LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

22 minutes ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

So there I was in my tree stand, in the last few minutes of sunlight (an hour ago), when I see a dark colored beast to my right. I couldn't see how many points he had, wasn't too big, but wasn't too small either. I'd guess 6. Anyway I wait until he gets to a clearing at about 30 yards, draw back my bow, and nail him. The arrow knocks him down, and he rolls around on the ground for a few seconds, before getting up and running away. I watch the lighted knock fall out about 50 yards away (not sure whether it fell out or if the arrow broke, etc.), then I climbed down and came home to write this while I wait. It wasn't a perfect shot, because the arrow was clearly hanging out. I'm thinking it hit the shoulder blade. I'll go out in about half an hour or so and see how much blood there is and take a look at what the arrow looks like...

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Discipline! or I lost my mind! 6:30ish I had a spike, a small 8pt., and a good 7pt. at 20 yards feeding without a care in the world. And i let them walk. I have my sights on a bigger deer so i held off for now. But wow was that exciting!

• Like 1

Just dropped the wife and kids off at the airport as they are going down to Orlando for a ninja competition. I actually wish I was going I love watching the competitions. But guess who has two thumbs and no responsibility till Thursday?  That’s right this guy. Anyone needs me I’ll be in the stand. Good luck boys and girls let’s knock something down.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

So there I was in my tree stand, in the last few minutes of sunlight (an hour ago), when I see a dark colored beast to my right. I couldn't see how many points he had, wasn't too big, but wasn't too small either. I'd guess 6. Anyway I wait until he gets to a clearing at about 30 yards, draw back my bow, and nail him. The arrow knocks him down, and he rolls around on the ground for a few seconds, before getting up and running away. I watch the lighted knock fall out about 50 yards away (not sure whether it fell out or if the arrow broke, etc.), then I climbed down and came home to write this while I wait. It wasn't a perfect shot, because the arrow was clearly hanging out. I'm thinking it hit the shoulder blade. I'll go out in about half an hour or so and see how much blood there is and take a look at what the arrow looks like...

Might have hit the opposite shoulder too.  Good luck

• Like 1

Deer all over the sprain and taconic prkways..:3n is about to get lit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw nothing and then driving home saw 5 deer on Taconic. Unfortunately I can’t hunt this weekend. Maybe tomorrow AM till 9am at most

10 yards from a frickin monster Tonite on the way out.  Got dwon from stand at dark.  Walk out to trail and where I walk out it's a triangle of trails so I look down the trail to my left. HUGE body in trail.  I actually say to myself that can't be a deer..... Oh it was.  A huge buck.  So I step out of trial into the brush. Buck continues to walk down trail right too me.  I can just see him thru the brush a bit.  He turns at a scrape tree about 10 yards from me and ducks into the brush.  Was shaking still in the truck.  Monster. 

Ten minutes sooner I would've had a 30 yard pin on him

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 11

15 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

10 yards from a frickin monster Tonite on the way out.  Got dwon from stand at dark.  Walk out to trail and where I walk out it's a triangle of trails so I look down the trail to my left. HUGE body in trail.  I actually say to myself that can't be a deer..... Oh it was.  A huge buck.  So I step out of trial into the brush. Buck continues to walk down trail right too me.  I can just see him thru the brush a bit.  He turns at a scrape tree about 10 yards from me and ducks into the brush.  Was shaking still in the truck.  Monster. 

Gotta love it.thats what keeps us coming back!!!

• Like 1

Keep at em. Seems like you got him pegged. Just need him to slip up. He won this time but you’ll win in the end!

1 minute ago, Moho81 said:

Keep at em. Seems like you got him pegged. Just need him to slip up. He won this time but you’ll win in the end!

Thanks Moho!!!!

Been patterning the does in this spot. Pretty much every other night there are does on cam in the 6:00 pm hour.  So was hoping to connect with a nice doe or maybe the 8 I have on cam didn't expect this and don't have him on cam.  He's way bigger than the 8 I have pics of..  Way heavier. 

Tomorrows wind is in the east so this stand will be a no go unfortunately or I would be there. 

Thanks Moho!!!!
Been patterning the does in this spot. Pretty much every other night there are does on cam in the 6:00 pm hour.  So was hoping to connect with a nice doe or maybe the 8 I have on cam didn't expect this and don't have him on cam.  He's way bigger than the 8 I have pics of..  Way heavier. 
Tomorrows wind is in the east so this stand will be a no go unfortunately or I would be there. 

It’s funny that you say it’s a no go because of the wind. The stand I sat today is new and I found out it’s the opposite. It was a north wind so I sat on the south side of the plot and got winded 3 times. I’m starting to realize that in that valley the wind is backward

Had a big zip tonight, brother saw a small buck. On way in 200 yards from where I park was a big fresh scrape. On way out it was freshened with a big ass hoof print in it. I went back in and cleared out a brush blind in a blow down 25 yards from it. Now I just can’t decide how soon I should sit on it. Guess I’ll get a cam on it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chef said:

It’s funny that you say it’s a no go because of the wind. The stand I sat today is new and I found out it’s the opposite. It was a north wind so I sat on the south side of the plot and got winded 3 times. I’m starting to realize that in that valley the wind is backward

When I used to fish lakes in the dacks a lot the wind would push you one way then halfway down the lake it would go the other way. Comes off those mountains and swirls the opposite way.

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Might have hit the opposite shoulder too.  Good luck

Hmm good insight. So the arrow looks like there is a good 8-9 inches of penetration. Not a lot of blood. Tracked about 200-300 yards, and then I was literally on my hands and knees looking for single drops. Gonna get my neighbor's dog to help. 

Hmm good insight. So the arrow looks like there is a good 8-9 inches of penetration. Not a lot of blood. Tracked about 200-300 yards, and then I was literally on my hands and knees looking for single drops. Gonna get my neighbor's dog to help. 

Call Luna & Kunox!

• Like 1

Hock, it was easier when I worked nights at the FD and got up at 1, 2, 4, 5 am grabbed a few hours of mixed up sleep a night , and ran all day ....

Now sleeping normal hours it’s harder to get up .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Buck?
Doe?
Not the piebald?
Congrats

Small buck but bob told me first adult deer would be shot.  Then he passed the piebald.   So no. 2 got it.   He is 100% with the curve!

• Like 8