New Act pushed into committee that bans firearms as prizes in games of chance.

https://www.assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld=%0D%0A&bn=A1413&term=&Summary=Y&Actions=Y&Votes=Y&Memo=Y&Text=Y..

I am sure someone may kick this into the Political section but I wanted everyone to see this. The basis for the act,  "Currently in New York State it is legal to raffle off a firearm in a game of chance. Many times games such as these are open to all individuals regardless of age. Firearms should not be raffled off in this manner." , is a  load of BS. Any raffle I have seen, been a winner in or put on, required the winner to go through the same process that a person would to BUY the firearms. 

They are removing the ability to use firearms as prizes in games of chance. 

Time to reach out to your Reps. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

Both my Senate rep and Assembly rep will vote no guaranteed. Senator Jordan, she's strongly pro 2A and Assemblyman Ashby is a veteran who's very much Pro 2A.

Still go with my other idea though to call those who sponsor it expressing concerns that it's justification is misleading and practically lies in that you still have to go through the background check process and be of legal age. it's written as if the gun is just handed over and it's not.

• Like 1

First I've seen this.  No way am I surprised though.  The writing was on the wall after the last election.  King Cuomo now has a free stamp, for any cockaninny gun law he dreams up at this point.  

Soooo sad. 

We do have Senator Peter Amedore here, who is a great 2A supporter. But in the current Senate, he is out numbered.

Any lawmaker, in support of the 2A in NYS is out numbered in this kingdom now.

I also sent her an email directly asking if she realized that you have to go through a background check to claim your prize in one of those raffles. I also suggested that instead of harassing law abiding gun owners, she should learn to help control state spending so they arent $2 billion short again. Morons.

Heres her email in case any of you want to send suggestions to her

[email protected]

• Like 5

Just forwarded a nastyogram  to my assembly man and senator even though neither one would support it.

If nothing else if gives them some ammunition to argue with their cohorts when and if the time comes.

Thinking I may to move up the ladder and start contacting Gillibrand, Schumer, and maybe the king himself but I really hate wasting my time.

• Like 2

I took the time to contact my assembly person. She admitted voting for the Safe Act without reading it.

I pointed out that gun raffles are used by many nonprofits as fund raisers and that winners under go background checks while picking the firearm from someone with a FFL. Maybe she will actually think about this vote...……...

• Like 1

Ive already sent an email to my reps about it. Bunch of crap really. Its not like you dont have to go through the process to collect your prize. 9 1/2 years to go in NY for me. Screw this state.
What if a republican makes it and then things around. Still gonna leave?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve D said:

Just forwarded a nastyogram  to my assembly man and senator even though neither one would support it.

If nothing else if gives them some ammunition to argue with their cohorts when and if the time comes.

Thinking I may to move up the ladder and start contacting Gillibrand, Schumer, and maybe the king himself but I really hate wasting my time.

Gillibrand will lie, Schumer will twist it to something not even related like how he strongly supports the right to hunt and won't take away your hunting firearms, and cuomo you won't get anything. if you did it'd be something along the lines of "i don't care. blah blah." i've emailed them before.

• Like 1

AGAIN the Democrats in Albany under the leadership of Governer Cuomo are NOT working on the real problems in New York State.

Maybe the politicians  are trying to forget that $3 billion hole in the New York State budget with more nonsense since they are unwilling or unable to fix the real problems in New York State.

I think the Lefties are slowly realizing banning or trying to take our guns won't be as easy or work out well in the end for anyone. Not to say they won't keep trying!

Seems like they have changed tactics and are now focusing on trying to stop the sale of firearms. First the 'Other Bill' with the new up-to-30 day rule, now this. It's completely mind numbing and infuriating at the same time.

None of the gun laws passed in a while made much sense, and certainly did not and WILL NOT stop gun violence by criminals.

I posted on FB the link to the Last Bill, and posted what I thought, I wasn't nice and used some very colorful words and descriptions. Most people agreed with me, but there is always one! My wife's cousin. My wife and I gave him a one two team punch that shut his lefty ass right up!

• Like 1

Sure there's a "work-around" for these non-profit raffles. Don't know the specific logistics of the donated or purchased at wholesale price for the non-profit raffled long guns, but wouldn't an applicable gift card be feasible? Definitely does NOT address the root problem...!!

Problem I see with contacting any upstate legislators, is that the greater NYC area legislators still hold the majority of votes. Regardless, I'm still airing my displeasure to my legislator.

Still trying to wrap my head around the reasoning behind this legislation. :scratchhead:Are they saying someone attending a non-profit event, whether for the NWTF, Whitetails Unlimited, Duck hunter's Assoc, QDMA, etc, might use the long gun that they paid for a raffle ticket to support an organization and won it could commit a crime???? Bewildering...Defies common sense!!!

I have heard from some that this wont pass as only one lawmaker is attached to it.  But like nyslowhand said - could still use a gun shop gift card to get around this ridiculousness.   

I am more concerned with them passing a required insurance to own a gun.   SInce NRA insurance is no longer avail here in NY and spending $3-400 for insurance every year would suck.   

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I have heard from some that this wont pass as only one lawmaker is attached to it.  But like nyslowhand said - could still use a gun shop gift card to get around this ridiculousness.   

I am more concerned with them passing a required insurance to own a gun.   SInce NRA insurance is no longer avail here in NY and spending $3-400 for insurance every year would suck.   

I was very surprised the insurance crap was not put into effect first thing. Now that the the state is hurting even more for money, the gun insurance will be passed for revenue for us to pay for illegals college.  

I was very surprised the insurance crap was not put into effect first thing. Now that the the state is hurting even more for money, the gun insurance will be passed for revenue for us to pay for illegals college.  
Probably because they know it's unconstitutional and would be overturned instantly. It's clearly biased against the poor who arguably need firearms the most to defend themselves against scumbags trying to rob them

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

What if a republican makes it and then things around. Still gonna leave?

Yep. Its too far gone as far as I see it. It will take a decade or more to straighten any of it out. Its not just the gun laws, its the taxes and the nanny welfare state that I cant stand. Im heading for freedom. Plus 5 months of winter sucks.

• Like 1