Great news for us leftys

Still a larger range of ammo available for the 308 but that 6.5 is a killer

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

That is seriously the ONLY advantage the 308 has over the 6.5 and now that the 6.5 is gaining popularity that gap will start shrinking as well. Minus mil surplus stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never looked past the 308 . Works for what I want  or need . With its popularity  I doubt 6.5 will go anywhere  for a while. A lot of people got on the short mag Express  a few years ago and they all bitch about  finding ammo and the price. More than a few have dumped the shortmags for 6.5.  I'm a tried and true kind of guy for the most part . That said I am liking the 204  ruger  and 480 ruger . Probably the newest calibers in the safe.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Ballistics are too good on the 6.5 to go away.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Same as .264 mag  great round better ballistics..fad .. like 20ga for turkey,  so many better rounds .280 as well all were balistically better. But $ of new rifle , reloading equipment, lack of factory offerings.. time will tell.. the 30-06 was balistically beaten decades ago yet it still more popular than rounds designed to remove it.

Not trying to start a pissing match but I have noticed a smaller variety of factory offerings in 30/06 at lgs.  It's a great round.  I think there's to many other offerings pushing it aside . The fan base has matured  and I know that I dont  much care for the recoil out of my 760.

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Same as .264 mag  great round better ballistics..fad .. like 20ga for turkey,  so many better rounds .280 as well all were balistically better. But $ of new rifle , reloading equipment, lack of factory offerings.. time will tell.. the 30-06 was balistically beaten decades ago yet it still more popular than rounds designed to remove it.

Your picking long action rounds and trying to compare them to a short action round, not really a fair fight. I love the .308, killed many deer and 3 caribou with mine. Like i said originally, its a toss up between the two for me. The better ballistics at long range and mild recoil are favorable for the 6.5, however being able to load heavy bullets to hunt large game with is a good selling point for the 308. The creedmoor has been around for over 10 years, is loaded by every big ammo manufacturer, all the big gun manufacturers produce various rifles in 6.5. Theres always "better" calibers for any argument u would want to make, but for a short action round the 6.5 is a updated 308.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Your picking long action rounds and trying to compare them to a short action round, not really a fair fight. I love the .308, killed many deer and 3 caribou with mine. Like i said originally, its a toss up between the two for me. The better ballistics at long range and mild recoil are favorable for the 6.5, however being able to load heavy bullets to hunt large game with is a good selling point for the 308. The creedmoor has been around for over 10 years, is loaded by every big ammo manufacturer, all the big gun manufacturers produce various rifles in 6.5. Theres always "better" calibers for any argument u would want to make, but for a short action round the 6.5 is a updated 308.

Yep - a very popular option now and its had been around long enough that its place is cemented.  Lots of options in manufactured ammo.  And for those that like the AR platform, its probably the most popular AR10 sold now.  I pulled the trigger ordering one this week and sold my AR 10 308.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Yep - a very popular option now and its had been around long enough that its place is cemented.  Lots of options in manufactured ammo.  And for those that like the AR platform, its probably the most popular AR10 sold now.  I pulled the trigger ordering one this week and sold my AR 10 308.

Whatcha gettin!?

Glad to hear you pulled the trigger. What did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, G-Man said:

https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/can-264-winchester-magnum-rise-from-dead/  still better balistics and 60 year old round..if you must have a .264 caliber 6.5mm

Like comparing a .308 Winchester to a .300 Win Mag.

Or a 257 Roberts to a 257 Weatherby

Or a 7mm-08 to a 7mm Mag

Blah blah blah

I'll take the sweet easy shooting rounds for any long range shooting I'll ever do in NYS OR out west.  Most guys are real dreamers with their big magnum rounds.......I don't own a 6.5 Creedmoor but do own a 260 Remington and enjoy shooting it.

• Like 2