Live From The Water 2019 Edition

WNYBuckHunter

Got the OK from the doc, so I'll finally be "live from the water" on Thursday morning!!!  Going up to Saratoga Lake, with my old lake property neighbor, who let's me hunt his 75 acres in exchange for a fishing trip. We always have a lot of laughs. 

Going after some of those Toga LM!!!

• Like 11

14 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I bring a ski pole as a wading staff, I wish I had thought to tell you that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey tacks,i went to the spot you suggested today. Beautiful. I tied a double nymph rig on and added some strike putty and weight and got that tangled right away. First caught it on a rock,then when it pulled loose in a tree branch. But i was not getting discouraged. Two guys fished above me,but they were the impatient type. I got brave and waded close to a slow slot that had to have fish in it,and i was right. Caught a 11 " brown,and then a little later his bigger brother out of the same slot,a 15" one. They fight good in the current. Then i went downstream hitting some more plunge pools. Caught and lost a few more. Great day on the water,thanks for the tip! This forum is great!

Edited by BowmanMike
  • Like 7

Hey tacks,i went to the spot you suggested today. Beautiful. I tied a double nymph rig on and added some strike putty and weight and got that tangled right away. First caught it on a rock,then when it pulled loose in a tree branch. But i was not getting discouraged. Two guys fished above me,but they were the impatient type. I got brave and waded close to a slow slot that had to have fish in it,and i was right. Caught a 11 " brown,and then a little later his bigger brother out of the same slot,a 15" one. They fight good in the current. Then i went downstream hitting some more plunge pools. Caught and lost a few more. Great day on the water,thanks for the tip! This forum is great!

Awesome! You get down in there and it feels remote doesn't it? Last time there was a family of baby mergansers cruising around

Got the OK from the doc, so I'll finally be "live from the water" on Thursday morning!!!  Going up to Saratoga Lake, with my old lake property neighbor, who let's me hunt his 75 acres in exchange for a fishing trip. We always have a lot of laughs. 
Going after some of those Toga LM!!!

Good to hear! I anchored on the north side of snake hill last Sunday with my girl friend and another couple for a relaxing afternoon. I through out 2 rods with nite crawlers on bottom straight down in 20fow and caught 14 large mouth and 3 small mouths in a few hours. Was very surprised the LM’s were that deep.

Good luck hope you hammer them!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Pygmy said:

What color jigs are you using, Wolc ??

I was using natural (I never use dyed) light brown on Sunday.   Most of the deer around my place (on the NW corner of WMU 9F) have real dark brown, almost black tails.  Both of my deer last year were from my folks place (on the SW corner of WMU 9F) where their tails tend to be a lot lighter shade of brown.  The two deer that my buddy gave me, from the town of Centerville, had medium-brown tails.  It seems that a light to medium shade of brown usually works best for me on smallmouth bass.   I suppose that probably looks the most like a real crayfish.   

I use a 1/4 oz medium-brown, powder-coated round jig-head about 90 % of the time on Lake Erie, the Upper Niagara, and the St Lawrence River.   If it gets tough to hold on the bottom in deeper water or windier conditions, I sometimes go up to a 5/16 oz head, but lighter is always better for getting good hook-sets, and keeping the fish on the line.  At my in-laws place, up on a small Adirondack lake, I usually go with a 1/8 oz jig-head.   The clearer the water, the better those bucktail jigs work, especially if they are on flourocarbon, 8-pound test line. I was surprised how clear the water was on Sunday, considering all the rain we have had this year.          

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Awesome! You get down in there and it feels remote doesn't it? Last time there was a family of baby mergansers cruising around

Yes,i was amazed how remote it felt. It is really pretty down there,and the fish like it too. We are going for a 5hr hike today,but i hope to get back on the river after that.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Good to hear! I anchored on the north side of snake hill last Sunday with my girl friend and another couple for a relaxing afternoon. I through out 2 rods with nite crawlers on bottom straight down in 20fow and caught 14 large mouth and 3 small mouths in a few hours. Was very surprised the LM’s were that deep.

Good luck hope you hammer them!!!

I know that spot!!  My BIL and I were in a tourney years ago, and he got a 6lb+ LM from there in 20+ ft of water!! When the boat traffic picks up on that lake, the bigger fish go deep.

51 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

3a1c2a6b903394899fce1998827c476f.jpglake O with my girlfriend.

Great picture!!!   Nice king!!!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Belo said:

can a mod put this in wolc's sig and lock it? :drinks:

just playin man. love it though!

I am still waiting for TF to get back to me with the lengths of the ones he weighed so I can be a little bit more accurate with my weight estimates.  So far, he is not cooperating.  Eventually someone will, just like Stueben Jerry and Buckmaster did with the whitetail/PA chest-girth, field-dressed weight chart.   Until then it is just pure WAG when it comes to estimating the smallmouth bass weights.    

