Owl Picture

Lawdwaz

4 hours ago, G-Man said:

This guy hung out as I walked under himFB_IMG_1549300037784.thumb.jpg.12b5e292c72c0863041fb1efac84bda6.jpg

Now THAT is a barred owl....Final answer... I have had them follow me around in the spring when I walking/ talking trying to raise a gobble... Unlike Great Horned owls, they are not especially  wary or scared of humans....Horned owls are very wary and will flush from a tree at the first sign of a hunter approaching...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Now THAT is a barred owl....Final answer... I have had them follow me around in the spring when I walking/ talking trying to raise a gobble... Unlike Great Horned owls, they are not especially  wary or scared of humans....Horned owls are very wary and will flush from a tree at the first sign of a hunter approaching...

Nope the barred is much larger owl this guy is little , I believe it is a northern saw whet owl . A mostly nocturnal owl could be reason it was so calm in daylight usually fly south but some stick around but only 8-10 in long or so compared to a barred owl 18 in or so. 

9 hours ago, G-Man said:

Nope the barred is much larger owl this guy is little , I believe it is a northern saw whet owl . A mostly nocturnal owl could be reason it was so calm in daylight usually fly south but some stick around but only 8-10 in long or so compared to a barred owl 18 in or so. 

I didn't realize how small he was when I looked at the picture.... Not much there for size comparison.. Yes, barred owls  are fairly large...With those long  fluffy feathers they appear almost as big as a horned owl...Saw whets are cute little guys, smaller than a screech owl...

19 hours ago, Larry said:

short eared owl

Larry pegged it........

It is a short eared owl.  I checked with my friend who owns that land after I posted this, he reminded me that a local birding group likes to drive the roads and glass around the large 100 +/- acre CRP field for the short eared owls that are constantly cruising low over the fields.

I've seen them many times and at first you think they're hawks because they are so active in the daylight.  I'd never seen one sit still, especially on the ground!

Often while sitting hunting in one of the huts in the field the owls really put on a display, dipping and diving.  It's not uncommon to see three or even four at a time, hence the fact the birders come to view.

This is Lima, Livingston County.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...