LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

38 minutes ago, Don_C said:

I gut shot a beauty of a buck at 8:30. I am literally sick over it. Going to give it one more hour then see what I can find. No blood on the ground at the shot so this isnt going to be easy. He was slightly quartering to and spun at the release. Rookie mistake. Arrow looks nasty.c3833445999c403c3e1a210997b24c98.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id give that deer a solid minimum 4-5 hours and look for it with 2- 3 hours of light left in day. Let it lay and expire and then look. If you push it too soon you will just jump it. It's prob laying down somewhere right now.  

Hope u walk out and find it but I would give it a good wait esp since it was an am shot and you have lots of light yet.

Good luck

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Great first morning in the woods. I was in the stand by 6:30 by 8:30 I had seen 11 does. 8 small and 3 big all out of range. Started to pack up at 11 and just as the bow goes down the line 2 more deer come out of no where. I managed to get the bow back up in time but neither presented a close enough shot. Time for some lunch and maybe a nap. Back at it again in a few hours.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Id give that deer a solid minimum 4-5 hours and look for it with 2- 3 hours of light left in day. Let it lay and expire and then look. If you push it too soon you will just jump it. It's prob laying down somewhere right now.  

Hope u walk out and find it but I would give it a good wait esp since it was an am shot and you have lots of light yet.

Good luck

Honestly Rob, I don’t think that’s enough time.   I shot a doe my first season in a pm hunt.  Found pieces of intestine while tracking (rage).  She was hurting.     Let her sit overnight and busted her out of bed the next morning at 8am.   Never found her even with deer search.   I would want to be sure he is dead before taking up any trail.  Just my experience. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Honestly Rob, I don’t think that’s enough time.   I shot a doe my first season in a pm hunt.  Found pieces of intestine while tracking (rage).  She was hurting.     Let her sit overnight and busted her out of bed the next morning at 8am.   Never found her even with deer search.   I would want to be sure he is dead before taking up any trail.  Just my experience. 

Agreed.  Factor in the potential for rain in your area and coyote problems.  But other than that my experience is the longer you can wait ( 8-10 hours perhaps) the better with gutshot deer.  Maybe a different answer with a gun and snow on the ground.

54 minutes ago, Don_C said:

I gut shot a beauty of a buck at 8:30. I am literally sick over it. Going to give it one more hour then see what I can find. No blood on the ground at the shot so this isnt going to be easy. He was slightly quartering to and spun at the release. Rookie mistake. Arrow looks nasty.c3833445999c403c3e1a210997b24c98.jpg

Where in WNY are you ? And is that your dog in avatar? Gut  shot deer will stink and leave a good  trail for a dog , your dog might be an asset if Dog Search can’t make it  , yes I know NYS. Says licensed tracking dogs only .

Mine has done very well . Here’s two he found ,pretty easily .

23636A15-A9FC-489E-8410-3A6F24F3C4E1.jpeg

86194079-304A-4FAD-8D23-64FDD1444B8D.jpeg

• Like 4

Covered in deer all morning in 5H...nephew passed a wide 6....at 9:30 at huge doe worked through a turnip field to me...stopped her at 22...released...and my arrow explodes. Blew pieces all over the place...then my left hand/wrists goes numb and burning...thought it was broken. Must be a big piece of  arrow got through and cut my wrist snd badly bruised the pad and left thumb joint. Scared the death out of me. Took 5 minutes to get my glove off it hurt so bad.  Shooting Fire and Ice arrows (expensive bastards) which are a woven carbon arrow. Have shot them for 3 years.  Now I am gun-shy to ever shoot them again. Kind of gun shy to shoot sn arrow again right now. The sound of the arrow pieces blowing into the trees was freaky. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, GreenDrake said:

Covered in deer all morning in 5H...nephew passed a wide 6....at 9:30 at huge doe worked through a turnip field to me...stopped her at 22...released...and my arrow explodes. Blew pieces all over the place...then my left hand/wrists goes numb and burning...thought it was broken. Must be a big piece of  arrow got through and cut my wrist snd badly bruised the pad and left thumb joint. Scared the death out of me. Took 5 minutes to get my glove off it hurt so bad.  Shooting Fire and Ice arrows (expensive bastards) which are a woven carbon arrow. Have shot them for 3 years.  Now I am gun-shy to ever shoot them again. Kind of gun shy to shoot sn arrow again right now. The sound of the arrow pieces blowing into the trees was freaky. 

