LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

13 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

They sort of don’t. We should start a thread it’s a cool topic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

there absolutely is a no kill zone though. every deer target and text book illustrates it and countless hunters have experienced, otherwise it wouldn't matter how high the shot was. spine or lung would be lethal and it's just not the case. And to the pic that was posted, that appeared to be a fawn. Obviously the older and bigger the deer, the larger the gap.

spacer.png

Edited by Belo

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

there absolutely is a no kill zone though. every deer target and text book illustrates it and countless hunters have experienced, otherwise it wouldn't matter how high the shot was. spine or lung would be lethal and it's just not the case. And to the pic that was posted, that appeared to be a fawn. Obviously the older and bigger the deer, the larger the gap.

spacer.png

There are a million threads on Bowsite, AT, etc about this and many have had thoracic surgeons chime in, its pretty fascinating. But the gist of it is "Yes lungs are somewhat free floating, however the chest is a vacuum system, isolated by the diaphram. You don't have to even hit the lungs to kill a deer, ruin this vacuum and the deer can't breath, the lungs won't fill with air, the chest cavity will."

If you hit below the spine that vacuum is gone and the lungs cant operate, the deer dies. The "void" is above the spine and its way more area than most anatomy illustrations show

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

There are a million threads on Bowsite, AT, etc about this and many have had thoracic surgeons chime in, its pretty fascinating. But the gist of it is "Yes lungs are somewhat free floating, however the chest is a vacuum system, isolated by the diaphram. You don't have to even hit the lungs to kill a deer, ruin this vacuum and the deer can't breath, the lungs won't fill with air, the chest cavity will."

If you hit below the spine that vacuum is gone and the lungs cant operate, the deer dies. The "void" is above the spine and its way more area than most anatomy illustrations show

Yep... not to mention that high shots from a treestand may result in a single lung hit.  Deer can go unbelievably far on a one lung hit.  Often times with little or no blood.  Unfortunately... those are lethal hits. 

Maybe the difference is just whether or not you can recover the deer when hitting that spot. I could see it with an arrow maybe but with how much trauma a rifle bullet causes it's hard for me to understand how a deer could survive it even without hitting the lung directly.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, johnplav said:

Yep... not to mention that high shots from a treestand may result in a single lung hit.  Deer can go unbelievably far on a one lung hit.  Often times with little or no blood.  Unfortunately... those are lethal hits. 

My buck was one lung and there was about zero blood trail. I gave him 5 hours and we found him dead in his bed. There wasnt even blood there, nor in his nose/mouth

• Like 4

4 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

yeah idk. i guess we've both said our part. I don't recall ever seeing a void between the spine and hide when skinning the deer and know plenty of deer that have survived a single lung wound. I guess this is just another one of those controversial topics.

but i will agree with you, it's fascinating :)

3 hours ago, johnplav said:

not necessarily. a good mature healthy buck could survive a single lunger. still unlikely and almost certain to be a difficult to impossible recovery. but possible.

https://www.bowhuntingmag.com/editorial/tactics_bh_whitetail_0409/310895