LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

59 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

I went for still hunt. The rain turned to snow around 2 p.m and started to stick around 2.30. I got a ways into the woods and thought i kept smelling rutty something,i was trying to pinpoint it when three young deer tore past me,zig zagging and absolutely blistering through there. I think they got chased..No buck followed,so i kept going in the direction they came from cautiously. 10 mins later i catch movement,it is a big lone doe. I stay still,not hidden well but what can one do. It looked like she was going to walk past at about 50 yds. She stopped for a bit and i almost lost track of her,then she turned around and circled towards me. I drew back when she passed behind some trees and got ready. She was quartering towards me getting closer and closer,like under 15 yds now. She stopped head on and heard me breathing i think. So she turned back and now was quartering away slightly. I shot her at 20 yds and hit her to far back!!! I apparently suck at shooting live targets. I watched her run off,but only to 50 yds. I kept watching her and crept slowly to my arrow. Looked like all guts,what the hell,i cant get much closer than that.

So i backed out,marked the spot and will go back in the a.m. I am pretty sure i will find her,she was in a good size bowl with water at the bottom,so i doubt she will leave there. I hope the coyotes don't get her before me. And I am pissed that another deer will go through a slow painful death because i suck at shooting them where it counts.

Good luck Mike. Hope you find her intact and dead close by.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not over yet Mike. Good luck in the morning finding her.
Took tomorrow off and can't wait to get in the stand. Unfortunately hardly any snow fell here and the wind is going to be whipping but those cruddy days get the deer moving, or at least that's what I've witnessed in the past. Good luck everyone and let's knock a few down like all the great hunters did last weekend.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

I went for still hunt. The rain turned to snow around 2 p.m and started to stick around 2.30. I got a ways into the woods and thought i kept smelling rutty something,i was trying to pinpoint it when three young deer tore past me,zig zagging and absolutely blistering through there. I think they got chased..No buck followed,so i kept going in the direction they came from cautiously. 10 mins later i catch movement,it is a big lone doe. I stay still,not hidden well but what can one do. It looked like she was going to walk past at about 50 yds. She stopped for a bit and i almost lost track of her,then she turned around and circled towards me. I drew back when she passed behind some trees and got ready. She was quartering towards me getting closer and closer,like under 15 yds now. She stopped head on and heard me breathing i think. So she turned back and now was quartering away slightly. I shot her at 20 yds and hit her to far back!!! I apparently suck at shooting live targets. I watched her run off,but only to 50 yds. I kept watching her and crept slowly to my arrow. Looked like all guts,what the hell,i cant get much closer than that.

So i backed out,marked the spot and will go back in the a.m. I am pretty sure i will find her,she was in a good size bowl with water at the bottom,so i doubt she will leave there. I hope the coyotes don't get her before me. And I am pissed that another deer will go through a slow painful death because i suck at shooting them where it counts.

Chit happens in the moment,hope all works out for ya.go get her!!

• Thanks 1

Be out in the morning to start my 4 day vacation.  Sitting until 130 tomorrow.  Hoping someone makes a quick stop by the stand in the morning.  I have to put a stand up at some point tomorrow also.

Good luck mike.  The cold should help.    Dont beat yourself up to bad.   All you can do is try to learn for the next one.  My last couple years have been rough also.  

11 hours ago, Tughill Tamer said:

No I haven't seen alot of rut activity yet in 6n 6G or 6k. It seems to me that the area's I hunt in these wmu's seem to show signs of the rut a little later than some other areas.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ok just making sure I wasn’t the only one not seeing anything in these areas. Went out this afternoon in 6G seen a couple new scrapes but that was it. Hoping I have better luck tomorrow afternoon! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Be out in the morning to start my 4 day vacation.  Sitting until 130 tomorrow.  Hoping someone makes a quick stop by the stand in the morning.  I have to put a stand up at some point tomorrow also.

Good luck mike.  The cold should help.    Dont beat yourself up to bad.   All you can do is try to learn for the next one.  My last couple years have been rough also.  

Shot a 5pt quartering to me a tad too much Monday. Shot was high and back but did hit lung before exiting thru the guts. Backed out and returned next morning. He didn't go more than 40 yds.

Good luck!

• Like 6

Sat in the snow from 1 to 4:30, busted 4 doe by stand, saw 2 small bucks and a button buck, on the walk out I saw a good amount of tracks and a buck freshened up a scrape. Not sure where in going in the am but hopefully I can find a hot doe, I'm starting to think I don't know what I'm doing?