Getting It Worked Out

DirtTime

So the trip we were trying to plan up in the Indian Lake region for hunting wasn't as easy as we thought. Booking the wrong cabin, then my dog started having major hip issues and had to go on a daily regimen of prescription meds and some chewables to help loosen up the joints. So we had to try and explain to Driftwood about some new issues. They were pretty cool about it, allowed us to switch cabins for the reservation, and didn't charge a 'cancellation' to change cabins.

So, it's now official. Cabins booked for a week of hunting ( vacation for my wife ) in the ADK's for Late October. I can't wait! I need to get a new video camera to make sure I can get footage. I am so stoked about this trip!

• Like 11

Father in law used to hunt there a long time ago. Actually used a boat to get around. Told me of stories of breaking up ice to get the boat through. Best story was when the forest ranger came and gathered up all the hunters to help fight a forest fire. I miss him and his stories! Have a great time! 

Edited by First-light
  • Like 2

While your in Indian lake go to Marty's chili nights in town.  Doesn't look the best form the outside but when u go in you will laugh cause it looks like a little cantina. They have good Mexican food and 100 tequilas.  

Sucks that the grocery store in town closed so bring what u need with you cause otherwise it's only gas stations for a few miles.  

First time I went to Indian lake a 4 and a 6 point were fighting on the sidewalk. Lol.   I hunted there a few times but didn't see much.   Even tried bear hunting. 

I used to have a camp on big Brook Rd.  If you follow that to the end it comes out to kings flow and chimney MTN.  A beautiful spot if you get the time.   

Good luck and have fun. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

While your in Indian lake go to Marty's chili nights in town.  Doesn't look the best form the outside but when u go in you will laugh cause it looks like a little cantina. They have good Mexican food and 100 tequilas.  

Sucks that the grocery store in town closed so bring what u need with you cause otherwise it's only gas stations for a few miles.  

First time I went to Indian lake a 4 and a 6 point were fighting on the sidewalk. Lol.   I hunted there a few times but didn't see much.   Even tried bear hunting. 

I used to have a camp on big Brook Rd.  If you follow that to the end it comes out to kings flow and chimney MTN.  A beautiful spot if you get the time.   

Good luck and have fun. 

What was the name of the grocery store? My father in law always talked about a store in town that you could buy anything. That was then maybe long gone by now. 

Thanks for the input everyone.

We will be taking all our food up with us, just like if we were camping in the Summer, we're also taking the crock-pot with us. Thanks for the heads up Rob about the grocery store, will have to keep that in mind. As for the Mexican...I think making chili while up there will enough punishment for my wife. But, if she wants to try it...I'm OK with it. LOL.

Seeing this is more or less both of our "big vacation" for this year, my plan is to hunt mornings, and then do the sight seeing the wife wanted to do the last time we were up there in the afternoons. 50/50 so to speak. As much as I would love to hunt D2D all week, I can't be that selfish.

Again, I have wanted to do something like this since getting back into hunting. I know the hunting will be tough, I understand that even seeing a decent buck might never happen, and I will be hunting some thick woods! I'm OK with all of that. It's the experience of hunting "big woods" I want, to bring back old memories. Of course I want to kill a nice buck, but if I don't who cares? This will be as much about the new memories as the kill ( if I drop a deer ).

• Like 1