LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

Well made it out tonight, only second time, and finally I have something  to contribute to this thread. 
lower right of photo is a scrape that was not there last weekend and upper left is the ground blind we set up in August . 20 yards away, a camera will be going on the scrape tomorrow. 
oh and no deer seen tonight. 

FD8AC9B1-3583-47D7-9F22-B3BB94AE5142.jpeg

Edited by rob-c

Decided to take advantage of the wet and try my hand at stalking. After 45 minutes of step, step stop, I saw a deer about 40 yards away through the dense brush. I started to parallel her movement when I picked up another larger doe behind her. She raised up and eyed me straight off. I froze midstep and we began what seemed like a 20 minute staring contest. There was a large black cherry between us and when she finally turned I sidestepped and put the tree between our sight lines. Took a breath. Unfortunately, there were a lot of small trees between me and the cherry so I couldn’t inch straight toward it. After five minutes I tried to go ever so slightly around a sapling and she blew and took off. 
Best day ever. 

NOTHING like being on the ground. Awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went for my stillhunt this afternoon. About 30 mins in i spotted a doe below me at the tiny creek flats. She disappeared after she took 3 steps. She was maybe 50 yds,i didn't feel like going after her.

I kept moving along the side of the ridge about a third of the way from the top. The wind was kinda swirly,not helpful. I thought I heard antlers clashing in the bottom,but couldn't be sure,never heard that before. I went through thick beech stuff and a bunch of blowdowns. Looked like good bedding. There also were a few trails through it,some with fresh tracks. As it was getting close to dusk I heard crashing and wing flapping in the treetops. Turkeys roosting i guess. Just before dark i heard another sound,not sure what it was. Shortly after two raccoons ambled past,i spooked them when i tried to get my phone out.

Then i started to walk out and almost right away found a single bed where i thought a buck might bed. It looked pretty fresh, the leaves were compressed. I think he/she must have caught my scent when the wind swirled. 

I probably should have sneaked along that ridge from south to north instead of the other way around. That ridge turns a west wind into a south wind. 

Oh well,learned a thing or two,back at it in the morning. I will try a stand in a bottom where a few draws drop in behind a pond. Not a productive stand,yet.

• Like 2

Getting ready to head out for a nice morning sit. Figure it should take me nearly 12 hours to get to my stand so better off getting an early start especially when I'm after this guy...IMAG0069.jpg.cd1d7ac644483e135b9dea3b52c33637.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sweet 10

• Like 1

Sweet 10

That's what I figured he'd have to be. Can't see his brows but I've got at least 2 like him running around..now I just need the perfect wind so my giant bush can bring death to him

First time sitting the swamp stand on my private lot this year and first time ever hunting with a xbow. Hoping for some good luck. Good luck to all those out.8e303098796716bd2902b02c7655b4dd.jpg&key=c1542bc81290904ef7b27d7b5e32f2d4d69bd851a6ca886064a197222ee66a5f

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

How deep is that water. Do they go through there much

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

That an extra beam?   What a stud.  Hope you get your chance. 

I’m not sure exactly what to call it haha. It’s something between a split brow tine and a kicker off the brow. He’s had it each of the last three years, here’s a better picture of what it looked like in 2017. Surprisingly this is a small but pretty far out of the way and unknown piece of public. There’s some other hunters but I don’t believe any know he’s around. I’ve had him within 50 yards each of the last two seasons just haven’t been able to seal the deal so hopefully my third season chasing is the charm

a0683561740bbb99ebeb2f256f9509f9.jpg

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

I’m not sure exactly what to call it haha. It’s something between a split brow tine and a kicker off the brow. He’s had it each of the last three years, here’s a better picture of what it looked like in 2017. Surprisingly this is a small but pretty far out of the way and unknown piece of public. There’s some other hunters but I don’t believe any know he’s around. I’ve had him within 50 yards each of the last two seasons just haven’t been able to seal the deal so hopefully my third season chasing is the charm emoji1696.png

a0683561740bbb99ebeb2f256f9509f9.jpg

Wowzer,good luck with catching up with him. What a stud,especially now.

Love to see your posts again.

• Like 1

That's what I figured he'd have to be. Can't see his brows but I've got at least 2 like him running around..now I just need the perfect wind so my giant bush can bring death to him

What wind do you need? How do you where he is going or coming from?

Wowzer,good luck with catching up with him. What a stud,especially now.
Love to see your posts again.

Thanks! Glad to be back. Work has been crazy so I haven’t got out much yet but looking forward to participating here more. I’ve got a really good inventory of shooters on my leases but this buck is my #1 target. He’s done nothing but frustrate me for three years. My buddy’s keep telling me to focus on my leases but I love the challenge of public land and this buck in particular given our history. It’s a great problem to have, just gotta figure out where to prioritize my time. Here’s some of the shooters on my leases

7ac0aa248017ecd3c38451a14e1d72bb.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks! Glad to be back. Work has been crazy so I haven’t got out much yet but looking forward to participating here more. I’ve got a really good inventory of shooters on my leases but this buck is my #1 target. He’s done nothing but frustrate me for three years. My buddy’s keep telling me to focus on my leases but I love the challenge of public land and this buck in particular given our history. It’s a great problem to have, just gotta figure out where to prioritize my time. Here’s some of the shooters on my leases

7ac0aa248017ecd3c38451a14e1d72bb.jpg&key=7d4814fd8d260cdf042aa330cd671eb72b8b570d8d353c7459eef00fd79e8073

That deer on the top right is wowza.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TheHornHunter said:

7ac0aa248017ecd3c38451a14e1d72bb.jpg

You are so right,good problems to have. I didn't set out any cams this year so i am going in blind. The hilltops i hunt dont have a selection of bucks like you guys have in your area,but there usually is one bruiser around. Maybe more,i dont seem to catch up with them. 

I am going to give some stateland a try here as well. It starts on the Susquehanna river and goes up the whole ridge adjacent to it. There should be some good bucks on that...

• Like 1

What wind do you need? How do you where he is going or coming from?

I'm fairly certain he lives about 100 yards to his ass end there's big prickers that they live in the middle of. I think I want a wind blowing to the camera so I can sneak in and not blow my scent all into the path he comes from. He's a biggun for sure. Think I'm gonna still hold off on my secret evercalm vs2 until maybe one more week. Don't want to use it too early and then I'm stuck educating that bastard

• Like 1