LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

Wow I can’t believe you passed the 10. Are you comfortable at 52yds? If so, when I practicing drawing on deer in a blind I do the same thing as Xbow. I double check my arrow will go out a window clean and no limbs are going to hit (moreso with forward flying Xbow limbs).

I don’t practice to 50yds because I’d never have a shot that long where I hunt, but if I hunted field I’d definitely want to be proficient at long range.

Any pics of the 7 you passed? Sounds cool

Edit- nevermind, just saw your comment about not being comfy from 50 even in a stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

absolutely insane night.   Was tempted on a 7pt - tall tined and wide and then the fat 10 came in.  Heavy mass rack and BIG BODIED.    Decided against the 7 even though he came in range.  10 never got closer than 52.   Piebald at 30 for a while but I decided to let her go with her fawns.  Just didn’t have the heart.  And she rules that plot pushing does and bucks around.    Lots of fun without releasing an arrow.  Hoping Friday is similar.   

Sounds like an awesome hunt! That ten point will give you a chance before it's all said and done!!! Perhaps before the end of this weekend?

The seven must be real nice as well, to have tempted you?

Good luck buddy!

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Wow I can’t believe you passed the 10. Are you comfortable at 52yds? If so, when I practicing drawing on deer in a blind I do the same thing as Xbow. I double check my arrow will go out a window clean and no limbs are going to hit (moreso with forward flying Xbow limbs).

I don’t practice to 50yds because I’d never have a shot that long where I hunt, but if I hunted field I’d definitely want to be proficient at long range.

Any pics of the 7 you passed? Sounds cool

Edit- nevermind, just saw your comment about not being comfy from 50 even in a stand.

This was the 7.   It’s not that I can’t  shoot well to 50.  It’s more that a deer can move quite a bit before an arrow arrives.  And I don’t like taking the risk 

00F5C941-53E0-43A2-B823-C73E84D92D79.png

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grampy said:

Sounds like an awesome hunt! That ten point will give you a chance before it's all said and done!!! Perhaps before the end of this weekend?

Good luck buddy!

Thanks Dave.  Cat and mouse.  I may lose but will have fun trying.  

• Like 1

I have a window to get out tomorrow morning for a sit! This is my "opening day".

Looks like the temps in the morning will be in the mid 40's, with an ESE wind at 5-15 MPH. I guess I will be setting up behind a rock wall I like for rifle, but not so much for bow. Oh well, I will be out!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

It’s not that I can’t  shoot well to 50.  It’s more than a deer can move quite a bit before an arrow arrives.  And I don’t like taking the risk 

Amen to that 50 yards with a bow is a long shot:imsohappy:

• Like 1

This was the 7.   It’s not that I can’t  shoot well to 50.  It’s more than a deer can move quite a bit before an arrow arrives.  And I don’t like taking the risk 
00F5C941-53E0-43A2-B823-C73E84D92D79.thumb.png.949610d5e4ad38f6ea2fe3d2f2d3fc66.png

You have more restraint that I do Moog. That 7 would not have lasted in front of me even with a 10 in the same field.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moho81 said:

You have more restraint that I do Moog. That 7 would not have lasted in front of me even with a 10 in the same field.

I was debating on the 7 anyways but seeing the 10 convinced me to wait without question.   No regrets at all.  That 10 has some mass (probably doesn’t score huge because not a lot of tine length maybe 7-8” G2s).  I love bucks with mass.  I don’t usually see the best bucks until later so I will take my chances.  Not the end of the world if I don’t connect either.   I realized last year after tagging out too early, the fun is in the chase.  

• Like 6

This was the 7.   It’s not that I can’t  shoot well to 50.  It’s more that a deer can move quite a bit before an arrow arrives.  And I don’t like taking the risk 
00F5C941-53E0-43A2-B823-C73E84D92D79.thumb.png.949610d5e4ad38f6ea2fe3d2f2d3fc66.png

Cool buck. I’m with Moho, I would have shot the 7 and hoped for the 10 with the gun. But I’m not hunting a Mecca like you. I can understand your pass

34 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Great decision making!!!  There is more that can go wrong than right in my opinion at 50 yards or more..    Wounding a deer and not recovering it is torcher...

Edited by t_barb
  • Like 1

Cudos on passing the long shot Moog.....Hopefully you will get a closer chance..

If you were out west, a 50 yard shot would BE a relatively close shot,  but why press it when odds are you will get a better chance..   You  remain to be my hero....<< blush>>….

4 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Cudos on passing the long shot Moog.....Hopefully you will get a closer chance..

If you were out west, a 50 yard shot would BE a relatively close shot,  but why press it when odds are you will get a better chance..   You  remain to be my hero....<< blush>>….

Thanks Dan. Is what it is.  It would take my arrow more than 1/2 second to reach the deer.  Even I can move a long ways in 1/2 second and I am not speedy.   Lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, moog5050 said:

wow moog thats a nice buck. I imagine that 10 is a beauty though to keep you after him.  Good luck hope we see pics of him and you together

in this pic he looks surprised you didnt shoot him too! 

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

absolutely insane night.   Was tempted on a 7pt - tall tined and wide and then the fat 10 came in.  Heavy mass rack and BIG BODIED.    Decided against the 7 even though he came in range.  10 never got closer than 52.   Piebald at 30 for a while but I decided to let her go with her fawns.  Just didn’t have the heart.  And she rules that plot pushing does and bucks around.    Lots of fun without releasing an arrow.  Hoping Friday is similar.   

That sounds like a perfect early hunt...had opportunities and left with a reason to return. Your patience will be rewarded!

• Like 1