LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

5 hours ago, Belo said:

I agree. Nothing wrong with punching 2 tags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't care if your Robinhood or Legolas from LOTR but find it completely asinine to shoot doe and immediately trailing buck and have no idea of status of first shot. Two blood trails spells disaster . They are first time archery hunters to boot. A good shot or not doesn't matter.   Never heard if initial doe recovered but that buck supposedly shot twice now. He's not a pin cushion ! 

• Like 4

I don't care if your Robinhood or Legolas from LOTR but find it completely asinine to shoot doe and immediately trailing buck and have no idea of status of first shot. Two blood trails spells disaster . They are first time archery hunters to boot. A good shot or not doesn't matter.   Never heard if initial doe recovered but that buck supposedly shot twice now. He's not a pin cushion ! 
Gotta agree with my man Jay here. I've hunted over a doe I had shot a few minutes earlier and I saw die in front of me 40 yards out. I even had a nice 8 tossing her body all over the woods! But unless you know where that deer is dead 100% ideally by visual confirmation I would say it's pretty irresponsible to then shoot another animal without first either recovering or knowing exactly where the first deer is and therefore going to recover prior to shooting deer 2. Just my humble opinion take it or leave it as you wish.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Gotta agree with my man Jay here. I've hunted over a doe I had shot a few minutes earlier and I saw die in front of me 40 yards out. I even had a nice 8 tossing her body all over the woods! But unless you know where that deer is dead 100% ideally by visual confirmation I would say it's pretty irresponsible to then shoot another animal without first either recovering or knowing exactly where the first deer is and therefore going to recover prior to shooting deer 2. Just my humble opinion take it or leave it as you wish.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Couldn’t agree more, bucks will make people do dumb shit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and bear in mind I'm not trying to derail or personally assault anyone. I would shoot 2 deer in one sit, and I have. I find it a bit asinine for you to stand on your high horse after only starting bowhunting recently yourself. Everyone makes mistakes, you too are going to lose deer in your career and does it really matter if it was a week apart or the same sit? No. I've lost a deer before I thought was dead and I've found deer I never thought I would. It's a shame there wasn't a better outcome but it's hunting. I'd be willing to bet 90% of hunters on this site would shoot a doe then shoot a trailing buck if the opportunity presented itself, without knowing the first shot was "perfect." To keep criticizing the young hunters or their elder isn't helping anything but throwing unnecessary shame. End of rant.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chrisw said:

I'm going to play devil's advocate here and bear in mind I'm not trying to derail or personally assault anyone. I would shoot 2 deer in one sit, and I have. I find it a bit asinine for you to stand on your high horse after only starting bowhunting recently yourself. Everyone makes mistakes, you too are going to lose deer in your career and does it really matter if it was a week apart or the same sit? No. I've lost a deer before I thought was dead and I've found deer I never thought I would. It's a shame there wasn't a better outcome but it's hunting. I'd be willing to bet 90% of hunters on this site would shoot a doe then shoot a trailing buck if the opportunity presented itself, without knowing the first shot was "perfect." To keep criticizing the young hunters or their elder isn't helping anything but throwing unnecessary shame. End of rant.

If its a marginal hit, dont shoot another deer. And when youve done this long enough you know a marginal hit when it happens. Jays point is that one blood trail can be tough enough

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

whatever..............  btw my high horse is Shetland pony

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If its a marginal hit, dont shoot another deer. And when youve done this long enough you know a marginal hit when it happens. Jays point is that one blood trail can be tough enough

I agree. Ive shot two deer in one sit many times, but only when I knew the first shot was good. Ive passed deer when im not sure of the first shot

• Like 3

whatever..............  btw my high horse is Shetland pony
I'd say the high horse is actually a concern about starting young hunters on the right path. I'd venture to say that TF has passed on and will pass on opportunities that are marginal, and he's as young a bowhunter as the kids shooting trailing bucks.

