Live From The Water 2019 Edition

WNYBuckHunter

I only saltwater fish, so apologies for a stupid question. How do you tell a trout is stocked versus wild? Just based on the location where you fish that you know it wasn't stocked or are there morphological differences between wild and stocked?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

A stocker usually has banged up fins from living in the raceway and hitting the walls. Wild fish will a bit longer head and pristine fins

26 minutes ago, tarheel95 said:

I only saltwater fish, so apologies for a stupid question. How do you tell a trout is stocked versus wild? Just based on the location where you fish that you know it wasn't stocked or are there morphological differences between wild and stocked?

It's listed as a wild trout stream by the DEC and it's not stocked. This area is blessed with some high quality trout streams with water quality and temps that allow the trout to reproduce and flourish so no stocking is needed. 

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Those downstate guys like to live dangerously on the edge!

Risk is the spice of life lol

8 minutes ago, crappyice said:

We draw a very hard line at gas station sushi though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But we don't live THAT dangerously! 

A stocker usually has banged up fins from living in the raceway and hitting the walls. Wild fish will a bit longer head and pristine fins
It's listed as a wild trout stream by the DEC and it's not stocked. This area is blessed with some high quality trout streams with water quality and temps that allow the trout to reproduce and flourish so no stocking is needed. 
Thanks for the info. Learn something new each day.

• Like 1

In the local reservoirs, the stocked trout have a clipped fin. They clip a different fin each so when you catch one you can look up what year it was stocked

For 20 years a bunch of us use to meet for a week of fly fishing in Roscoe.  Didn't get down last year . We had as many as 50 guys . Last time I went there was 3 of us left.  Great bunch of guys and gals . Most have moved on or passed  on . I learned alot  in a short time from them guys . I was new at fly fishing and tying back then . I was privileged to sit and learn from Paul Jorgensen  how to tie an extended  body green drake . First morning there I had breakfast with a school janitor,  a rocket scientist from NASA, a chemist for Dupont. Made some fast friends.

• Like 5

In the local reservoirs, the stocked trout have a clipped fin. They clip a different fin each so when you catch one you can look up what year it was stocked

Interesting. Another fact learned today. Thanks.

• Like 1

Interesting. Another fact learned today. Thanks.

Westchester Fishing Forum has some great guys giving insight to reservoirs, streams, Hudson River, etc. you should check it out. I used to be a member but don’t fish enough anymore. I still lurk time to time. Looks like guys are getting stripers out of Hudson already

It lives !

For years we had a Pike derby, entry fees , cash prizes. Went to a gun club after for food and drink, 50/50, raffles , Hooter girls ..... I’ve seen snowball fights between boats, fireworks wars, and one guy shot in the chest with a flare gun .

Then the attorney for the FF running it heard of it and asked how much liability insurance he had for it, that ended it, it then became a few boats just fishing each year.

Now  its back !

You’ve been warned.

DBC8D069-D444-42E8-849E-DEE78E9F96F7.png

• Like 1

Westchester Fishing Forum has some great guys giving insight to reservoirs, streams, Hudson River, etc. you should check it out. I used to be a member but don’t fish enough anymore. I still lurk time to time. Looks like guys are getting stripers out of Hudson already

Thanks for the tip. If I ever pickup freshwater fishing I will give it a look. I have the license, but never interested me much. I'll wait for the stripers to clear the GW and make their way out east his summer. Salt only for me so far. Thanks again for the info.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dom said:

That's some good eating size.

Sure is.there was a few fatties we got.bite was hot lastnight.lost count on how many we caught and ones that shook off.simple setup with a 1/0 octopus circle hook around 8" above a round casting sinker,tipped with a nightcrawler.

• Like 1