paid; very few a bit less. I tell my nieces there is a list in the safe and a dealer I trust local, take the whole pile and take whatever he gives you for them. Then they can take the money to pay for a dumpster to put all the taxidermy in. LOL 

the uncertainty of gun regulations make it very hard to predict. It's really no different than trying to predict stocks in a way. However, A new Ruger American can be had for around $400. My guess is in 5 years you can still get 250+ for it. So maybe it's not an investment, but it holds its value. There aren't many other things in your house (especially electronics) that hold their value like that.

Now if you need the money or space now, by all means it's fine to sell. But I would also say that holding onto guns you don't use isn't the worst thing either.

12 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Dude you should 100% get a m1 it was the best thing I ever did. I loved it so much I had to go buy a m1 carbine too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I want one so bad you have no idea. But it's a nice to have. Right now I need a new bow, kitchen floors, a shed, pool fence etc. lol.

12 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

If I have to wait 20 years or for the apocalypse I'm not thinking thats a great investment.  Lol.   A can of pinto beans will be valuable then too. 

it's not a great investment no. It's like the guy who held onto his car from the 70's. It stayed in his garage taking up space and his wife nagged at him for 40 years and now it's finally worth something. So was it worth it? lol.