Chris, if you were mentoring a young hunter, would you really have him send a second arrow on that deer ?

Stop making it out to be any more than a concern about mentoring the young hunters and trying to set them up for success today and in the future.

It's apparent who's on the high horse.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

At 7 am this morning I was texting one of my buddys I look up and have a doe staring at me at 16 yards the crossbow is on the hanger she licks the air and bounds away. After a few more hrs of no action I text the wife and ask if she wants to meet for lunch. I was gonna for a latke over an hr check the cam when I get back and 20 min after I left I had a doe at the base of the tree ho figure lol

i0000010_39.jpg

i0000010_15.jpg

i0000010_17.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I’m not into starting or perpetuating arguments and I don’t have to defend anyone’s choice to take a shot or pass. We can all make our own decisions on that. Discussing our own opinions and thoughts is a part of the hunting fraternity but name-calling is unnecessary. Jumping to conclusions and condemnations doesn’t benefit anyone. 
Hope all are successful in their hunt exactly the way that they want to be. Let’s get’r done!

• Like 3

I'd say the high horse is actually a concern about starting young hunters on the right path. I'd venture to say that TF has passed on and will pass on opportunities that are marginal, and he's as young a bowhunter as the kids shooting trailing bucks.

Chris, if you were mentoring a young hunter, would you really have him send a second arrow on that deer ?

Stop making it out to be any more than a concern about mentoring the young hunters and trying to set them up for success today and in the future.

It's apparent who's on the high horse.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

If there were any adult with the youth and could clearly see the first deer wasn't hit very well then I hope they would restrain them from shooting again, yes. But let's not forget who we're talking about, youth's. TF can pass on whatever he likes, so can everyone else. He wasn't there to know what actually happened or what was going through the kids head. If he had killed both of those deer then everyone would be congratulating him without a word being said about shooting 2 deer. I'm on my high horse? For defending a youth and his mentor that I don't even know?? I'm saying give the kid a break. He messed up, we all have. Learn from it and move forward. Let me ask you.... You shoot a doe, shot looked alright but you just aren't sure. Minutes later the biggest buck you've ever seen comes by, do you shoot? I already know the answer and so does everyone else. So where does TF logic apply here? After all it most likely was the largest buck the kid has had an opportunity at...?

• Like 4

I'm not going to clog up a good thread with this. If someone wants to start a new one I'll continue. But quite honestly, there's a clique on here who will agree with each other no matter what. To the guys out hunting tonight, good luck!

i'm not in this fight one way or the other but there is the problem if the bigger the rack makes you choose to shoot different than the smallest scrawny doe that you would shoot. If its not a good enough to shoot one it shouldn't be to shoot the other. Just my .02$

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red said:

At 7 am this morning I was texting one of my buddys I look up and have a doe staring at me at 16 yards the crossbow is on the hanger she licks the air and bounds away. After a few more hrs of no action I text the wife and ask if she wants to meet for lunch. I was gonna for a latke over an hr check the cam when I get back and 20 min after I left I had a doe at the base of the tree ho figure lol

i0000010_39.jpg

i0000010_15.jpg

i0000010_17.jpg

Had it happen to me the same way too many times. In the second pic looks like she was looking up in the trees for you. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

possible audible called on vac time ..... rain tomorrow ...... had t-th off thinking it might become W-F.  Also thinking of a stand move to a spot that is just tore up with scrapes and rubs.  hmmmm

Do it! I just did, you will wish u had

1 hour ago, Renegade Hunter said:

Shot two deer one time. Followed the first blood trail and found the deer. Went back, followed the second blood trail and found the deer. Wasn’t very confusing. 

I shot two deer with the bow and both fell in sight, but the first time I shot two deer in one sit with the bow,  the damn things took the same trail, I tracked the first one That’s was a pass through and wound up at the second deer with my arrow still in it. I found them both eventually and the blood continued from where the first one fell.

• Like 2