How is everyone ? Nobody’s frozen solid I hope

rob-c

I am getting annoyed. Second time this winter my pipe froze. Dryer outlet faces west and last time the cap blew off (so I thought was the issue). I stuffed it back on and jammed a rag into it a few days ago to block the wind. Figured that would do the trick. No such luck. Pipe froze in about 3 hours last night.  Turned the dryer on and 10 minutes later horrible banging and clanging noises. Ice jam making its way through the pipes. I had the faucet open so things did not burst. Dodged another bullet.  Left a faucet dripping last night after the thaw and this morning no problem. Was not happy waiting for a late train with windchill at -17 this morning.

School closed here today, not sure why it was colder yesterday and they went. Silly, its winter in CNY. Its cold and snowy. Lefty snowflakes trying to make everyone pansies.

I did let the location in St.Paul close yesterday though they were looking at -25 real temp and -60 wind chill lol!

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

School closed here today, not sure why it was colder yesterday and they went. Silly, its winter in CNY. Its cold and snowy. Lefty snowflakes trying to make everyone pansies.

I did let the location in St.Paul close yesterday though they were looking at -25 real temp and -60 wind chill lol!

that's what I thought but for some reason it did "feel" colder this am.

4 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

I am getting annoyed. Second time this winter my pipe froze. Dryer outlet faces west and last time the cap blew off (so I thought was the issue). I stuffed it back on and jammed a rag into it a few days ago to block the wind. Figured that would do the trick. No such luck. Pipe froze in about 3 hours last night.  Turned the dryer on and 10 minutes later horrible banging and clanging noises. Ice jam making its way through the pipes. I had the faucet open so things did not burst. Dodged another bullet.  Left a faucet dripping last night after the thaw and this morning no problem. Was not happy waiting for a late train with windchill at -17 this morning.

The pipe my washer drains into froze last week so it backed up and ran down the wall and all over the place. Its in the wall between the laundry room and the garage

Sorry man- that sucks- insulate deal with that too but been lucky so far.
Now that it’s all cleared up you deserve a night out in Peekskill on Saturday with the SE group . Hope to see you there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got stuck (2) of the last (4) times trying to get into my driveway, after driving home from work with my front-wheel drive car.   The snow was really dense and heavy today, stopping me in my tracks with only the nose of the car off the road.   I had phoned my wife, prior to leaving work, to turn on the switch in the house that energizes the block heater on my loader tractor.  At minus 2 F, there was just barely enough cranking power in the battery for a couple of slow turns.   Fortunately, that was enough to start the luke-warm diesel engine.  If it was one degree colder, we would still be digging that car out of the snowbank with a shovel.   

The snow don't bother me too much, but I will be glad to see the end of these extreme cold temperatures.   I would be very happy if the temperature were to remain between 15 and 32 degrees F, from December 1 thru March 31.   If it gets colder, my tractors don't start good, and if it gets warmer, it gets too hot in the house with the woodstove and I have to use the natural-gas furnaces.    I am very appreciative of the town, county, and state highway crews, who have done a spectacular job of keeping the roads clear.      

• Like 2

Wed a couple fisherman had to be rescued off Oneida Lake. One guy went out and then his 4 wheeler wouldn't start. It was a whiteout on the lake that day with 25-35 mph winds and a -25 to -35 wind chill.  

Guess he stayed in an ice tent and he ended up with some frostbite.  Seems crazy,y to be out in that kinda weather for that.  Lake is littered with guys fishing today but I can see that.  

Wed and Thurs seemed like a death wish to be out there.  Hell the legion has the best fish fry around tonite for 10 bucks.  

19 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Wed a couple fisherman had to be rescued off Oneida Lake. One guy went out and then his 4 wheeler wouldn't start. It was a whiteout on the lake that day with 25-35 mph winds and a -25 to -35 wind chill.  

Guess he stayed in an ice tent and he ended up with some frostbite.  Seems crazy,y to be out in that kinda weather for that.  Lake is littered with guys fishing today but I can see that.  

Wed and Thurs seemed like a death wish to be out there.  Hell the legion has the best fish fry around tonite for 10 bucks.  

There is not a fish that swims, that would get me on the ice in -35 degree temps!  But, looking back, I can remember waiting for a deer in wind chill temps nearly that cold. Not sure if you'd could call it dedication or stupidity.

• Like 2

There is not a fish that swims, that would get me on the ice in -35 degree temps!  But, looking back, I can remember waiting for a deer in wind chill temps nearly that cold. Not sure if you'd could call it dedication or stupidity.

Stupidity.

Sorry had to couldn’t resist

Daughter in Buffalo said she worked two hours on digging her car out  and and didn’t finish , it’s like all ice apparently. She worked from home last two days but needs to go in tomorrow,told her Uber .

The snow is honestly stupid heavy and packs really well. It really surprised me.

Daughter in Buffalo said she worked two hours on digging her car out  and and didn’t finish , it’s like all ice apparently. She worked from home last two days but needs to go in tomorrow,told her Uber .
Apparently there is an app called Yeti( it's up an running in Buffalo)...they arrange someone to dig your car out. Heard it usually costs 30-50 bucks....might be worth it.

https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/you-can-now-get-the-snow-off-your-car-without-leaving-the-house

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1