Live From The Water 2019 Edition

WNYBuckHunter

11 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Between the eyes with some finesse. If they flop, try again. If they twitch, your good.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Years ago, on the Finger Lakes, everyone had a billy club aboard, usually 15 inches long, because that was the minimum legal limit for trout/landlocks....Net 'em, whack ,em on the head and throw them in the box.. Nowadays there is much more C& R...

When I fished for halibut in Alaska with a friend who was a local,, he had an orange plastic  club on board, weighted  on the business end with lead, that looked like something a bouncer in  an Anchorage  strip club might keep behind the bar....

We would get a 60 to 80 pound halibut up to the boat, and he would gaff it up over the gunwale, and hammer the CRAP out of it's head with that club, then slide it into the boat...A lot of the charter boats shot them at boatside with a .410  or a 20 gauge,  but my buddy said that was mostly a stunt for the tourists....

In any case, it was best to have a 50 to 200 pound fish immobile before you slide it aboard, because if it is flopping it could easily break somebody's leg or knock them over board...

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Cornell group on Oneida lake - biggest sturgeon yet - est to be 20yrs old.  Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, people sitting, child and outdoor

Awesome. Just watching Jeremy wade earlier catching 10 foot white sturgeon estimated at 80 years old.  Them bastids get 20 feet long. Neat critter for sure 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Awesome. Just watching Jeremy wade earlier catching 10 foot white sturgeon estimated at 80 years old.  Them bastids get 20 feet long. Neat critter for sure 

DAMN !!  I wish I could lay in a kiddy pool and have five pretty young ladies tend to me.. Lucky fish....

• Like 4

So I have zero experience fishing for stocked rainbow trout from a canoe. My fishing gear is limited to river fly fishing gear and some “bass stuff” and even that would be seen as limited.
Heading to a lake tomorrow that supposedly holds rainbow and wonder how I could get my hand on one- I do have a trolling motor that I can rig to the canoe but no depth finders or fancy treeguy stuff!
Hopeful some of the more helpful members chime in...and then there’s the guarantee I’m gonna take a hit from the WNY crew!! Preemptively, your pizza sux!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So I have zero experience fishing for stocked rainbow trout from a canoe. My fishing gear is limited to river fly fishing gear and some “bass stuff” and even that would be seen as limited.
Heading to a lake tomorrow that supposedly holds rainbow and wonder how I could get my hand on one- I do have a trolling motor that I can rig to the canoe but no depth finders or fancy treeguy stuff!
Hopeful some of the more helpful members chime in...and then there’s the guarantee I’m gonna take a hit from the WNY crew!! Preemptively, your pizza sux!

Only stocked rainbow? Maybe worms? If bigger rainbow, try shiner/saw bellies

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

If you have any type of spoons can slow troll those or use a weighted line and streamer.  Can also take one of the spoons and make a leader off from that with a dropper streamer and slow troll that. 

addition - small jigs on light line might also work- prob brighter colors like Chart and pink.  Tough part will be to know how deep they are.  But rainbows arent deep like lakers usually.     

Edited by Robhuntandfish

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

I do have a trolling motor that I can rig to the canoe but no depth finders or fancy treeguy stuff!

I just bought this portable from Amazon. $37! I want it more for a depth finder. Would be perfect for canoe\kayak. Have yet to use, but reviews were decent for price.

20190712_090553.jpg

Drop shot style a shiner on a 3 way.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Appreciate all the feedback- look forward to giving this all a go. Odd thing for me is the idea of just getting out in the middle of the lake and randomly casting or trolling random places. Most times I bass fish I am working shorelines or lily pads or weeds. I have no knowledge about bottom structure or depth(pic helps a bit) or cover so....
Stocked with rainbow and Browns according the DEC. max depth of 30’
d9073fefcee04ea17f2f32744656dbe2.jpg

Appreciate all the feedback- look forward to giving this all a go. Odd thing for me is the idea of just getting out in the middle of the lake and randomly casting or trolling random places. Most times I bass fish I am working shorelines or lily pads or weeds. I have no knowledge about bottom structure or depth(pic helps a bit) or cover so....

Stocked with rainbow and Browns according the DEC. max depth of 30’

d9073fefcee04ea17f2f32744656dbe2.jpg&key=fc410849193aeff6767d97d92d9efce6f4fa9a94e6b4ceb1a957b397eeeb97d0

I pass the sign for that on taconic sometimes. Never fished it. The trout may be dead or gone by now. You may be better off fishing nearby Canopus in Fahnestock for Bass/pickerel

• Like 1

I'd fish that narrow at the South side of lake that goes into main lake from 30-20 ft. 

Small pond with brookies and bows, I would use worms on slip bobber or small spinners like Pygmy said.  A lot of those lakes won't allow you to use minnows. So be sure before you try that.  It is possible to get an evening topwater bite for bows so bring that fly rod in case.  And can troll streamers with that.  My best advice would be lake clear wobbler and a worm on light line behind it on a slow troll 

Good luck. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Many relatively shallow ponds like this have have mayfly hatches in the evening just before dark....Take your fly rod and some big  ( #10 or #12) dun colored  dries and you may coax a strike or two on the surface.. Use a serpentine cast to minimize drag...Current or not DRAG is DRAG  and if the fly is moving they will NOT hit it...

A neighbor of mine once had small pond stocked with rainbows ( some big ones too) and he fed them dry dog food every day...

I tied some " dog food flies" out of spun deer hair and caught some trout on them..They were seldom fished for and unsophisticated, but TROUT are TROUT..If there was any unnatural drag on the fly they would not touch it.. It had to be floating like a nugget of Purina Dog Chow...

• Like 2