LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

I went to a buddies stand this morning,across the road from a hay field. I snuck in and couldn't find the stand. I was close,but couldn't find it. So i was just standing by a tree,not great cover. A little after seven some does catch me move or smell me,run and snort. About 10 mins later i hear what i think is a deer coughing. I am just about 80 yds in the woods from the dirt road,and then I see a buck coming from the edge of the road. He was a six and following those does i think. He never got closer than 50 yds,but as i watched him i saw my buddies stand,and if i was in it i could have shot the six. Bad luck.

A little later i see another deer close to the road,turns out another buck. This one was a decent 8,2 1/2 year old i think. Long body but not filled out yet. I think him and the other buck were scent checking the does trails from the hay field. He was going parallel with the road but then turned into the woods.He also didn't get closer than maybe 45 yds. He wandered off. If i had been 20 yds to the left or the right i could have shot one of them,preferably the 8,haha. 

Nice to see some bucks on their feet though. I am having a lot of deer sightings in this early season,just have to connect with one.

• Like 2

Well I did something I don’t normally do last night. Nice 8 pointer I’ve been watching came out at 6pm and gave me a perfect broadside shot at what I thought was 40 yards. Range finder worked fine Tuesday morning but wouldn’t work yesterday. It’s got a newer battery so idk what’s wrong. Needless to say I misjudged the range and sent a arrow 6 inches over his back. He didn’t spook but started slowly walking towards the 5 does in the field that were even farther away. Without a sure range I was comfy sending any more arrows at him so I had to sit there and watch him parade around for 20 mins before he disappeared back into the timber. My god was I pissed off last night. Hence why I couldn’t write this till this morning lol

Good thing is he wasn’t spooked. He nor the foes heard a thing or had a clue anything happened. So I’m gonna get the range finder figured out before my next hunt Monday night and hope he comes back!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Well I did something I don’t normally do last night. Nice 8 pointer I’ve been watching came out at 6pm and gave me a perfect broadside shot at what I thought was 40 yards. Range finder worked fine Tuesday morning but wouldn’t work yesterday. It’s got a newer battery so idk what’s wrong. Needless to say I misjudged the range and sent a arrow 6 inches over his back. He didn’t spook but started slowly walking towards the 5 does in the field that were even farther away. Without a sure range I was comfy sending any more arrows at him so I had to sit there and watch him parade around for 20 mins before he disappeared back into the timber. My god was I pissed off last night. Hence why I couldn’t write this till this morning lol

Good thing is he wasn’t spooked. He nor the foes heard a thing or had a clue anything happened. So I’m gonna get the range finder figured out before my next hunt Monday night and hope he comes back!

You will see him again.  I usually misjudge short no long but I think fields make deer appear farther way.  

You will see him again.  I usually misjudge short no long but I think fields make deer appear farther way.  

Ya I’m sure he will come back. He’s a regular around here. I’m usually pretty good at judging distance but I guess I was a little off my game yesterday lol. But ya I agree fields make it harder. For some reason I’ve always judge yardage better up in a tree than I do on the ground in a blind. O well, just another one of those things that make hunting such a fun challenge.

Snapped a couple pics of him quick before he walked off
94a6d8858b4a17b2b52eca434b988c53.jpg
6ca9e1780d4737fc33a65964e610b537.jpg
  • Like 3

I had another lone doe come through out of range and not quite the XL i was hoping for. 15 minutes later i hear a snap thud and my buddy shot a differnt doe. Spined it and then finished with a neck shot. He said she became real spooky when he drew back and he shit too quick feeling she may bolt. Not an ideal placement but good eats in the end
ffac9a5a52b8ab68a4650333683dcc72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 10

I gut shot a beauty of a buck at 8:30. I am literally sick over it. Going to give it one more hour then see what I can find. No blood on the ground at the shot so this isnt going to be easy. He was slightly quartering to and spun at the release. Rookie mistake. Arrow looks nasty.c3833445999c403c3e1a210997b24c98.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I gut shot a beauty of a buck at 8:30. I am literally sick over it. Going to give it one more hour then see what I can find. No blood on the ground at the shot so this isnt going to be easy. He was slightly quartering to and spun at the release. Rookie mistake. Arrow looks nasty.c3833445999c403c3e1a210997b24c98.jpg&key=d304b6b660be821e6b914a765039c5535871b1153f60c5916c8e4e6544996113

O ya that’s a gut shot if I’ve ever seen one. Don’t even bother starting to look until tonight after dark. I’d give him 10-12 hours to expire if you can.
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Don_C said:

I gut shot a beauty of a buck at 8:30. I am literally sick over it. Going to give it one more hour then see what I can find. No blood on the ground at the shot so this isnt going to be easy. He was slightly quartering to and spun at the release. Rookie mistake. Arrow looks nasty.c3833445999c403c3e1a210997b24c98.jpg

Good luck! I know the feeling of not making a shot I think I should have, hope you find him

8 minutes ago, Don_C said:

May want to call for a dog now.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Don_C said:

Dogs are good at tracking gut shot deer.  You might check with deer search and let him expire in first bed.   I think handlers hate when we muck up track.  Maybe tomorrow morning.   

• Like 2