Live From The Water 2019 Edition

WNYBuckHunter

I actually made a new ice fishing friend on a new lake today. I was the only one out there about 3:00. I used a lake map to get near a drop off to try and find some crappies moving up for an evening bite. For the first half hour all I was getting was a bunch of 7-8 inch, skinny perch.

About that time i hear someone coming through the crunchy snow, and he comes right at me. Instead of walking right on by when I greeted him, he stopped and bullshitted for a couple minutes, telling me he is after crappies too, and there is another shelf that he found about 20 feet from me. I asked if he was going to fish it and he said he didn't want to crowd me out. I told him to drill and fish away, and if he got on the crappies, i would come over and crowd him.

Well, he gets a crappie right off the bat and tells me to get over there and grab a different hole. I proceed to start reeling them in almost as fast as I can get the bait down, while he has a full screen and hardly any bites.We compare baits, and it's easy to see that my setup is a lot smaller than his, but he doesn't have any jigs and plastic comparable. I dig in my jig box and give him a couple 3 mm jigs like I am using, and some spikes. He is instantly reeling them in right with me. It was an awesome hour and a half until we just flat ran out of light. As it was, we were using out fish finders to see our poles at the end. He kept 6 crappies about a foot long, and I kept none, and he was happy about that. I said i had a christmas dinner later, and didn't want to bother with the fish cleaning when i could be back there tomorrow.

This is a perfect example why I like to hunt and fish socially so I have somebody else working with me instead of against me. Probably going to end up being one of my top days of fishing this winter. 

• Like 15

already been at least 3 ice rescues on Oneida this season.  Guys going out and spudding the ice on the way to see if they can make it.  Wish they would charge people $1000 when this happens for all the manpower and risk for others involved for a few fish.  Legion has an awesome fish fry for $10.  Wait til safe ice!   Image may contain: text and outdoor

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

See I tricked you into telling me what you were using. Let’s try this now...

Hopefully you were fishing the north end of Cayuga Lake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'll let you trick me just once more, Onondaga Lake.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got back on some safe ice this evening. It was fairly warm out so i didn't take my shanty. that was a mistake, as the wind was blowing on the hill. Fish were biting good and i got a nice batch of perch and crappies. Unfortunately, I was dumb enough to stay out long enough to get my hands cold enough that they were burning on the way home. The shanty will be going next time.

• Like 1

@AThunter
I just drove down the Sprain Brook Parkway past the reservoir- any idea why it is mostly drained?!?!
Never seen it that low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That body of water next to sprain golf course? I noticed that too. Looks weird. Do people fish it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk