Live From The Water 2019 Edition

WNYBuckHunter

What a great day yesterday. Finally started getting nymphing down with the help of chef. I think i got one hit, but when i went to set the hook, my tipped broke so who knows. We moved a little further upsstream and waited hours for fish to start rising consitently, but I couldnt get anything to take my dry. I tried sulphurs and elk hair caddis, but nothing worked. I definitely will be hitting the delaware from now on and need to get more flies. 

• Like 7

Just couldn't get into the walleye today. Fished the lake early and got blown off early.  But fished 16-38 ft and not a one but a few perch. Hit the canal and got a few smallies and pickerel.  Still fishing but it was a tough day. Lake is a mess now, whitecaps in the canal is never a good sign.. hoping it doesn't rain in the morn and can get out for a bit. Forecast doesn't look good though. 

I made my  nephew  a true trout bum. Started him tying  at 12. Seems it helped his ADD/OCD.  Got him fly fishing at 14.  When he was 16  and driving he was caught cutting school to go fly fishing. He graduated  associate  degree this year .and has been fishing every chance he can get. His mom just stopped and asked if I had seen or  heard from this morning . I was on the back porch   sipping coffee  at 5:30 am when he drove by with his fishing buddy this morning . They were headed in the direction of our home trout stream.

Apparently the was suppose to help load hay in the barn :rofl: . I was informed this was my fault  . I have created a monster . I'm ok with it ... I will take the blame .

Kid has to get as much time on the stream now as he is moving on to a 4 year school this fall and wont  have time to fish much.

Probably  a good thing I haven't gotten  him on the great lakes tribs for browns and steelhead yet . He wouldn't  go back to school.

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 8

Well me and the boy got the lawn work done.(his helping at 2 is sitting on the my lap when i mow.) Teaching him young have to work before play.  Hes off for his nap do i can get my other stuff done. Then one of my good friends is coming down and we are going to try to get little man on a fish.  Ill post up some pics later of the adventure.

• Like 5

Well we caught some.  I hooked them he reeled and was he was  really confused why we put them back but not the minnows in the bucket.  Anyways he was really excited and actually touched them.  Hes got alot of energy so not close up photos but 1.  Hed run back screaming no before i tossed them back.  But we also tryed to see how he was on kayak and did very well.   First one is him trying to figure out where the first fish went.

20190615_145419.jpg

20190615_151800.jpg

20190615_150014.jpg

20190615_145311.jpg

20190615_143656.jpg

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 15

41 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Well we caught some.  I hooked them he reeled and was he was  really confused why we put them back but not the minnows in the bucket.  Anyways he was really excited and actually touched them.  Hes got alot of energy so not close up photos but 1.  Hed run back screaming no before i tossed them back.  But we also tryed to see how he was on kayak and did very well.   First one is him trying to figure out where the first fish went.

20190615_145419.jpg

20190615_151800.jpg

20190615_150014.jpg

20190615_145311.jpg

20190615_143656.jpg

That is just so awesome on so many levels. Thanks for sharing with us.

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Been raining here for 12 hours......Batten down the hatches!!

Where are you?

What watercraft are you on/in?

Target species?

Is Bizzy rowing for you?

Hudson River, thats the Catskills peeking through the clouds.

Chunk bait fishing for catfish from shore; caught 3 small ones early and a bass when reeling in to freshen bait. Had one good hit but lost that one. All in all a nice morning.

Biz fishes the DEP reservoirs about an hour and change south of me, don't get down that way much.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Here are the two fish chef caught. The little guy was 12 inches and the big guy was 18 inches. Can’t wait to head back to the Delaware. Idk if I’ll be able to fish the bk much after seeing the quality they have on the DE
IMG_9581.jpg
IMG_9580.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cooking them whole?

I always cook trout whole, do people fillet them? Once you fork the meat off the one side the skeleton pulls right out like a tom and jerry cartoon. I have deboned them before thats pretty cool but time consuming

I just cooked the smaller trout and it was the best trout I’ve ever eaten. It’s now ruined stocked trout for me lol. I’m considering going up in the rain this week just cause it’s so good

• Like 1

Rub that big trout with olive oil....Put half a dozen garlic cloves in the body cavity...Wrap it securely with heavy duty aluminum foil, so no steam escapes...Do it directly on the grill at medium to medium high heat....Turn it over every two minutes for  15-20 minutes...

Open the foil and the skeleton and bones should pick right away from the meat...Season to taste...I like a little salt & pepper, but some folks like lemon or other seasonings...

I have done the same thing directly on the coals of a wood fire in Alaska and other remote places, but if you put it right on the coals you need to turn it more often and  cook for a shorter time....Wild leaopard rainbows, dolly vardens and grayling  never tasted so good as cooked that way...   

Don't forget the cheeks...On a big trout like that there a good sized sweet nugget of meat on each cheeks...

Bon apetit'......SMILE.....

• Like 2

i also always cook the trout whole and just like TC said the bones just lift right off.  Run a knife down the back after cooking and the meat just peels off then just pull the skeleton off the other side.  I do cut the heads off cause i dont like being stared at while i am eating.  lol 

If its a big trout out of Ontario or something then i would fillet it. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Don't forget the cheeks...On a big trout like that there a good sized sweet nugget of meat on each cheeks...

Bon apetit'......SMILE.....

freshwater scallops!

By the way, why didnt you and @Robhuntandfish harvest those from our panfish??

Edited by The_Real_TCIII
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I just cooked the smaller trout and it was the best trout I’ve ever eaten. It’s now ruined stocked trout for me lol. I’m considering going up in the rain this week just cause it’s so good

I like to fish for wild trout on some of our local , unstocked tributaries....

They are beautiful fish and I hate to kill them, but they taste so good that I  always  keep a few to eat each season...Since I catch  most of them on worms, a few get hooked deep, and would not survive anyway..I generally release the light hooked ones and keep the deeper hooked fish to eat... They do taste so much better than the stockies...

• Like 1