Live From The Water 2019 Edition

WNYBuckHunter

12 hours ago, rachunter said:

Those are giant sunny's i'm going to try one this year.I love catching them but never eat one before.Also do you guys eat pickerel and pike?

I like to eat pike from through the ice, never cleaned a pickerel before those slime darts dont come in the boat

• Like 1

I like to eat pike from through the ice, never cleaned a pickerel before those slime darts dont come in the boat

I was talking to a lake steward last year she said to grind the pickerel up and make fish cakes. Sounded good. There tons of them in the smaller lakes by me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rachunter said:

I was talking to a lake steward last year she said to grind the pickerel up and make fish cakes. Sounded good. There tons of them in the smaller lakes by me.

Pike and pickerel are both delicious....Pickerel and small pike are problematic due to the  HUNDREDS of Y bones....

Bigger pike ( say 5 lb and over )   can be filleted and then you can cut out the strip of Y bones ….There is lots of info on google and youtube to show you how to do this, and it is well worth the effort....

Grinding and making fish patties is another option...You can also pressure can them in  pint or quart jars and use the meat for patties or chowder..The canning process dissolves the bones, so you get the calcium, but never know the bones are there, similar to canned salmon..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about for a guy who is relatively inexpereinced in fly fishing? Any advice is welcome lol

Lol I’d say the west branch bigger water just cast above rising fish and keep drag off your line... another great beginner spot is junction pool on the Bk

• Like 1

Just now, chefhunter86 said:

Lol I’d say the west branch bigger water just cast above rising fish and keep drag off your line... another great beginner spot is junction pool on the Bk

Ive fished the Junction pool, and I didnt like it much. Whats the major hatches now?

Just now, chefhunter86 said:

Sulphers caddis and there were a few coffin flies but no drakes

Thursday is probably going to be a shit show of me not getting a single trout, but im loking forward to trying. Ill try the west branch in the morning and if it doesnt go well, ill try the bk in the afternoon...or maybe the reverse. 

Thursday is probably going to be a shit show of me not getting a single trout, but im loking forward to trying. Ill try the west branch in the morning and if it doesnt go well, ill try the bk in the afternoon...or maybe the reverse. 

Nymph under the 191 bridge

• Like 1

A few pics from my phone over the weekend.........

Pygmy's turkey season; Canada & NYS shown on the picnic table, 4 adult gobblers!

lvnrSMz.jpg

"Live Well" picture. Not sure why they call it that when they're all belly up?

ahQzjKm.jpg

And Pygmy with a warm hug for the trip planner, Tacks.

NJ407gz.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 11

How about for a guy who is relatively inexpereinced in fly fishing? Any advice is welcome lol

Good luck-I hope the rain don’t wash you out Thursday.
I really only fished the BK and the Willow and really like them- I also stop at the Baxter House fly shop right outside of town - Ken (owner and guide) is a good guy. After that I make a left toward junction pool(yucky!) and keep following the river. I’ve never been good at remembering names (too many football concussions) so I can’t tell you exactly which pools to hit. But I have stopped at many of them over the years usually when no one else is there. (Me no likey people except the guys from WNY who aren’t really people!). Painters pool rings a bell and then there was one pool beyond an old broken down motel (Red rose I think) that I really like. Large parking lot...walk up stream a good way through nondescript water until it gets good!!! A lot of houses along the bank so access in a pain but that’s why I like it(back to the no likey of people thing).
Wish I was going tomorrow...gonna be PERFECT!
Big fan of the cinnamon caddis or ausable wulf in some of the faster pocket waters-love those strikes right in front of or behind large boulders. Tough to stay drag free but when you do you are often rewarded.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Good luck-I hope the rain don’t wash you out Thursday.
I really only fished the BK and the Willow and really like them- I also stop at the Baxter House fly shop right outside of town - Ken (owner and guide) is a good guy. After that I make a left toward junction pool(yucky!) and keep following the river. I’ve never been good at remembering names (too many football concussions) so I can’t tell you exactly which pools to hit. But I have stopped at many of them over the years usually when no one else is there. (Me no likey people except the guys from WNY who aren’t really people!). Painters pool rings a bell and then there was one pool beyond an old broken down motel (Red rose I think) that I really like. Large parking lot...walk up stream a good way through nondescript water until it gets good!!! A lot of houses along the bank so access in a pain but that’s why I like it(back to the no likey of people thing).
Wish I was going tomorrow...gonna be PERFECT!
Big fan of the cinnamon caddis or ausable wulf in some of the faster pocket waters-love those strikes right in front of or behind large boulders. Tough to stay drag free but when you do you are often rewarded.

I didnt even see it was going to rain. Did it say if it was going to be a heavy rain or a light rain?