Sorry to hear that.  Glad it wasn’t worse.  Heal up and I took would be a bit nervous with those arrows

Ouch! That’s a scary situation for sure! A good friend of mine had a arrow explode on him just like that resulting in surgery to remove tons of carbon shards. His hand was severely messed up. I’d get that looked at ASAP in case they need to go in and pull out pieces you can’t see on the outside or you might have some big issues later on.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I tend to agree on that. He said he was gonna wait an hour. Was thinking that too to wait 10 hrs but then it's dark and would be overnight. But where I hunt the yotes would have it by then. So I would make at least a shot at it with 2 hrs of light left. Lots of bino work to see if I could spot it from distance. A gut shot deer left for 24 hours here is coyote feed as much as I agree on this with you. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Good morning today. In my stand i hung friday by 550.  By 710 brother texted me said i had 2 big bodies moving my way.  They ended up crossing the road.  About 10 mins later i had 3 huge does and a fawn walk just put of range at 40yrds.  That was it for me brother did have 1 race past him about 9oclock but no idea what it was.  Buddy took a good doe and saw a huge 8,other one saw 2 little fawns.(they were on different properties)

Congrats to those who got one.

Edited by Swamp_bucks

Where in WNY are you ? And is that your dog in avatar? Gut  shot deer will stink and leave a good  trail for a dog , your dog might be an asset if Dog Search can’t make it  , yes I know NYS. Says licensed tracking dogs only .
Mine has done very well . Here’s two he found ,pretty easily .
23636A15-A9FC-489E-8410-3A6F24F3C4E1.thumb.jpeg.892dd5ab953add4fab8086e5320123d9.jpeg
86194079-304A-4FAD-8D23-64FDD1444B8D.thumb.jpeg.250955a746249d9f93acc7d6ef76e2b7.jpeg

Im in Chautauqua county. I slowly crawled looking for any sign. About 80 yards of this. Im waiting until morning. Called deer search, we’ll see. My dog is a Weimaraner, great trackers, just not this one!7826d496825d5061b13df7d8081b1080.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I tend to agree on that. He said he was gonna wait an hour. Was thinking that too to wait 10 hrs but then it's dark and would be overnight. But where I hunt the yotes would have it by then. So I would make at least a shot at it with 2 hrs of light left. Lots of bino work to see if I could spot it from distance. A gut shot deer left for 24 hours here is coyote feed as much as I agree on this with you. 

Sure is a risk with the yotes. Tough decision,a gutshot deer can take 24 hrs to expire and go a long way if bumped. A dog could track it well enough,but so do the coyotes.

Good luck however you decide.

37 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Sure is a risk with the yotes. Tough decision,a gutshot deer can take 24 hrs to expire and go a long way if bumped. A dog could track it well enough,but so do the coyotes.

Good luck however you decide.

Hope he finds it. Yeah I would go before dark and glass and hope I spot it and if still alive make a play on it for another shot. Yotes are bad around here. If shot I the evening I would def wait overnight, no other choice. 

Good luck Don. Hope to see you with it in a pic

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Pm sit have decided to go to "big buck "stand in 6S. Was gonna save it for later in season and hunt a spot in 7J , but can't pass it up.  3 sits in it last year and 3 tags filled on an East wind.  So gonna go for it early. Don't expect that streak this season but it's a good spot.

My buddy Corey @FISHDO went last night and dropped his bow and broke his sight. So he's got a replacement and resighting back in. I keep telling him he is never gonna get approved if he keeps pulling these hijinks!  

I think he should get approved for the entertainment value alone. Lol 

• Like 2

Had a morning to remember. 25 to 30 different deer. Was tempted by a decent 8 pt, but passed. Had a giant 10 with trash at 35, but no shot. And bunches of flat heads outside the ground blind.

20191005_092351.thumb.jpg.a252a030887bf8a4d25190731ed4ea24.jpg20191005_092115.thumb.jpg.6b784eef9b93e9d5ab152120548477bf.jpg20191005_090658.thumb.jpg.9ba734e407f9694fb6df22e1dd2d4bfb.jpgGuess where my grandson will be next weekend? 

Best sit I've had in many years. Also had three huge gobblers at five yards to start the show after first light.

Decided to let them all walk on the first morning. Will leave this spot clean for my grandson.

• Like 22