LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

1 minute ago, Nomad said:

I always put two arrows on my string one below the other ,that way if they duck the top,one the lower one is spot on .

Thats the same approach I took as a kid... loading 5 or 6 bbs into my bb gun.  If it works on starlings, its gotta work on deer!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steve D said:

It can be done

Impressive still but that's one slow arrow with the marshmallow at the end thrown from a recurve.  Now try it with a 415fps crossbow.

On that note, I had a friend tell me he just bought such a crossbow and can kill deer at 80yds.  I gently explained that that is the same as a 200fps arrow at 40yds.  Ignoring accuracy, its still lots of time before the arrow gets there.  "I know but it can be done."  Oh boy - OK.

• Like 2

With the truck in for repairs and after seeing 10 bucks yesterday morning and two dinks in the afternoon walk by my ladder stand I decided to hit it this morning. Nice morning to be out for a couple of hours until it started to rain.

After a couple of hrs. of getting wet decided to get down and pull my cams so they don't get stolen and will probably relocate them in a couple of days or so. Saw quite a few new small rubs but nothing to write home about. Nothing on the cameras to write home about either but posted a couple any way.

Nice to get out for the first time and look forward to my next opportunity.

IMG_20191003_080251[1].jpg

stand.jpg

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I decided not to shoot at a deer at 52yds.  I am not telling anyone else how to hunt.  Each should make their own decision.  I just don't like the chance of wounding and hard tracking jobs without a deer at the end.  Had that happen a couple of times and try to learn from that.  But my post was not intended to tell others what they should or shouldn't do.  Carry on brethren.

Being someone that has been lucky enough to take 20+ deer with the bow, I agree 100%..   At some point you have to throw science out the window because when "buck fever" and environmental elements come into play (including the deer's instincts and reactions) a lot can go wrong.

Unfortunately, people rely to much on the "science" of things and have to learn the hard way.

The reality is that a lot of people feel like that have to take marginal or long shots because they have not put in the preparation to know that if they are patient their strategy will pay off.   Of the 20+ deer I have taken with the bow, 22 yards has been the furthest I have had to shoot.

When the 10 point is standing broadside at 15 yards, you will be rewarded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

I love ya biz but are we already comparing stupid western dullards to the cagey east coast suburban whitetail again

Tons of whitetails killed at over 50 yards every single year. Whether you want to believe it or not.

3 minutes ago, Steve D said:

With the truck in for repairs and after seeing 10 bucks yesterday morning and two dinks in the afternoon walk by my ladder stand I decided to hit it this morning. Nice morning to be out for a couple of hours until it started to rain.

After a couple of hrs. of getting wet decided to get down and pull my cams so they don't get stolen and will probably relocate them in a couple of days or so. Saw quite a few new small rubs but nothing to write home about. Nothing on the cameras to write home about either but posted a couple any way.

Nice to get out for the first time and look forward to my next opportunity.

IMG_20191003_080251[1].jpg

stand.jpg

Sweet looking spot

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

"I know but it can be done."  Oh boy - OK.

Just saying...It isn't for me and for me personally I limit my shots to 25 yds. or less Anything beyond that I more than likely won't be making the shot even though I practice at farther yardages.

27 minutes ago, OtiscoPaul said:

It’s not a fact...Biz was being Biz, I teased him a little about long out west shots and then accidentally said the word duck (which is literally the action you described where it’s body goes lower).

Then I had to be corrected by the deer fact and language cop in a very certain way

no man of science claims to know the whole truth of any matter 

I was just making the point that if someone is proficient and feels comfortable shooting to 50 yards, there is pretty much no difference between 40 and 50 yards assuming all other things equal.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

yeah but it shouldn't be. none of us would let one fly at a doe at that range, so I think moog made the right call.

It shouldn’t? If you can shoot from those ranges and are comfortable doing so why not? If you can’t then you should know your limitations. I’m not saying I would Or wouldn’t shoot a deer at that range but I now I’ve practice out to 100 yards on a piece of foam 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sodfather said:

It shouldn’t? If you can shoot from those ranges and are comfortable doing so why not? If you can’t then you should know your limitations. I’m not saying I would Or wouldn’t shoot a deer at that range but I now I’ve practice out to 100 yards on a piece of foam 

feeling comfortable at the range and being proficient in the deer woods are different. I don't disagree that some aren't capable, but I do feel even the best archers are running a risk of wounding and losing a deer because of how attractive the head gear is. Like I said, nobody would take that shot on a doe. But we all get antler fever, and we can all be guilty of taking low percentage shots because of it. Same can be applied to gun season with an empty freezer. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

feeling comfortable at the range and being proficient in the deer woods are different. I don't disagree that some aren't capable, but I do feel even the best archers are running a risk of wounding and losing a deer because of how attractive the head gear is. Like I said, nobody would take that shot on a doe. But we all get antler fever, and we can all be guilty of taking low percentage shots because of it. Same can be applied to gun season with an empty freezer. 

Everyone on any given hunt is running that risk Belo . Even on a 15 yard chip shot your taking a risk. I have no issues with the decision the CAT burglar made and  I don’t care what anyone shoots at or what or how far I was just putting myself in that situation. Being in a bind I most certainly would not . If I’m on the ground or stand maybe. That’s all I’ll say on this 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnplav said:

I think at this point "dropping due to loading up leg muscles" can be referred to as "ducking the arrow".  It's easier to say and most of us understand whats going on.  If deer were smart enough to actively dodge an arrow coming in at 200 mph... we wouldn't have a chance.

the other point is that it's rare and under 30 yards it doesn't happen either.

shoot at deer at reasonable ranges with high probability and it doesn't matter if it's a new freak deer living next to the nuke plant with embedded radar mutated genetics. 

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

This is a good video on string jumping and how it does kind of happen and how it still shouldn’t result in a wounded deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's worse though:

A. deer standing broadside at 25 yards, but looking straight at you and clearly alert.

B. deer standing broadside at 50 yards, but head down eating and no clue you are there

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Yup, the one in East Berne. Be happy to have ya join us if ya can! I got stuff to do at the farm, so will head out of the woods at 10:30 or so. Then go back in hopefully about 2 and sit till dark. So I should be there about 11am or so, for a cup of coffee and a quick bite to eat.

Tomorrow or Saturday?