LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

16 hours ago, bhunterED said:

In 7S my buddy just shot a huge 8 that was bedded with a doe. He walked up to within 30 yards of him and he wouldn't get up. My buddy drew thinking that he would stand up but he just kept laying there so he let it fly. Says he hit high and near shoulder area. He followed blood for a ways and at last blood he said there are chunks of lung in it. I told him to back out as he probably one lunged him with the blood looking the way he described. The deer was headed down into a creek bottom he said you could see in the leaves where he was dragging his feet and stumbled a few times. After we are done with taking our kids trick or treating we're going to go look. I'm thinking he'll be dead in that creek bottom and hoping he didn't fall down and lay on his side the arrow with the lumenok is on.

good luck to him. tough call to make on shooting a bedded deer. we've had a few topics go many pages on this site on the subject. I wont throw stones, but it's a tough shot for sure. organs are much more compressed.

14 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

Taking some training in Rochester tomorrow. PAINED me to sign up for it, being Nov. 1st, but I'm off the next 2 weeks, so I guess I'll live...

you're not missing anything man. It's honestly a safety hazard even on the ground. with all the rain and soft ground you never know what's going to fall and when. 

and yeah the term safety hazard was intentional ;)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, grampy said:

Should be a great hunting weekend!!!  Cooler temps, and the bucks should be seeking and chasing.

I'll be hunting the next three days. Just trying to figure the best setup for a south wind??? Don't have many for that wind, AND early November rut funnels. Thinking the lake property. I'll just turn around in the blind and hunt the other way. They will run that ridge in from all directions. but mainly N & S.

Good luck Dave, if you need help dragging let me know. I will be out all weekend for sure too. Got some ideas for a good setup! Hope it pans out.

From the back window, I watched a young buck (maybe 2.5) walk his line, scent checking every now and again around 8:00 a.m. this morning.  He went about 50 yards and rubbed up a beech sapling.  It was aggressive, and fun to watch.

Edited by Rebel Darling
Clarification

Haven’t had power since 9 last night, thankfully the house is wired to just plug in the generator. My weather thing on my roof said gusts on 60’s with sustained around 25mph when I left the house this morning.

Saw 4 bucks and 7 does this morning. At 1 point the wind was blowing so hard it blew me away from the tree in my saddle. The deer are definitely on their feet if I didn’t have crap to do today to get ready for daughters birthday tonight I would be in the woods all day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I know not many are out today, so here's something to hold you guys over. My 2 oldest boys are obsessed with batman. So the wife and I dressed up last night. I made sure to research a good Harley Quinn costume for the mrs. It didn't come with tights, but she insisted that no tights wasn't appropriate around little children lol.

PDRG8272.thumb.JPG.f1aba308ff01126c361936e6a01417be.JPGRILV7886.thumb.JPG.aa67b7195a5eced9f2c60ea85c2c845e.JPG

• Like 16

Absolute madness in the woods. I’ve lost track of the number of bucks I’ve seen - definitely over ten. I’ve seen at least four 3+ year olds including two three year olds within forty and I passed but of course the older ones were further out. So much chasing. Pretty sure I have a hot doe here currently getting tended by one of the three year olds. I had a feeling the temp drop and high winds was going to put them on their feet

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

Absolute madness in the woods. I’ve lost track of the number of bucks I’ve seen - definitely over ten. I’ve seen at least four 3+ year olds including two three year olds within forty and I passed but of course the older ones were further out. So much chasing. Pretty sure I have a hot doe here currently getting tended by one of the three year olds. I had a feeling the temp drop and high winds was going to put them on their feet

You're not making being stuck indoors any easier!  Sweet update though, how am I supposed to get to sleep at 9 tonight now?!

• Like 2

Out this AM for a quick sit before work in 3G.  Wind was tough (gusting and swirling) but action is warming up.  Large button or lone doe walked through before legal.  Blind called using the estrus can.  Brought in a spike and fork that both got passes.  Had to leave after about an hour but hope to get out again tonight.

Good luck to all out there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I know not many are out today, so here's something to hold you guys over. My 2 oldest boys are obsessed with batman. So the wife and I dressed up last night. I made sure to research a good Harley Quinn costume for the mrs. It didn't come with tights, but she insisted that no tights wasn't appropriate around little children lol.

PDRG8272.thumb.JPG.f1aba308ff01126c361936e6a01417be.JPGRILV7886.thumb.JPG.aa67b7195a5eced9f2c60ea85c2c845e.JPG

Fantastic. My wife and I haven't dressed up in a few years. We were Indians, so that would probably be considered racists now.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

No halloween bucks killed by the forum today? This forum is gonna EXPLODE this weekend.

TOMORROW THROUGH MONDAY WILL BE PANDEMONIUM ON THIS FORUM! Expected to be the best weekend for hunting in NY since the Millard Fillmore administration.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, biggamefish said:

Good luck Dave, if you need help dragging let me know. I will be out all weekend for sure too. Got some ideas for a good setup! Hope it pans out.

Thanks Matt! I may take you up on that if things pan out over there? Good luck to you too my friend! I'll be in touch either way. Maybe we can meet for a quick coffee at some point?

• Like 1

Cruiser, too bad I wasn't in the tree this AM. 6 bucks on camera last night also. I think it's happening in 8F. Screenshot_20191101-084553.thumb.jpg.4184e0b7b98bcab9928b7b89febde06a.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

My cams in 8F are lighting up with day light action the last few days. I’ve been spending more time in 8H where I can confirm it is definitely on. May go out to 8F tonight

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Cruiser, too bad I wasn't in the tree this AM. 6 bucks on camera last night also. I think it's happening in 8F. Screenshot_20191101-084553.jpg

That's a donkey! Wind isn't had here at all now.  Good luck to those who are out. (But if you are out you're already pretty lucky in my book.)

• Like 1

My cams in 8F are lighting up with day light action the last few days. I’ve been spending more time in 8H where I can confirm it is definitely on. May go out to 8F tonight

Good to hear, the last week was pretty slow and the switch flipped the last couple of nights. I'm off for 18 days starting tomorrow, perfect timing!

• Like 1