LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

I am not much of a bow guy myself, but shooting at a deer at 52 yards is a bloody mess just waiting to happen in my opinion.  Sure you could kill it if you connect in the right spot, but odds are better that you probably won't connect in that right spot, thus it's better not to even try it. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, steve863 said:

I am not much of a bow guy myself, but shooting at a deer at 52 yards is a bloody mess just waiting to happen in my opinion.  Sure you could kill it if you connect in the right spot, but odds are better that you probably won't connect in that right spot, thus it's better not to even try it. 

I don't think so if someone is a proficient shooter at that distance. the difference between 40 yards (which many people think is OK) and 52 yards is 12 yards, right? Lets say for even numbers that the arrow is traveling only at 125fps at that distance. That is 42 yards per second. But we are only talking about 12 yards, so 12/42 = .285 seconds. So the difference of a 40 yard shot vs. 52 yard shot is .285 seconds, but likely much less since I am using 125fps as the basis.

• Like 1

I know a guy who shot in an archery league all summer.  He held great groups out to 60yds.  He shot a doe on our farm at 50ish.  She spun and he hit her in the face.  He tracked her for 2 days and never found her.  To each his own, but I believe he learned a lesson about the difference between a stationary target and a live deer.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I know a guy who shot in an archery league all summer.  He held great groups out to 60yds.  He shot a doe on our farm at 50ish.  She spun and he hit her in the face.  He tracked her for 2 days and never found her.  To each his own, but I believe he learned a lesson about the difference between a stationary target and a live deer.

But would she not have spun at 40 yards? I'm not sure 40 or 50 made the difference on that deer/shot.

Saw 2 last night one of the biggest bodies I’ve ever seen in the woods

Zilch this am...saw lots of apples down tho (during my #groundhunt) on the way...

Speed of sound is 1125 FPS. 

Anything over 30 and the odds of getting ducked go way up...under 20 on an alert deer and they can duck enough to screw up your shot.  

52 is crazy on a whitetail

Edited by OtiscoPaul

Just now, OtiscoPaul said:

Zilch this am...saw lots of apples down tho...

Anything over 30 and the odds of getting ducked go way up...under 20 on an alert deer and they can duck enough to screw up your shot.  

How about 80yds on an antelope in 30mph wind?

4 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

Zilch this am...saw lots of apples down tho...

Deer do not duck arrows. Hunters just dont shoot at the lower 1/3rd of the deer, and when they load up their legs to run, they shoot over their back or hit the back straps.

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Deer do not duck arrows.Hunters just dont shoot at the lower 1/3rd of the deer, and when they load up their legs to run, they shoot over their back or hit the back straps.

Someone post the video please...the one with the doe slomo ducking and rolling under a 40 yard shot on target POI moved 5-6”s

Edited by OtiscoPaul

Just had a baby and a big one in front. The big one was behind a tree. No shot. Something spooked them and took off. The big one was at 25 yd. Was waiting to come out from behind the tree. I drew. I could not hold it anymore. I was waiting for the doe to come out. She was stomping. I think she made me. She took off not too fast. Kinda like something is not right.

Been here in the woods since opener. 4 of us on the property. Nothing till today. One more morning sit tomorrow then back to reality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Deer do not duck arrows. Hunters just dont shoot at the lower 1/3rd of the deer, and when they load up their legs to run, they shoot over their back or hit the back straps.

Deer can drop enough that even a shot at the lower 3rd will result in a miss or spine shot. And those chances increase as the distance grows. Everybody needs to decide for themselves what distance they consider safe in any different situation.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Post all the videos you want, deer dont know what an arrow is, or what the sound a bow makes is. They hear something and instict tells them to run. They drop to load up their legs, like springs. Thats all it is.

No kidding they don’t know what an arrow is...You have an alright site but you are a blowhard who sounds like a dope at this moment 

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BowmanMike said:

Deer can drop enough that even a shot at the lower 3rd will result in a miss or spine shot. And those chances increase as the distance grows. Everybody needs to decide for themselves what distance they consider safe in any different situation.

I agree, im just saying that deer "ducking arrows" is a myth.

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

How about 80yds on an antelope in 30mph wind?

Guys shooting at game at 80 yards with a bow are the same type of bozos who shoot game at 1000 yards with a rifle.  They'll show off that one amazing killing shot at long distance but will never show you the ten or more shots they screwed up at these distances before they made that one amazing one. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I agree, im just saying that deer "ducking arrows" is a myth.

What a statement of certainty, that’s always the first sign someone is clueless 

I’m not certain of anythinh other than if you shoot too far away at an alert deer, it notices something happened and hits the deck...

Effectively dodging your arrow

Edited by OtiscoPaul

Just now, WNYBuckHunter said:

Or its the sign of someone that has learned from the research other people have done on the subject. Its like the moon phase myth. Been proven wrong for quite a while.

Believe what you would like but nothing has been proven on either subject and again imsisting so with such aggressive certainty reveals your ignorance.