LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

26 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Fireball didn't pay dividends for me but my buddy sitting about a hundred yards north of me stuck a nice wide 7 we just finished get It out of the woods and loaded it up. Headed home for the afternoon!4cdd6703ad156e2a80a26a4f44eaddff.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Def gonna go with the Hershey now lol

• Like 2

Its been a blast getting up to speed whitetail hunting after living in the Colorado mountains my adult life and chasing elk...  My biggest question is just how many trillion acorns can these little guys vacuum up?  And yes, elk are wary but nothing like a whitetail doe that knows its hunting season.

They can do some damage if there isn’t much else around or even if there is. I hear there’s even differences in how wary whitetails are in the East vs West part of the country and the ones in the East are more prone to look in trees for us. Not sure if that’s true since I’ve never hunted out West. If you ever want to go back to CO to hunt elk and want company look me up
Been a dream of mine for decades now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I ended Up relocating to my blind that overlooks the hillside above the plots. No more than 10 mins after I got Situated and I catch Movement in the bottom. I could See it was a big bodied deer, but when I got My Binos up and on it, I saw It was my #1 target buck, a big mainframe 10 that I havent Gotten great pics of so far. They are always blurry, but you can make out the frame. I grinted at him and he stopped and turned my way right in one of the long gun lanes I have For this blind. It looked like he was going to come right to me, but I lost Sight of him in a thick patch and haven’t seen him since. 

if it was gun season he would be dead. Ugh. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I ended Up relocating to my blind that overlooks the hillside above the plots. No more than 10 mins after I got Situated and I catch Movement in the bottom. I could See it was a big bodied deer, but when I got My Binos up and on it, I saw It was my #1 target buck, a big mainframe 10 that I havent Gotten great pics of so far. They are always blurry, but you can make out the frame. I grinted at him and he stopped and turned my way right in one of the long gun lanes I have For this blind. It looked like he was going to come right to me, but I lost Sight of him in a thick patch and haven’t seen him since. 

if it was gun season he would be dead. Ugh. 

Maybe if you grunted instead of grinted he would have come your way?? :)

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I want 3 things right now
A fat doe
A Worthers original candy someone brought up the other day
And new gear that the water resistance has not shot

I have heard you can treat waterproof gone bad jackets / pants with a spray that one would use to waterproof a tent. Little late in the game now as sure it would smell for awhile after applying. 

• Like 1

I had one of the coolest experiences I’ve ever had in the woods today. Not only did I see two of the biggest deer I’ve ever seen on the hoof but I damn near stepped on them! My buddy and I got permission on a 50 acre chunk of river bottom near one of our other spots and decided to take advantage of the rain to scout it. Long story short, it’s completely hammered with rubs and scrapes and just as we are getting into the final stretch of cover to scout a huge 10 pointer stands up spitting distance away from me and let out the most aggressive blow I’ve ever heard before taking off. I shoot my buddy a text telling him a shooter running towards him and an ever bigger buck comes into the bedding from a logging road and has a stare down with me at less than five yards. I had a shot opportunity at his neck but decided to pass. By how tore up the area is I think they must be spending a lot of time back here and should come back. The first deer was probably 150-160 class and the second one was a 6x6 pushing 170-180. I’m thinking one of them must have had a doe and the other was lingering close by. Regardless I’ll be putting a lot of seat time in next week on this property. We’ve had a few 150-160 class bucks over the years on our spots but I’ve never had an opportunity to hunt a true booner

• Like 11

I had one of the coolest experiences I’ve ever had in the woods today. Not only did I see two of the biggest deer I’ve ever seen on the hoof but I damn near stepped on them! My buddy and I got permission on a 50 acre chunk of river bottom near one of our other spots and decided to take advantage of the rain to scout it. Long story short, it’s completely hammered with rubs and scrapes and just as we are getting into the final stretch of cover to scout a huge 10 pointer stands up spitting distance away from me and let out the most aggressive blow I’ve ever heard before taking off. I shoot my buddy a text telling him a shooter running towards him and an ever bigger buck comes into the bedding from a logging road and has a stare down with me at less than five yards. I had a shot opportunity at his neck but decided to pass. By how tore up the area is I think they must be spending a lot of time back here and should come back. The first deer was probably 150-160 class and the second one was a 6x6 pushing 170-180. I’m thinking one of them must have had a doe and the other was lingering close by. Regardless I’ll be putting a lot of seat time in next week on this property. We’ve had a few 150-160 class bucks over the years on our spots but I’ve never had an opportunity to hunt a true booner

Iowa or Kansas?

• Like 3

88d9346d565a2987ca5a95237c6965e0.jpg

This guy was tending a doe hard tonight - she walked off and he stayed with her- acknowledged and “spit on” my grunt and snort wheeze.
Had three other does in front of me out of range- one thought it would be funny to practice blowing out her birthday candle. She must be close to 50 cause she blew ALOT!!!!
This was all in a 75 minutes sit.

• Like 6

I went for still hunt. The rain turned to snow around 2 p.m and started to stick around 2.30. I got a ways into the woods and thought i kept smelling rutty something,i was trying to pinpoint it when three young deer tore past me,zig zagging and absolutely blistering through there. I think they got chased..No buck followed,so i kept going in the direction they came from cautiously. 10 mins later i catch movement,it is a big lone doe. I stay still,not hidden well but what can one do. It looked like she was going to walk past at about 50 yds. She stopped for a bit and i almost lost track of her,then she turned around and circled towards me. I drew back when she passed behind some trees and got ready. She was quartering towards me getting closer and closer,like under 15 yds now. She stopped head on and heard me breathing i think. So she turned back and now was quartering away slightly. I shot her at 20 yds and hit her to far back!!! I apparently suck at shooting live targets. I watched her run off,but only to 50 yds. I kept watching her and crept slowly to my arrow. Looked like all guts,what the hell,i cant get much closer than that.

So i backed out,marked the spot and will go back in the a.m. I am pretty sure i will find her,she was in a good size bowl with water at the bottom,so i doubt she will leave there. I hope the coyotes don't get her before me. And I am pissed that another deer will go through a slow painful death because i suck at shooting them where it counts.

• Sad 1

88d9346d565a2987ca5a95237c6965e0.jpg&key=c8db9c4585f981edcb66393be8f8540873c7ca7605373e140db2fed0d9a7074e

This guy was tending a doe hard tonight - she walked off and he stayed with her- acknowledged and “spit on” my grunt and snort wheeze.
Had three other does in front of me out of range- one thought it would be funny to practice blowing out her birthday candle. She must be close to 50 cause she blew ALOT!!!!
This was all in a 75 minutes sit.

Looks like a good 8?