Live From The Water 2019 Edition

WNYBuckHunter

Weird day, a few short 24" northerns early on. Then something crushed my spinner and as I fought it toward my kayak I saw it was a huge Gar, he eventually spit the hook, but I got hit/bit on almost every cast to this spot. Strange, and they were eating it, I wasn't just bumping into them. I did land one eventually! IMG_20190531_124029369_HDR.jpgIMG_20190531_124112701_HDR.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 8

28 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Weird day, a few short 24" northerns early on. Then something crushed my spinner and as I fought it toward my kayak I saw it was a huge Gar, he eventually spit the hook, but I got hit/bit on almost every cast to this spot. Strange, and they were eating it, I wasn't just bumping into them. I did land one eventually! IMG_20190531_124029369_HDR.jpgIMG_20190531_124112701_HDR.jpg

Used to fish the Black River bay for walleyes and this time of year the gar would be stacked there in the shallows. Prob the spawn weird fish for sure. 

Black lake had a lot of them too. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Weird day, a few short 24" northerns early on. Then something crushed my spinner and as I fought it toward my kayak I saw it was a huge Gar, he eventually spit the hook, but I got hit/bit on almost every cast to this spot. Strange, and they were eating it, I wasn't just bumping into them. I did land one eventually! IMG_20190531_124029369_HDR.thumb.jpg.742602aa2fdc71116cf9a011c82765ae.jpgIMG_20190531_124112701_HDR.thumb.jpg.24109b45286f20fbbf4d07690fac0783.jpg

Cool. I didn’t know there were Gar in NY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Cool. I didn’t know there were Gar in NY

There are a lot of gar in certain bodies of water, and they get quite big! This was just a small one but the one I lost beside the kayak was probably 35-38." They truly remind me of dinosaurs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chrisw said:

That thing reminds me of my 7th grade English teacher...We called her " Needlenose"....

Weather forecaster nailed it again. Afternoon storms. So afternoon is 8:30am?   We got off the lake saw rain coming but didn't want to. Thunder and lightning by the time we got to the dock. Fishing buddy Corey caught most of these. He was killing it today. Walleye was in 8ft of water. Just a keeper but that's enough.  Sure would've liked to stay out. Walleye tourney out there today too.  But we got soaked and even if we got thru that the lightning is a no go. 

IMG_20190601_091929884_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Hit the RoeJan (Columbia county)with the fly rod last evening and this morning. Had some fun chasing stocked brown who were all super aggressive towards any caddis that floated well. Roughly a dozen brought to the net with as many missed strikes over the two outings. No big fish to be found although it was only our first time on this waterway. Further research and exploration required!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Hit the RoeJan (Columbia county)with the fly rod last evening and this morning. Had some fun chasing stocked brown who were all super aggressive towards any caddis that floated well. Roughly a dozen brought to the net with as many missed strikes over the two outings. No big fish to be found although it was only our first time on this waterway. Further research and exploration required!

kill a few stockers to eat I hope ?!

On 5/31/2019 at 9:49 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

We
See a lot of gar in Cayuga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Aren’t gar the ones you can use rope and no hook to catch ? Their mouths are so full  of teeth the small piece of rope gets caught in their teeth.