15 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I am still waiting for TF to get back to me with the lengths of the ones he weighed so I can be a little bit more accurate with my weight estimates.  So far, he is not cooperating.  Eventually someone will, just like Stueben Jerry and Buckmaster did with the whitetail/PA chest-girth, field-dressed weight chart.   Until then it is just pure WAG when it comes to estimating the smallmouth bass weights.    

We never measured a single fishes length   We quick weigh the bigger ones and quick release not to stress them.  Don't need  lengths when great digital scale weighs to tenth of an ounce   But to appease you I'll measure some next time out  

1/4 ounce jig heads and you're going to hang up on the bottom all day long/ break off/retye and be out of the game while doing it. 1/8 gets you on the bottom on windier days and if it's too windy for 1/8 we shouldn't be out there on a bass boat

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

We never measured a single fishes length   We quick weigh the bigger ones and quick release not to stress them.  Don't need  lengths when great digital scale weighs to tenth of an ounce   But to appease you I'll measure some next time out  

1/4 ounce jig heads and you're going to hang up on the bottom all day long/ break off/retye and be out of the game while doing it. 1/8 gets you on the bottom on windier days and if it's too windy for 1/8 we shouldn't be out there on a bass boat

I agree for casting the shallows around the walls, as you and your pal have been doing, but 1/8 is too light to get you to the bottom in 20-25 ft,  in a good current (like always exists in the area around the round-house).  The only 1/4 oz jig that we lost out there on Sunday, was on a cast that got away from my buddy and snagged up high on a wall (while we were trying shallow earlier in the day).  We did not suffer a single bottom snag in 6 hours drifting out in 20-25 ft depths. 

I do make and use almost as many 1/8 oz jigs as I do 1/4 oz, and I have experienced a lot less snags, up at my in-laws place on a rocky-bottomed Adirondack lake, since switching to that size up there.  On that small Adirondack lake, the bass move out and suspend over deep water after the shallows get too warm for them (usually by the end of June).  At that time, I look for birds or minnows breaking the surface out towards the center of the lake and head upwind of those spots with a small gas outboard (10 hp limit there). 

Drifting thru and casting that 1/8 oz jig out, counting off 8 or 10 seconds, and then twitching it a little, results in lots of action over water that might be 80 to 100 ft deep.    Those bass are usually spitting out minnows as I am reeling them in.   Since learning that trick a few years ago, mid-summer has become my favorite time to fish up there.   There is no deer hunting to distract me then, the swimming is great,  the bass are super aggressive, fight real hard, and there is absolutely no danger of loosing jigs to bottom snags out over the deep water.  Those jigs only cost me 10 cents to make, but they take some time and I don't always have enough buck (or doe) tails to make a lot.            

I fish a light action 7 foot fast action rod with 6 lb. test and fish mostly 1/16 oz. jigs....However in deeper water with current, a 1/8 Oz. is often necessary... I do occasionally fish 1/4 oz. in deeper water, say 20-25 feet...I always fish the lightest jig I can  get away with...

• Like 1

I fish a light action 7 foot fast action rod with 6 lb. test and fish mostly 1/16 oz. jigs....However in deeper water with current, a 1/8 Oz. is often necessary... I do occasionally fish 1/4 oz. in deeper water, say 20-25 feet...I always fish the lightest jig I can  get away with...

That 6lb test is the key to letting you use lighter jigs. I think anything higher than 8 is overkill for most bass fishing

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

That 6lb test is the key to letting you use lighter jigs. I think anything higher than 8 is overkill for most bass fishing

I fished 4 lb test for many years and did well with it...It fishes GREAT with the lighter jigs...However, you have to pay attention and re-tie often or you get breakoffs at the knot after a couple of good fish...  I went to 6 lb a few years ago...Doesn't fish the light lures quite as well, but is much more forgiving and takes a beating...I seldom break off a fish with it, unless I do something stupid, like catching 8 or ten good bass with it without re-tying..

• Like 1

All these conversations on jig heads.... 1/4oz, 1/8oz..... Give me a 15# rigger ball and 30# test, or 45# wire with a dipsy a 12" paddle in front of a meat rig, anyday ! And I hand tie all my own knots !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I love all fishing....I can have a ball floating a #16 dry fly on a 6X tippet for 10" trout, and then the next day  jig a 24 ounce diamond jig on  a pool cue rod spooled with 80 lb. test  in 300 feet of water for 100 pound halibut...  A matter of using the right tool for the job...

• Like 4

21 hours ago, wolc123 said:

i think we all offered to chip in and buy you a deer scale. I'm sure we can do the same for one of these?

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/rapala-mechanical-scale-and-fish-gripper

maybe even a package deal?

https://www.amazon.com/Game-330lb-Digital-Scale-GSD330/dp/B002QF2HNK/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=big+game+digital+scale&qid=1561639374&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I just registered to be president and CEO of the NYSSC. New York Sling Shot Commission. We must legalize this for deer season now!

• Like 2