LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

Well this is not from the woods !  Its from my driveway , car hit it and broke its legs , I'm too close to other houses so my wife called the town cop ... he came shot it and gave me a tag and I dropped it off at my butcher (after I gut it ) !

RoadKill.thumb.jpg.a1c67ac2466fa52390839655a2fdb2d9.jpg
Poor thing. Well got free fresh meats so that's always good

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Not to mention the summit viper has been consistently number 1 in all of the reviews for years. LW is heavier, less comfortable, more expensive. Only thing it has going in its favor is it packs flat

I don’t know how/why any of you guys are still using climbers? My saddle and 6 screw in steps get me 20ish ft in the air in less than a few minutes completely silent and weighs under 4lbs combined. If I was going to use it on state land I would use my climbing sticks and do the same thing maybe even faster but they aren’t as easy to carry as the screw in steps, although way better than a clover.

Climbers are archaic, I probably have 1500$ in climbers out in the barn and I will never touch another one again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I don’t know how/why any of you guys are still using climbers? My saddle and 6 screw in steps get me 20ish ft in the air in less than a few minutes completely silent and weighs under 4lbs combined. If I was going to use it on state land I would use my climbing sticks and do the same thing maybe even faster but they aren’t as easy to carry as the screw in steps, although way better than a clover.

Climbers are archaic, I probably have 1500$ in climbers out in the barn and I will never touch another one again.

Idk I like to be able to hang stuff from my climber. Can you do the same with a saddle setup? I ask because I honestly have no idea as these saddle things are pretty new

Right on Biz!!!
It's us "real" hunters, that hunt from the ground!!!....................:pleasantry:
I have a Summit Viper that has not seen use in years. Very comfortable, and easy to use. The added straps make it easy to pack in too. Thought about selling it, but will save it for my grandson, who will be old enough next year to use it.

Bought my Summit Viper 19 years ago and just replaced the cables on it this year. I love that thing but I hate lugging it around. Even though it’s light walking a mile or more with it strapped to your back sucks. Have tried a few other brands that friends have but none compare. Never tried a LW though

Started raining so I came in. Sat in two different area didn’t see anything. I think it’s this East wind. I’m going to start keeping track of it. I gave that log book crap up a few years a go,but maybe it’s worth trying it up here.

People who have so many issues with climbers must be doing something wrong. My 2 vipers pack up in less than 2 minutes, it nests tight, no noise, the seat is like a recliner in a tree. I bought the summit backpack straps and added a third hand bowholder. My pack straps to the nested climber and a carabiner attaches the backpack straps. I love my summits. They aren't as light as some other options but I can stay comfortable dark to dark. I'll take a bit of extra weight rather than sacrifice comfort with a saddle or hang on stand.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Curious how you get 20 feet up a tree with 6 screw In steps.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Most forum members have a 42" vertical leap. so the first step is 42". Then you take it easy with 36" between steps, so all in you are 18.5 feet (222") with 6 steps. The final move is a simple 18" step onto the platform. Hence, 6 steps = 20 feet. Maybe you didn't play in NFL or NBA?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bhunterED said:

Yes at Sweeneys you can take the whole deer.

How long you been out of the Forks? I've lived there for the last 14 years. I'm sure we probably know some of the same people.    

I’ve been out 7-8 years but have family there and nieces and nephews in school.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Ok so who here uses a heated vest and what is the best one out there? I'm tired of freezing to death and it isn't even cold out yet

I haven't popped on a heated vest yet, but I did buy a Summit heated seat pad...used it once already on a brisk morning and it helped.  I bet a heated/hoodie under your hunting coat would be much better, but so far the seat cushion does the trick...gets pretty toasty on high.  Medium was just right, and low heat I couldn't really tell.

• Like 1

I haven't popped on a heated vest yet, but I did buy a Summit heated seat pad...used it once already on a brisk morning and it helped.  I bet a heated/hoodie under your hunting coat would be much better, but so far the seat cushion does the trick...gets pretty toasty on high.  Medium was just right, and low heat I couldn't really tell.
May have to look into this

Was this the LW climber or the hang on? I got a LW hang on and stick combo last season and it has all but replaced the tree walker climber I used for the previous few seasons (unless I'm going to be a oak flat where the trees are straight). I love the tree walker and it's more comfortable than the LW.... but the LW hang on gets me into trees I would never even dream about getting a climber into and that offer way more cover. Sometimes I felt like I spent more time hunting for a tree with my climber than actual hunting, but maybe that's a function of where I hunt. Next year I'm going to try the saddle for the long 1+ mile hikes.

Sit and climb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8 minutes ago, Hock3y24 said:

I’ve been out 7-8 years but have family there and nieces and nephews in school.

Where abouts did you live? I'm just off River and Kattelville Rd's. I've got a son that's a senior daughter in 10'th and a son in 7'th. I coached youth football and wrestling for a while also when my oldest was younger.

Idk I like to be able to hang stuff from my climber. Can you do the same with a saddle setup? I ask because I honestly have no idea as these saddle things are pretty new

Don’t know what you hang off your stand but my bow holder goes over my head I don’t wear a backpack my fanny pack goes around tree when I get up. My saddle has a drop pouch pocket for what ever else I might have that isn’t around my neck “grunt tube, binos if I bring them.”

I’ve had my saddle for 5 or 6 years and haven’t put a new stand up since other than ladder stands. For now hunting I climb up the ladder and tie in with my saddle and just put my feet on the seat, I often do the same thing with hangons I have. My saddle is more comfortable than any tree stand I’ve ever sat in!

Little over 6ft tall and screw next step waste high I’m not that flexible but when you use a saddle you strap to the tree with a lineman’s belt around tree so it’s easy to get feet that high for next step. . Just measured and my belts about about 42” high which puts my feet at about 20’ to the top step.

• Like 1