LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

11 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

In my defense the driveway is nearly half a mile long. So it's "semi natural" habitat

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

serious question. in the dark, can you hear deer "clicking" as they walk across the driveway? An old timer on stateland who hunted near a road on stateland told me he used to listen for this.

serious question. in the dark, can you hear deer "clicking" as they walk across the driveway? An old timer on stateland who hunted near a road on stateland told me he used to listen for this.
Sometimes can hear them sometimes their hooves are too soft. Usually after I shoot em and they run across the driveway to get to the other thick woods I can sometimes hear them stomping across. But then they usually make it only a quarter way up the funnel and then flop over after getting jelly legs and then die obviously

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Took a break from the woods, to meet up with UpStateRedNeck for coffee and a snack yesterday. In East Berne.

We talked hunting and outdoors stuff for quite awhile. A very knowledgeable, and good guy! I look forward to our next meet up Paul!20191014_123000.thumb.jpg.5ae12e2e248ae7798a0cbe79e009871e.jpg

• Like 21

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I like taking videos/pics. I shot my last doe in 2001, unless a piebald walks by.

I think you would be amazed at how much better your hunting will get and the behavior of the bucks in your area if you start taking some doe and getting things in balance...    Any property where does are not being managed will be significantly out of balance despite what cameras tell you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, t_barb said:

I think you would be amazed at how much better your hunting will get and the behavior of the bucks in your area if you start taking some doe and getting things in balance...    Any property where does are not being managed will be significantly out of balance despite what cameras tell you.

The buck/doe ratio is fine. Many other people kill does all the time in the areas i hunt. I wish i saw more doe, it would mean I am seeing more deer.

Take a look at deer per sq mile in 3N vs WNY where it appears you hunt. Very big difference. in 2018, 1.9 bucks were killed per sq mile and only 1.2 does. Which is in line with what i typically see. when i see a deer it's usually a 50/50 chance it's a buck or doe.

Not sure where you hunt, but say its 9H? 4.1 bucks, and 5.7 does. Massive differnce. 9.8 overall vs. 3.1, so 3 times the amount of deer.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

24 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

The buck/doe ratio is fine. Many other people kill does all the time in the areas i hunt. I wish i saw more doe, it would mean I am seeing more deer.

Take a look at deer per sq mile in 3N vs WNY where it appears you hunt. Very big difference. in 2018, 1.9 bucks were killed per sq mile and only 1.2 does. Which is in line with what i typically see. when i see a deer it's usually a 50/50 chance it's a buck or doe.

Not sure where you hunt, but say its 9H? 4.1 bucks, and 5.7 does. Massive differnce. 9.8 overall vs. 3.1, so 3 times the amount of deer.

Probably not the whole story as I bet wny has more hunters per sq mile too.   But I don’t doubt deer density is higher here

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Probably not the whole story as I bet wny has more hunters per sq mile too.   But I don’t doubt deer density is higher here

that'd be interesting numbers to see. hunting out in WNY vs here i don't notice any difference. seems like there's plenty hunters per sq mile out here in the east too. it is what it is. i took my doe in a brown it's down war zone as to save opportunity on the farm for others. we only take so many doe otherwise we wouldn't see anything. 

4 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

that'd be interesting numbers to see. hunting out in WNY vs here i don't notice any difference. seems like there's plenty hunters per sq mile out here in the east too. it is what it is. i took my doe in a brown it's down war zone as to save opportunity on the farm for others. we only take so many doe otherwise we wouldn't see anything. 

Yea, the public lands gets pummeled by us. It's not uncommon to have 10 cars parked during gun season on 100 acres of stateland hunting. I remember hunting PA stateland 300,000 acres and not seeing another person for 5 straight days.

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Is this live from the blind or dipshits from the desk thread?

:taunt:

Not exactly "Live", as I haven't used my phone/Tapa talk to log into any site since last April.

Let an OK 6 pass this morning. I can't burn my bow tag down here, I need it next week up north.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yea, the public lands gets pummeled by us. It's not uncommon to have 10 cars parked during gun season on 100 acres of stateland hunting. I remember hunting PA stateland 300,000 acres and not seeing another person for 5 straight days.

private land isn't much different in places. we've got neighbors stands we see close to borders. last buck i took it almost in the barnyard as i actually left that side of a 330+ acre farm because every direction i saw orange. lol

It used to be like that here. I don’t know what changed but it’s been a good five years or so since I’ve seen crowded state lands on opening day. That land across from the chalet for example, the parking lot would be full. Past few years there’s been one maybe two vehicles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro