How is everyone ? Nobody’s frozen solid I hope

rob-c

I went out this morning to the pleasant surprise of a flat tire on my truck....I didn't relish the idea of changing it in sub zero temps.. Shucks, I'd have to get out the manual just to find the freakin' JACK...

Fortunately,  I hooked the air hose up to it and it inflated enough to get down the street to a garage..Must have run over something, because it is losing air fast... Waiting for a phone call now to go get it..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I went out this morning to the pleasant surprise of a flat tire on my truck....I didn't relish the idea of changing it in sub zero temps.. Shucks, I'd have to get out the manual just to find the freakin' JACK...

Fortunately,  I hooked the air hose up to it and it inflated enough to get down the street to a garage..Must have run over something, because it is losing air fast... Waiting for a phone call now to go get it..

you don't have a jack?

I have been using one of these to keep the four wheeler battery up to snuff.
12 Volt Automatic Battery Float Trickle Charger. About $10.00 at Harbor Freight
715I4whwf6L._SL1200_.jpg&key=7c2939ef1196f3ea2a40f32afd20567c85d5fa51e6d924994a9bf289fdc34516

I use one as well. I think between the cold and it being 7 years old it was just to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I have been using one of these to keep the four wheeler battery up to snuff.

12 Volt Automatic Battery Float Trickle Charger. About $10.00 at Harbor Freight

715I4whwf6L._SL1200_.jpg

Yep I have 3 , have had them now for about 5 yrs. for as cheap as they are they work well. 

Edited by rob-c

Yep I have 3 , have had them now for about 5 yrs. for as cheap as they are they work well. 

Be careful.....a neighbor had a cheap brand and something malfunctioned in the charger and toasted his entire attached garage....2 polaris sportsman 500's, a Vette, Harley and snowmobile were all destroyed. It was an unreal sight all caused by a cheap charger.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Be careful.....a neighbor had a cheap brand and something malfunctioned in the charger and toasted his entire attached garage....2 polaris sportsman 500's, a Vette, Harley and snowmobile were all destroyed. It was an unreal sight all caused by a cheap charger.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip, but to be fair it could happen with any brand really. I have mine plugged into a surge protector also. 

• Like 1

i recommend the battery tender. it's not a trickle charger so it's safer. I have a big one for the car that sleeps in the winter and 2 juniors for motorcycle/lawnmower

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1548953105&sr=1-4&keywords=battery+tender

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

So I should have my marine and lawn tractor batteries in the basement? Im woefully ignorant about this stuff

If not using a float charger keeping them in say a constant 60 deg basement on a bench, shelf etc.  ( not on a concrete floor ) will help batteries live longer, yes. I have my atv’s in a unheated garage and I will make sure the batteries are fully charged then install the float chargers. Have done this for many winters and atv’s  always start. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

So I should have my marine and lawn tractor batteries in the basement? Im woefully ignorant about this stuff

At the end of the season I remove them all, charge them, and keep them in the basement.

Like rob-c says do not leave them on a concrete floor as this will drain them. I have a plastic tote with a piece of plywood in the bottom I set them in. I check them once or twice through the winter and if they need it I put them on the charger.

Then when I get ready to use them in the summer or spring I charge them again before putting them back in.

Nothing will kill a battery faster than the cold.

But you may want to touch base with The_Field_Ager. I am sure he would probably have a better way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1