LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

Gotta love this on your camera 150 yards from where your sitting when it's in the middle of your property. I try to be a nice neighbor and not plaster posted signs all over ever ones back yard but my inner a-hole is about ready to light up the neighborhood with yellow and orange posted signs!
Screenshot_20191102-180122.thumb.png.fada7d4001abb5abc8981416e4a0d0c7.png

Happened to me at my old place. Previous owner didn’t care. I put up signs but a little deeper into the line so it wasn’t in their yards (my line) and had 3 neighbors knocking on my door that week. 2 understood and I said use it all you’d like except after September. The 3rd was such a dick about it I kicked them off year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm loosing my mind lately, hopefully it gets better, made it all the way to stand, passed 3 scrapes on the way I. And jumped deer in 2 diff spots. Half way up stand I said to myself shit I forgot my release, grrrr.... I hope it gets better from here.

You are right, and I am not (I am a Genny guy).  We had a confirmation party for my daughter last weekend and my wife picked those up in case some of the beer snobs, from her side of the family, who were invited did not want Genny.   There were quite a few left and I got to get rid of them, to make room for more Genny in the beer fridge.  I got to admit they are pretty good, almost equal to Genny Octoberfest.
Rinella is right about the pepper on the "oysters".  I used plenty and they were very good.  I skipped the butter, which he recommends, and went with extra virgin olive oil instead, which I always use for my tenderloins .   The pepper is the key ingredient for sure.        

Genny sounds more like it haha! Congrats on the buck man

5 minutes ago, Belo said:

Genny sounds more like it haha! Congrats on the buck man

Thanks, and good luck to you today and the other three forum members, who still have their archery buck tags after yesterday's slaughter.   It is not often that I fill mine this early.  Maybe this year, for the first time in 38 seasons, I will see a larger antlered buck (and wish I still had a tag) while I am out there trying to fill doe tags.  I got thru yesterday afternoon's hunt with no more deer sightings.   I have (5) more archery hunts planned before gun season and (5) antlerless tags available.   Filling those at my place (where I got the buck yesterday) or over at my folk's place on the opposite corner of 9F, is extremely difficult, due to heavy pressure on them by farmers with nuisance permits  prior to October 1.   One more average sized deer will give us plenty of venison for the year, and the rest will get donated somewhere if I am so fortunate to get more chances.    

• Like 1

The number of times I have looked down at my hands or clothes and seen ticks crawling on me is insane. Yesterday my wife had one crawling on her in Target. Im sure it came from me but its just insane lately. Does anyone spray their hunting clothes with anything?  Im nervous because most of those sprays smell terrible.  With a 10 month old at home I have to be super careful. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ryanrobb52 said:

The number of times I have looked down at my hands or clothes and seen ticks crawling on me is insane. Yesterday my wife had one crawling on her in Target. Im sure it came from me but its just insane lately. Does anyone spray their hunting clothes with anything?  Im nervous because most of those sprays smell terrible.  With a 10 month old at home I have to be super careful. 

Permithrin.  Kills em on contact. Lasts a few weeks and washing’s. Wally World or tractor supply carries it.  No odor once applied. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ryanrobb52 said:

You should be using Coulson's Spray or Duracon products- they contain the main tick repellant -permithrin.  Deet ain't gonna cut it.

I use the yellow can with black top- works great for me.  You can order off Amazon for around $6.00

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

That fridge looks older than you! Bet it still runs like a top with minimal maintenance too! Gonna fry up his nuts? Also what's the girth chart say?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It don't look like I will need to fire up the deer fridge this year.   I am glad that "global warming" has backed off a bit the last couple of seasons.  I ain't had to fire up that fridge since 2016.   It sucks quite a bit of juice but always starts when plugged in.  With nighttime lows outside in the low thirties and daytime highs in the fourties, I can hold the skin-on carcasses at 32-42 F. inside that insulated garage, with no trouble.     

I had the "oysters" for lunch yesterday.  They were spectacular, fried in olive oil with lots of pepper.  Way better than any sea oysters that I have had.   I still have not had time to run the numbers on the 39-1/4" chest girth.   I am guessing around 160 pounds dressed.   The buck was heavy in the rear and difficult to hoist up by myself with the cheap little hand pulley.  It was not rutting hard yet and it was feeding on clover as it approached my two-story blind yesterday morning.   I will probably skin it next Saturday night and cut it up Sunday.   Hopefully it will yield 60 pounds or more of boneless meat.  It looked to be pretty lean, so there will not be much fat to trim away (I hate processing does for that reason) and there is no wound damage to worry about.