LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

Almost got run over by a porcupine. Getting my last clothes on and I hear something coming right at me. I waited till he was 10 feet away to turn my light on. He still came in to about 6 feet. Finally stopped. Thought I was gonna have to jump on the treestand. He was nice to let me get all my clothes on and up before he continued.  

Edited by biggamefish
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Belo said:

Genny sounds more like it haha! Congrats on the buck man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually for sometime , Genny brewed beer for Boston beer company AKA Sam Adams . Ok back to, your hunts , and I’m outta likes .

Almost too embarrassed to tell this tale. 

Decided to sit in a ground blind. Hit it at 6:15 and settled in. 30 minutes later, a grouse comes pecking through at 10 yards, perpendicular to me. He’s behind some saplings but there’s a 2’ “window” he’s heading toward which will give me a perfect shot. I shift and he spots me. Now we stare each other down. 10, 15, 20 minutes. I’m a little underdressed so the cold is starting to seep in but I don’t feel I can move or shiver. Finally after a full 30 minutes, I have to move so I half stand and slide behind a tree. This doesn’t really phase him and he starts to walk back the other way which will give me a good shot on the other side of the saplings! I wait for him to come around the tree, then nick, draw and loose. Miss him by an inch. He jumps but keeps walking. Oh man, another opportunity! I draw and let the second arrow fly. Another miss! Closer though. 

At this point he’s had enough and flies up a tree to watch me search the leaves for my arrows. Found one, lost the other. 

I’m sure he’s writing this up on a grouse only forum laughing about the idiot hunter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Love it when a plan comes together! 
Buck Down! A solid two year old for here. Passed on two smaller ones before this one came in to 10 feet from the ground. Shot taken at 20 yards. Will post story later in the harvest thread.
20191103_092428.thumb.jpg.dff8a55a7a0ec18b9b66571041b3db13.jpg20191103_083054.thumb.jpg.ffaf3532e69cf24706113761ec8e9a6f.jpg

ATTA BOY!!! Well deserved after all you do you the hunting community!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

This has really been a good year for the forum...and its only November 3rd. Still Plenty of season left to knock down Giants. 

I went out yesterday and didnt see a deer in my best stand, so i got down at around 8:45 when the neighbor decided thats when he wanted to work on his bobcat 90 yards away. I checked out a spot I don't hunt much anymore and immediately saw a doe. Behind the doe was a nice 8 point that was with in range, but I didnt know the exact yardage so I wouldnt have even taken the shot If I wanted to shoot the buck.

Came back the the property I was hunting in the morning and had the land owners kid riding his dirt bike around the orchard and my blind for about an hour before the chain slipped on the bike. His mother came over yelling at him for riding his bike when I was hunting, but I got down and helped the kid out. An hour later a fawn came in at 17 yards and I took the shot. Full pass through and he only went about 30 yards, but In some real thick stuff. On the way out I found out from a neighbor a giant 140's 8 point was shot on the other side of the farm. What a year for NY

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BigVal said:

What a bust. Hunted a "slam dunk" field this morning. Had four land in leading a flock or 30 or so. The 30 and the other 500 that wanted in flared and we couldn't get it right. Really strange to be honest our hide looked good. Oh well onto the deer. 

Yesterday at lease the ducks we're so loud I thought someone was over there calling , today didn't hear a single duck. 

• Like 1

Good morning hunt before soccer game in 3G. 32 degrees, barely any wind. Had the 8 pt I am chasing come in at 730 to calling. No shot at vitals. He held there for a bit till he realized he heard a doe, but couldn't smell one or see one. Hung around for a little bit. Tried to call him back but he wasn't having it. Heart was pounding and then he trotted off. Whole mix of frustrating, exciting and fulfilling.

Left to coach soccer win 6-0. Back at this PM. Jealous of all the good bucks on the board and hope to get it on myself. Good luck to all out there and congrats to all that connected.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So I had a couple of first time bow hunters at my place this weekend. One yesterday stuck an arrow in an eight but we lost the blood after eighty yards or so. The one today shot a doe and then a nice buck came behind the doe. He shot the buck and he said it dropped straight down and then dragged itself into the brush. Well, we waited two hours and then followed. The drag mark went twenty yards and then it seems the buck got on its feet and disappeared. From his description of the buck, it sounds like the same on as yesterday. One tough deer. Too bad I didn’t see a thing from my tree....

4 minutes ago, 46rkl said:

So I had a couple of first time bow hunters at my place this weekend. One yesterday stuck an arrow in an eight but we lost the blood after eighty yards or so. The one today shot a doe and then a nice buck came behind the doe. He shot the buck and he said it dropped straight down and then dragged itself into the brush. Well, we waited two hours and then followed. The drag mark went twenty yards and then it seems the buck got on its feet and disappeared. From his description of the buck, it sounds like the same on as yesterday. One tough deer. Too bad I didn’t see a thing from my tree....

Gotta ask. These new bow hunters practice much?   And shoot a doe and then shoot the trailing buck a little irresponsible IMO    2 blood trails intertwining only says bad things.

My first archery doe was this year. . 2 more were perfect for me to zip another hour later. I know I heard the first crash but no way I was going to shoot another without knowing100 %   Shooting 2 first archery deer in same day would have been epic and broke this forum but NOT even a thought

Was doe being tailed by buck recovered?

• Like 4