Live From The Water 2019 Edition

WNYBuckHunter

Should be a good day for the streams!  I have a meeting in cortland tomorrow and was thinking about fishing my way back.  Torn on that or get home and get some chores done before turks and eyes seasons open up.  Gonna be hard to drive by some of those streams and not drop a line.  

Good luck guys , def ought to be a hatch today.  

• Like 1

I just checked the USGS flow data for the Cohocton at Avoca..The river is still higher than average, but it is the lowest it has been this month and dropping fast....Change of plans, Tacks..We fish the river...<<GRIN>>….At least I'll have a little room to cast..On the tribs my fly spends as much time in the trees and bushes as it does in the water....

23 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I just checked the USGS flow data for the Cohocton at Avoca..The river is still higher than average, but it is the lowest it has been this month and dropping fast....Change of plans, Tacks..We fish the river...<<GRIN>>….At least I'll have a little room to cast..On the tribs my fly spends as much time in the trees and bushes as it does in the water....

Yeah i was thinking that myself - i fly fish on occasion but usually spin for trout cause of that reason.  I find there are more flies in the trees than the water!  esp on those little streams. Although my roll cast is better than my back cast I still live in the bushes.    This is about all i use now on the small streams these days image.jpeg.c79382bb6e94465853a9557ece12d3de.jpeg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yeah i was thinking that myself - i fly fish on occasion but usually spin for trout cause of that reason.  I find there are more flies in the trees than the water!  esp on those little streams. Although my roll cast is better than my back cast I still live in the bushes.    This is about all i use now on the small streams these days image.jpeg.c79382bb6e94465853a9557ece12d3de.jpeg

Never heard of, or used the 'trout magnet' so I googled it!  Looks like I may have to pick some up! Thanks Rob! Just something new to try, after I run out of tippets that the trees and bushes ate..........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grampy said:

Never heard of, or used the 'trout magnet' so I googled it!  Looks like I may have to pick some up! Thanks Rob! Just something new to try, after I run out of tippets that the trees and bushes ate..........

try them out!  My nephew got me hooked on them.   I run them on a 7ft light action with 4lb test.   Real small but have caught 20" trout on them!    And you dont cry if you loose one cause they arent $5 a shot.  They come in lots of colors - I prefer the gold, but grasshopper is also good.   

• Thanks 1

Took today off from work for a home inspection and there was no qay i wasnt hitting up the creek in this weather...Another day at the oatka.higher and muddy but still fishable.the sun feels amazing!one fish surfaced so far and just saw a dec tank truck heading up the road.couldnt tell if it was full or not

20190423_140108.jpg

• Like 2

I just checked the USGS flow data for the Cohocton at Avoca..The river is still higher than average, but it is the lowest it has been this month and dropping fast....Change of plans, Tacks..We fish the river...>….At least I'll have a little room to cast..On the tribs my fly spends as much time in the trees and bushes as it does in the water....

Pretty stretch of the Cohocton! Lots of Hendricksons coming off but we only saw a handful of fish rising. I hope Pygmy got into them after I left. I managed just this one nice brown on a nymph e2574657a7dace5a0846cce7f81d9bd5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 13

Tacks wasn't back to his truck yet and I got a brown on a dry....My first one in quite a while on a dry fly.....Hooked and lost two  others within the next few minutes...Then they quit rising...So I  down to the Legion for  a snort....<<grin>>…  Fishing will be a lot better  if we don't get a whole lot more water....  Hendricksons are hatching...One landed on my fly vest...Fly fishing should be  good for awhile , depending on water conditions..

• Like 7

Tacks wasn't back to his truck yet and I got a brown on a dry....My first one in quite a while on a dry fly.....Hooked and lost two  others within the next few minutes...Then they quit rising...So I  down to the Legion for  a snort....>…  Fishing will be a lot better  if we don't get a whole lot more water....  Hendricksons are hatching...One landed on my fly vest...Fly fishing should be  good for awhile , depending on water conditions..

That’s awesome! Side note: did you see the blonde sprint across the field to photograph the oncoming train?

Way to go guys. I fish red quill for hendrickson males  and  light hendrickson  for females. Hendricksons are one of a few mayfly that are different color by sex. I recall reading that some say male hendrickson hatch on fast water and females hatch on slow . Not sure that I have observed that myself. Pheasant tails match most of the early mayfly nymphs. .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

That’s awesome! Side note: did you see the blonde sprint across the field to photograph the oncoming train?

Didn't see the blonde....Concentrating on my fishing...I suppose she was NAKED, too....<< SIGH>>….I always miss the GOOD stuff...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Nytracker said:

Way to go guys. I fish red quill for hendrickson males  and  light hendrickson  for females. Hendricksons are one of a few mayfly that are different color by sex. I recall reading that some say male hendrickson hatch on fast water and females hatch on slow . Not sure that I have observed that myself. Pheasant tails match most of the early mayfly nymphs. .

We were fishing fast water and the hendricksons were red......

That’s interesting. I’ve found most of the Hendrickson hatches I see are
Ignored by the hatchery fish because they’re new to the neighborhood lol

It usually works that way. It takes the first major hatch which is the hendrickson  before they learn to look up . After a few days the water will seem to boil.  Hatchery trucks were out last week for the second time . 2 weeks ago I managed a few fish on the dry casting a dry black stonefly and a small tan caddis. I was  however fishing a section that is known for natural reproduction. The fish I did catch were small but in perfect condition and color.

• Like 2

Got out today for a couple hours before going to train, but couldnt get a bite. The two other fisherman there also didnt get anything, but we were all throwing lures. Havent seen any of the regulars there, so im thinking it hasnt really been too good yet. Hopeing that'll change soon, because I did see some minnows around. No bunker seen by me yet though. 

Got out today for a couple hours before going to train, but couldnt get a bite. The two other fisherman there also didnt get anything, but we were all throwing lures. Havent seen any of the regulars there, so im thinking it hasnt really been too good yet. Hopeing that'll change soon, because I did see some minnows around. No bunker seen by me yet though. 

What were you fishing for?

1 minute ago, chefhunter86 said:

Squid is a good bet for bait this time of
Year btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt want to get bait becuase I knew I was going to the gym after so I didnt want to stink like fish unless I actually caught something. Im going to wait a week or two and break out the bunker. Always have good luck with bunker in that spot