Oneida lake fishing/house rental

mlammerhirt

Looking into renting a house on Oneida this summer(middle of August)

Any tips on the lake for fishing mid August or good places to rent?

Also any must see attractions around the lake? We will have kids ranging from 3-12.

Thanks in advance for all the advice.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Sylvan Beach amusement park is a nostalgic old place and cool for younger ones esp. 

Got to go to "the wild" in chittenango.  A real nice zoo, has all the big cats.  Depending on where your staying it's only 15 min away if that. 

Bass fishing in August is pretty good.  Walleye fishing is tough for me that time of year for sure.  

And if out fishing watch the wind. Lake runs east/west and can get rough in a hurry.

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Everything Rob said. We did a family trip last year and had a good time. Also caught a TON of walleyes.

Theme park was awesome

Zoo was the cleanest I've ever seen and had some awesome critters. The owner was there and mentioned he was heading to hunt elk?stag? I don't remember exactly but was cool that he was so down to earth. This conversation was all done 5' from a giant lion.

We rented a house by Lewis point from an app my wife had, so I'd recommend getting the two popular ones (vrbo & home away) We wanted a beach for the kids and a dock for the boat. Hard to find but we got it. House was nice. We had a blast.

Only bad part was no matter how many #'s of walleyes came over the boat I couldn't convince robhuntandfish to join.....

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TreeGuy said:

Everything Rob said. We did a family trip last year and had a good time. Also caught a TON of walleyes.

Theme park was awesome

Zoo was the cleanest I've ever seen and had some awesome critters. The owner was there and mentioned he was heading to hunt elk?stag? I don't remember exactly but was cool that he was so down to earth. This conversation was all done 5' from a giant lion.

We rented a house by Lewis point from an app my wife had, so I'd recommend getting the two popular ones (vrbo & home away) We wanted a beach for the kids and a dock for the boat. Hard to find but we got it. House was nice. We had a blast.

Only bad part was no matter how many #'s of walleyes came over the boat I couldn't convince robhuntandfish to join.....

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

A little bit of me died for every one you boated buddy.  

Def was blood money at work that week.  

• Like 2

It has been about 30 years since I fished that lake, but we stop a few times a year at Bartel road bait and tackle (just off rt 81 Brewerton exit),  Their prices are good and they have an excellent selection of tackle (way more reasonably priced than the Thousand Island Tackle shop (TITS).   We also stop for gas almost every trip by there at Morabidos, or the newer place (with better food and bathrooms) across the street.  That is almost always the cheapest gas between Pembroke and Alex Bay, not including on the native American reservations.       

Edited by wolc123

Sorry Wolc123, the bait store formerly on Bartel Rd is long gone...probably almost 10 years, at least. There is a good bait store in the plaza on the north side of Bartel just a bit further up though. There is a Gander OUtdoor store just off rt 81 the next exit south though, at Cicero. I think they are going to have live bait too.

Sylvan Beach is popular with the teens, but a very nostalgic, small park. Heading towards Rome, about 15 miles away are Fort Rickey Game farm,  the Old Erie Canal historic park, and in Rome itself Fort Stanwix, national historic spot, with a recreation of the old Revolutionary War fort, which is a very interesting visit, with reenactments.  ABout an hour 1/2 away you could run up to Old forge where there are a couple water parks, and a lot more to do. I would pick up one of the weather proof fishing maps available in the area for a fair guide to the lake....and beware! ONeida is known for its shoals, and being actually quite shallow, stirs up quickly. There are a lot of state boat launches surrounding the lake, so that makes for pretty easy access. 

I agree the animal park in Chittenango is well worth the stop, and a very family friendly day. Drop down to Syracuse, and the Rosamond Gifford Zoo is another real nice stop, about 1/2 hour away. There are a lot of rentals on the lake, those in Sylvan beach tend to be more expensive. A lot of them just go word of mouth, but I am sure you could just google ONeida lake summer rentals and get a quick list of them...but don't wait, this is the time of year folks plan for it.  I wonder if Verona Beach State Park offers cabinis? 

27 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Sorry Wolc123, the bait store formerly on Bartel Rd is long gone...probably almost 10 years, at least. There is a good bait store in the plaza on the north side of Bartel just a bit further up though. There is a Gander OUtdoor store just off rt 81 the next exit south though, at Cicero. I think they are going to have live bait too.

Sylvan Beach is popular with the teens, but a very nostalgic, small park. Heading towards Rome, about 15 miles away are Fort Rickey Game farm,  the Old Erie Canal historic park, and in Rome itself Fort Stanwix, national historic spot, with a recreation of the old Revolutionary War fort, which is a very interesting visit, with reenactments.  ABout an hour 1/2 away you could run up to Old forge where there are a couple water parks, and a lot more to do. I would pick up one of the weather proof fishing maps available in the area for a fair guide to the lake....and beware! ONeida is known for its shoals, and being actually quite shallow, stirs up quickly. There are a lot of state boat launches surrounding the lake, so that makes for pretty easy access. 

I agree the animal park in Chittenango is well worth the stop, and a very family friendly day. Drop down to Syracuse, and the Rosamond Gifford Zoo is another real nice stop, about 1/2 hour away. There are a lot of rentals on the lake, those in Sylvan beach tend to be more expensive. A lot of them just go word of mouth, but I am sure you could just google ONeida lake summer rentals and get a quick list of them...but don't wait, this is the time of year folks plan for it.  I wonder if Verona Beach State Park offers cabinis? 

No cabins at Verona beach.

50 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

https://www.facebook.com/BartelRdBaitTackle

Maybe he means this place?  It is a nice shop, although pretty small. Rob is a good guy and supports the local angling community. 

I do remember Fredons right near that exit too.  That was a cool store.  

58 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

Sorry Wolc123, the bait store formerly on Bartel Rd is long gone...probably almost 10 years, at least. There is a good bait store in the plaza on the north side of Bartel just a bit further up though. There is a Gander OUtdoor store just off rt 81 the next exit south though, at Cicero. I think they are going to have live bait too.ers cabinis

We are talking about the same place - Bartel road Bait and Tackle.  I do remember the old place that was closer to the 81 exit (right across the road from Morabidos.  I think they closed about 15 years ago.   I bought about a case and a half of 16 gauge Remington sluggers for $1.00 a box at their closing sale.   I still have a couple dozen boxes of those.     

You guys are probably right....

The long gone bait/ sports store on Bartell was called Brewerton Sports. Every year for a number of years they had a fall extravaganza, with a lot of reps and great deals. I bought one of the last produced Ithaca shotguns there for a great price. The other store of course is on Bartell also, but has only been around a few years. They do seem to be very customer oriented. 

• Like 1