Live From The Water 2019 Edition

WNYBuckHunter

Hit up Hemlock lake today for a few hours before the rain hit. Got 4 nice SMB and 1 LMB. Then got enough bluegills for a decent fish fry. Left my phone in the truck, so the only pic is of the bluegill fillets. 442bfccf370743170e4f6421a67b577f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

Lake Erie Walleyes taste good until they move out and suspend under the zooplankon.   That usually starts around mid-July.   The meat starts tasting like algae smells around that time.  They are very easy to catch by trolling then, but not so good on the table.   

Couldn't prove it by me, Wolc, because those are the first and only LE walleyes I ever ate...Maybe I'll go up  again later in the summer and make a taste test..

46 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

I do remember a story about a guy named Ben Dover from that lake..........

:)

Yeah, I camped with that guy a couple of times..After the FIRST time I made sure to take my "soap on a rope"...

4 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Couldn't prove it by me, Wolc, because those are the first and only LE walleyes I ever ate...Maybe I'll go up  again later in the summer and make a taste test..

I am a bit finicky when it comes to eating fish.   I can handle the taste of late-summer Erie Walleyes, as long as I use lots of tarter sauce or cayenne pepper to cover up that "algae" taste.    Back in the late eighties / early-nineties, when the population was almost as high as it is today, I experimented with different ways of making them taste good.    These days, the only ones I keep are those taken "by accident" while we are targeting bass, and most of those are early season when they don't need any "spicing up" to make them taste good.

Late summer has long been the easiest time to fill coolers with walleyes out on Lake Erie.   The  big schools from Ohio would always migrate over here at that time.  Now, the native eastern-basin population seems to be at an all-time high.   With all those round gobies to forage on, they might stay in the shallows and keep tasting good later into the summer, than they did back in the old days. 

With the exception of those late-summer Erie walleyes, I agree with you that they all taste the same.   I never understood why so many folks think that you got to go way up north into Canada in order to find good-tasting Walleyes.   I only caught them up there once, on a Moose-hunting trip in the late eighties.  They tasted identical to those we always caught in Chataqua Lake, the Allegheny reservoir, and early-season on Lake Erie.    

Since discovering how to make bass taste great (use a livewell to keep them alive and fresh, such that the meat is still "twitching" when removed and use a vacuum-sealer prior to freezing), I rarely fish for walleyes anymore.   Walleyes, especially caught while trolling, just don't put up enough of a fight to earn much of my time.   There are only so many lame pieces of "driftwood" that I can handle reeling in.                     

Edited by wolc123

23 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Erie to get skunked on walleye as usual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

buddy was out yesterday in front of sturgeon point 25-30. Limited in 2 hrs- worm harnesses 

• Like 1

Who the hell is Ben Gardner????

You got city hands, Mr Lawdwaz. Been countin’ money all your life” if you don’t know Ben Gardener. Pretty sure Ben is the Kittner boy’s neighbor and had a dog named Pippin.

• Like 1

You got city hands, Mr Lawdwaz. Been countin’ money all your life” if you don’t know Ben Gardener. Pretty sure Ben is the Kittner boy’s neighbor and had a dog named Pippin.

Amity you know means friendship.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Picked up a couple walleye trolling before fireworks at midway park on chautauqua. My brother lost 1 not bad for 20 minutes of trolling.

The gar and my sons walleye were from the day before same area. Just finished swimming and popped those 2 fish quickly.

Lots of perch, sunnys, white bass caught while we were there. Snorkeled around a rocky shore line and caught crawfish, i fed a smallie while snorkeling. Threw the crawfish to him and he got it. Also found some "mudpuppies" hellbenders while flippin rocks. Great week.

20190706_214006.jpg

20190706_213535.jpg

20190705_213733.jpg

20190705_212404.jpg

• Like 7