LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

9 minutes ago, bigpaul said:

I scraped this mornings hunt with the strong winds. I'll check cams at some point. Nothing but deer hunting for the next 11 days. 

Jealous.  After today, deer season is closed for 2 weeks in Vermont.  (Except for 2 days of youth)  My least favorite time of the year.  The rut ramping up while the state has us sitting on our thumbs.  Guess that will change next year though.

Edited by stubborn1VT

Woke up to no power this morning. Got the generator going and plugged in the essentials. Power came back about an hour later. Looked through cameras, no movement since last night around 11 pm. I think I’ll be sitting this one out today. Gonna shoot the crossbow a bit and put the compound away today. I’ll see how things look for the evening sit, but I think That’s a wrap for the vertical bow for this year. 

• Like 1

... been following the posts RE: wind today so in the for what it's worth department, I researched  deer movement a while ago and wind was 3rd highest factor after temperature and cloudiness... I pasted the following into my notes... I stayed home thinking I didn't want to shoot with a 40 mile an hour crosswind.. crossbow may be a different story

from https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/blogs/cuzs-corner/20-years-of-deer-research-on-deer-movement

"The third factor impacting deer movement has surprised all of us associated with the study. Wind velocity plays a major role in whether deer move or don’t move. I expected to see a bell-shaped curve relationship with wind speed. I thought a calm day with no wind wouldn’t be good for causing deer movement. I assumed really strong winds with possible wind speeds of 30 to 40 mph wouldn’t be good days to hunt. I initially thought that wind speeds of 12 to 15 miles per hour would be the best days to hunt. But in our statistics, we’ve seen a linear relationship. In other words, the harder and the faster the wind blows, the more deer sightings and deer kills we recorded during that 20 years.” 

• Like 1

Should be a great hunting weekend!!!  Cooler temps, and the bucks should be seeking and chasing.

I'll be hunting the next three days. Just trying to figure the best setup for a south wind??? Don't have many for that wind, AND early November rut funnels. Thinking the lake property. I'll just turn around in the blind and hunt the other way. They will run that ridge in from all directions. but mainly N & S.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Unit8R said:

... been following the posts RE: wind today so in the for what it's worth department, I researched  deer movement a while ago and wind was 3rd highest factor after temperature and cloudiness... I pasted the following into my notes... I stayed home thinking I didn't want to shoot with a 40 mile an hour crosswind.. crossbow may be a different story

from https://www.mossyoak.com/our-obsession/blogs/cuzs-corner/20-years-of-deer-research-on-deer-movement

"The third factor impacting deer movement has surprised all of us associated with the study. Wind velocity plays a major role in whether deer move or don’t move. I expected to see a bell-shaped curve relationship with wind speed. I thought a calm day with no wind wouldn’t be good for causing deer movement. I assumed really strong winds with possible wind speeds of 30 to 40 mph wouldn’t be good days to hunt. I initially thought that wind speeds of 12 to 15 miles per hour would be the best days to hunt. But in our statistics, we’ve seen a linear relationship. In other words, the harder and the faster the wind blows, the more deer sightings and deer kills we recorded during that 20 years.” 

LOL if you survive the falling limbs and trees!! I've had two come down just off the yard.

Interesting read though. 

• Like 1

Daughter from  Buffalo coming home, I’m supposed to take her car in for routine maintenance Sat. Morning while she’s at the dentist , wanted to skip euchre Sat night as that kills sat afternoon hunt and Sun. Morning . Now wife wants us to go play !

Hoping to get wife to bring car in, so I can at least get out in the morning , but she says I’ll be to tired at euchre .  I’m holding all nines and tens right now .....

Edited by Nomad
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Taylormike said:

Mind is on the gutter, I like that too.  But I actually meant his scent control, in his hunting clothes at a department store.  I'm not nutty with scent control but definitely have standards.  Mine are in duffel bags in the shed.

just my base layers. My outer layers never see the anything outside of the woods and my tote. I normally don't stop anywhere and def never for gas even in base layers and separate footwear, but I was just running in to pick up an online order that would save me valuable time later. I then hang all my inner layers and spray them.

I'm pretty anal about scent control.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Daughter from  Buffalo coming home, I’m supposed to take her car in for routine maintenance Sat. Morning while she’s at the dentist , wanted to skip euchre Sat night as that kills sat afternoon hunt and Sun. Morning . Now wife wants us to go play !

Hoping to get wife to bring car in, so I can at least get out in the morning , but she says I’ll be to tired at euchre .  I’m holding all nines and tens right now .....

Off Queen with those 9’s and 10’s? 
What’s trump again ? Who led ? 

• Haha 1