Live From The Water 2019 Edition

WNYBuckHunter

Went out on Friday after placing some cams out for deer season. Definitely caught well over 2 dozen smallies and 3 catfish in the short time I was there. All fish were caught in flies believe it or not. Can’t wait to get back out there because my fishing season until now has really sucked IMG_9951.jpgIMG_9960.jpgIMG_9955.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

Caught my largest smallmouth bass today on beautiful Skaneateles Lake. I was using 6 lb. test line with a 5' ultralight spinning rod and a Mitchell ultralight spinning reel. The bass hit like a freight train and it took quite awhile to get the fish in with it making several long runs. Oh I love the sound of drag running out! When I got the fish in it was completely exhausted and near death and I wanted to release it alive so I did not weigh or measure it. As soon as the photo was taken I got it back in the water and with a little resuscitation it swam down deep. I felt really good that it made it and will spawn another day.        valoroutdoors.com 

[

20190823_182909.jpg

Edited by CharlieNY
Add
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, CharlieNY said:

Caught my largest smallmouth bass today on beautiful Skaneateles Lake. I was using 6 lb. test line with a 5' ultralight spinning rod and a Mitchell ultralight spinning reel. The bass hit like a freight train and it took quite awhile to get the fish in with it making several long runs. Oh I love the sound of drag running out! When I got the fish in it was completely exhausted and near death and I wanted to release it alive so I did not weigh or measure it. As soon as the photo was taken I got it back in the water and with a little resuscitation it swam down deep. I felt really good that it made it and will spawn another day.        valoroutdoors.com 

[

20190823_182909.jpg

Nice smallie!!!I remember 12 or so years ago i didnt know too much about fishing equipment and what was what.me and a buddy would fish black creek behind his house throwing nothing but full size spinnerbait's on ultralight setups.pike and smallmouth left and right.what a blast it is with UL gear!

LadyO was quite angry today. But, battled it out and took 3rd in a local tourney. PB steelhead hit the deck and we ended up with a 20# average. 17ish bites. Decent day considering the heavy NE. They are definitely staging and darkening up. 8b4d9990e24ea67a4d1c2b887a9b8a1b.jpga4de15ebd526195d12fcc5f8b706b45a.jpg08ce4a0bdc0958613fe78bece7e611c9.jpg3712a86c12e9c08819216b740cfc74ee.jpg1ea0b37f2efd31f3be5cfaec9cfd9a7d.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

LadyO was quite angry today. But, battled it out and took 3rd in a local tourney. PB steelhead hit the deck and we ended up with a 20# average. 17ish bites. Decent day considering the heavy NE. They are definitely staging and darkening up. 8b4d9990e24ea67a4d1c2b887a9b8a1b.jpga4de15ebd526195d12fcc5f8b706b45a.jpg08ce4a0bdc0958613fe78bece7e611c9.jpg3712a86c12e9c08819216b740cfc74ee.jpg1ea0b37f2efd31f3be5cfaec9cfd9a7d.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Great job Andrew.  That looks fun!  What was the biggest?

Edited by moog5050

Did some kayak fishing up in the ADKs yesterday. Caught a bunch of bass. These are just a few. The smallmouth actually jumped into the kayak when I got it alongside..easiest land job ever. That tiny guy, the worm was longer than him. I dont know how he got the hook in his mouth. 51e96d14fffc583ac6910b7c591fd0e9.jpg6b2edeb90f0f8190447367bd98390f7a.jpgb3ec3608249ff268ef80c2f489e7fe8c.jpgfc6ccf131b2c19cf5ad1aa0db9f175cd.jpg48ebd1b0e31f2dd18b84a9d13f1426e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

My sister  , who lives in Florida, is renting a place on Keuka Lake for the month of September, so I plan to tie my boat up there  for a month...It is nice just being able to drive over to the lake, jump in the boat and go fishing without having to drag the boat back and forth from home each time...

According to reports from friends, the perch fishing has been somewhat slow, but the smallmouth fishing continues to be hot and the fishing for panfish other than perch is good...The rock bass are running big this year

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Ran over to LI Sound in Mamaroneck to see about the snapper run. Caught three short fluke instead.

431698ff26405c4c931181b76192f078.jpg

The "snapper run".....sounds interesting...Is it a marathon, or just a 5K  ??…..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The "snapper run".....sounds interesting...Is it a marathon, or just a 5K  ??…..

Some seasons it seems like a sprint! Snappers(baby Bluefish) storm the back harbors and wreck little poppers or spearing. Great fun for kids of all ages! Often bigger blues and stripers hang under them. Unlike mature Blues, snapper are quite tasty.

• Like 3

My youngest brother called and wanted to fish. OK I said, so we headed down to the Mohawk, between locks 9 and 10. Hammered the smallies! And had a great time with little bro!

These were the biggest two.

Mine.....3lbs 13oz

Little  Bro......3lbs 11oz

20190829_081454.thumb.jpg.73537a46aa87d89a2eb20a550bf6d341.jpg20190829_083108.thumb.jpg.ce561e18c9d6cc2337e17c5d0b767885.jpg

20190829_085512.jpg

Edited by grampy
  • Like 10

12 hours ago, crappyice said:

Some seasons it seems like a sprint! Snappers(baby Bluefish) storm the back harbors and wreck little poppers or spearing. Great fun for kids of all ages! Often bigger blues and stripers hang under them. Unlike mature Blues, snapper are quite tasty.

Many moons ago, my destroyer was tied to a pier  in Newport, RI  for a month or so....After ship's knock off work, some of my buddies and I would bum a few pieces of ANY kind of meat from the cook, and use it as bait to catch small snapper blues off the destroyer pier...We would then cut the little bluefish into small pieces and use them to catch 8-10" tinker mackerel...

After we had a few mackerel, we would rig them  with an 8/0 hook and wire leader and freeline them off the end of the pier for BIG blues..... Great fun  !!   We had no way to cook the fish so we gave them to the Filipino Stewards  who took care of the officer's wardroom...  Sometimes  the stewards would invite me into the officer's galley when they cooked up a bunch, heads and all....With the seasonings they used in the cooking, they were really not too bad !!

• Like 2

Many moons ago, my destroyer was tied to a pier  in Newport, RI  for a month or so....After ship's knock off work, some of my buddies and I would bum a few pieces of ANY kind of meat from the cook, and use it as bait to catch small snapper blues off the destroyer pier...We would then cut the little bluefish into small pieces and use them to catch 8-10" tinker mackerel...
After we had a few mackerel, we would rig them  with an 8/0 hook and wire leader and freeline them off the end of the pier for BIG blues..... Great fun  !!   We had no way to cook the fish so we gave them to the Filipino Stewards  who took care of the officer's wardroom...  Sometimes  the stewards would invite me into the officer's galley when they cooked up a bunch, heads and all....With the seasonings they used in the cooking, they were really not too bad !!

A lot of guys swear by the small snapper as great fluke bait....thats gotta be some big ass fluke or small ass snapper.

• Like 2

Out on Oneida.  Was pretty slow, hooked two walleye , lost two walleye. Line got tangled in my transducer once and lost one. Oh well still fishing.  

Big elite series bass tournament on the lake next weekend , lots of pros out scouting.  Talked to Jaime Hartman at the boat launch for a bit .  Real nice guy. https://m.bassmaster.com/anglers/jamie-hartman

Out on Oneida.  Was pretty slow, hooked two walleye , lost two walleye. Line got tangled in my transducer once and lost one. Oh well still fishing.  
Big elite series bass tournament on the lake next weekend , lots of pros out scouting.  Talked to Jaime Hartman at the boat launch for a bit .  Real nice guy. https://m.bassmaster.com/anglers/jamie-hartman

For years my dad and I fished Table Rock Lake and it was usually a week before the Bassmasters. Those guys would be there just cruising the shorelines with binos mapping fish on beds, not fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

For years my dad and I fished Table Rock Lake and it was usually a week before the Bassmasters. Those guys would be there just cruising the shorelines with binos mapping fish on beds, not fishing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Saw a lot of them out there on the lake just cruising the shoals slow watching the graph.  

At the cottage for the weekend, it's been quite a while since the 4 of us have been here together without guests or one missing. My younger daughter (23) surprised me and asked to go fishing with me for the evening troll. First time is about 13 years! I caught one 15" walleye on first swing, then she outfished me the rest of the night, including this nice 18" . All went back in for next time.
b404d9afda9ee9fd08254883b5a59aa4.jpg
64cf27f3c6ba6801a918735aadedce77.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 13