Live From The Water 2019 Edition

WNYBuckHunter

16 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Was gonna fish this Eve but annoyed at the launch so I left. Pull up and a guy is standing in his boat in the launch having a drink. I sit there and he does nothing. So I ask him " are you going out or in?" He says "going out, there is another launch up the road too" ......ok ahole.... So two other boats have pulled up behind me one is so big he has a wide load sign on it. So I say " well I am gonna launch here, I will pull up so you can get yours out.". He tells me it's gonna take 10 minutes......so now I'm getting a little warm and " well if you get moving then the rest of us can get out on the lake Tonite " 

So he gets his trailer for his cigar boat and is working bon loading . Meanwhile the wide load boat guy is also getting annoyed.  So he pulls out and a guy with another little race boat goes between us to the launch. Now the guy with the wide load boat is yelling at him telling him there is two ahead of him......yup I'm gone.   Back in the day I prob would've cleared the launch . Lol.  Now I'm just an old guy and get off my lawn!  I should know better....general rule for me and my fishing buddies... Fisherman off the lake by 10:30 am before the idiots come out. Lol

So took the dog swimming for the first time this year.  That was nice. 

IMG_20190618_182158174.jpg

I have seen this type of idiocy so many times at the state run boat launches. I will only use state launches if I absolutely have to. Or like you said, go early in the morning and come out before some of the idiots show up. The majority of boat owners are competent, and get in and out in a orderly fashion. But all it takes is one idiot to ruin it for everyone else waiting to get in. Most launches have a sign that says 'do all preparations on your boat prior to launching'. But apparently some people selfishly disregard this and block the launch arranging PFD's, drinks, or a wide range of things, that could have, and should have been done prior to putting the boat in the water and blocking the ramp!!

No others are more proficient at the boat launch than fisherman. Perhaps because they have so much more experience than most boaters getting in and out.

I will pay a few dollars more to use a private launch whenever possible. The extra money paid, seems to cut down on the number of morons at the launch.

Probably should start a new thread with "dumbest things you've seen at a boat launch".  No doubt there would be some good stories shared! Some of the dumbest things I've seen people do over the years, have been at a boat launch.

• Like 4

I have seen this type of idiocy so many times at the state run boat launches. I will only use state launches if I absolutely have to. Or like you said, go early in the morning and come out before some of the idiots show up. The majority of boat owners are competent, and get in and out in a orderly fashion. But all it takes is one idiot to ruin it for everyone else waiting to get in. Most launches have a sign that says 'do all preparations on your boat prior to launching'. But apparently some people selfishly disregard this and block the launch arranging PFD's, drinks, or a wide range of things, that could have, and should have been done prior to putting the boat in the water and blocking the ramp!!
No others are more proficient at the boat launch than fisherman. Perhaps because they have so much more experience than most boaters getting in and out.
I will pay a few dollars more to use a private launch whenever possible. The extra money paid, seems to cut down on the number of morons at the launch.
Probably should start a new thread with "dumbest things you've seen at a boat launch".  No doubt there would be some good stories shared! Some of the dumbest things I've seen people do over the years, have been at a boat launch.
Start the thread grampy.....my wife and I loved parking the car when the boys were younger and napping.... just to watch "boat launch insanity"!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, grampy said:

sad part is - this is a private boat launch!  lol.  I pay a year round fee that is good for two different launches.  But it happens everywhere.  This guy was a winner..... just sat on his boat having a drink while we all lined up. Not a clue.  

• Sad 1

sad part is - this is a private boat launch!  lol.  I pay a year round fee that is good for two different launches.  But it happens everywhere.  This guy was a winner..... just sat on his boat having a drink while we all lined up. Not a clue.  
Wasn't there a dock attendant?

2 hours ago, grampy said:

And we will post some pics when we can snap a couple lol boat ramps are some awesome entertainment when your not in a rush also.

53 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Wasn't there a dock attendant?

no attendant .  Sometimes one on the weekends when its really busy.  Gonna scout out the other launch .  This one is a par 4 from my house so i usually go there.  Other one is 2 miles but prob a lot more fisherman than pleasure boaters cause its pretty shallow and weedy.  

at black lake one time i saw two guys fist fighting at the launch cause of someone cutting ahead of them.  While they were working that out we launched !  lol 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Is anyone familiar with the south end of Chautauqua? I'm heading there today having never fished it

Dragging the boat down I assume?

Should be a nice day for fishing....now that the shed is done, I hope. 

• Like 1

Launched the boat went out to lake, turned boat around and back on trailer.  White caps in the canal before we even got to lake and my backup of fishing the canal when it's windy is not an option.. Canal is brown and water into trees it's so high. Maybe tomorrow. Been a lot of days this year that I haven't fished because of weather ...

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Sad 3

I put re-spooled a reel last night and just might make some casts in a farm pond later for R&D....

Have to clean some leaves from a ditch and pine needles from some gutters at a friends camp.  

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 4

Has anyone fished the west branch of the Au Sable? I am going up today and am itching to get my fly line wet. It will be high i guess,but fishing high water is better than not fishing.

15 years ago I was up on the ausable and enjoyed the trip. It was very different than fishing some of the stretches on the beaverkill that I am more accustomed to(riffles to long pools vs. pockets of water behind large rocks). Hitting pocket water and getting big wulfs to jump around in front and begin boulders took some getting used to but when those fish hit they hit hard! Fished with a guide from Fran Betters shop so we were able to visit with him a few times and watch him artist-fully ties his ausable wulfs. Tough wading but good trip. Sorry I’m not a help for your trip but I appreciated the walk down memory lane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Has anyone fished the west branch of the Au Sable? I am going up today and am itching to get my fly line wet. It will be high i guess,but fishing high water is better than not fishing.

Fish around the Whiteface parking lot you will find fish. Go to the for right corner of their lot and there’s a path that goes down to the river. Fish it upstream to the bridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro