LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

Been out all day in three different stands because of wind shifts. Was looking to shoot a doe. Of course with no buck tag, I saw nine different bucks! A couple of doe too, but no shots because the bucks were chasing them!

Its on here! Right on time as tomorrow is the "Magic Day" of November 10th !

Best of luck to all going out tomorrow!

• Like 8

Update on the bears . I think they were hunting deer . They stuck around and kept  running back and forth for almost 4 hrs . Every time I had  deer race by me  a bear would show up shortly after.  My buddy's  stand was 400 yds  from me and he got this pic.

20191109_115935.png

No bears were shot . Neither one of us wanted to kill one lol.

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 7

I was out the first (4) hours at my folk's place, in search of a doe and to see how the morning action was for the gun opener next Sat.   I saw (4) bucks, the closest was a 1.5 year "just inside the ears" 6-point.  At 7:22 am, he walked slowly by at 30 yards.  He  will likely get a pass, if he shows up next Saturday, but a "well outside the ears" 8 point that showed up briefly, about 50 yards at 7:30 am, certainly will not.  At 9:45 am, I got a glimpse of another one with some decent horn, but too far to tell if it was "a shooter".    At 9:55 am, a tiny spike that almost would have fit on a dmp tag, strolled by about 50 yards out.   

I did not see any does, but my folks reported seeing one and a couple of 3/4 grown fawns out grazing on clover the previous late afternoon.   I will be targeting one of those young ones tomorrow.  There was roughly 120 pounds of leftover vacuum sealed venison in the freezer when I added about 60 more from the buck I butchered yesterday (he had a lot of fat on him to trim away).  That leaves us about 20 pounds short of enough to last another year.   One of those fawns would top things off nicely.   I am thinking that doe is keeping all the bucks around and she probably will not miss one of her young ones now that mating season is here.   

I planned on getting out at 3 pm at home this afternoon (on the opposite corner of WMU 9f), but a buddy showed up to visit so I did not get out until 3:30.   Naturally, there was what looked like a big old doe standing in the lane and heading towards the stand I planned on hunting when I walked back.  I don't think she saw me at first and she disappeared behind some brush.  The wind was in my favor, but she flagged and spooked out of the brush when I tried sneaking into position.  I did not see another deer until dark.            

• Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 4:26 PM, SDS said:

That’s a great idea!

Im really hoping the vest works as well as everyone says it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get it right so its against your body. A size smaller than you normally wear. I have lost 30 lbs and my heated vest doesn't work as good loose

Doe down!!!!! Just what I needed for the management program I hunt. So happy to now watch chef’s sausage making video.
15 yard shot...30 yard run and there she lay

e3df00cee7c2b9c1d3029f55609326b1.jpg&key=f134b9047cdc0bb9c069bf2f00079c6c5e44bfefa727da2c4788184052af5777

Wait you want to watch chef play with his sausage? You are one sick dude!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Doe down!!!!! Just what I needed for the management program I hunt. So happy to now watch chef’s sausage making video.
15 yard shot...30 yard run and there she lay

e3df00cee7c2b9c1d3029f55609326b1.jpg&key=f134b9047cdc0bb9c069bf2f00079c6c5e44bfefa727da2c4788184052af5777

Congrats man! I just ordered the book in that video today

• Like 2

Ganna be a long post.

Well it started fast and ended fast with an oops in the middle.  I cant sit long in the cold we had this morning so me and a buddy did some wind bumps on stateland.  Came to first spot and saw a big 8 working his way through so i dropped buddy off and tried to get around on him hoping he would cruise by one of us.  He ended up going onto neighbors with a doe past my friend.  Heading to spot 2 we spotted a monster 8 crossing onto stateland.  Never saw him again after we tried to get around him.   Went and scouted a couple spots for opener.   We decided to sit for 2.5 hrs around 9.  I had a lone unknown go through around 10 it ended up by friend turned out to be a 4pt.  1130 we headed out because we wanted to hit up my lease.  Did a spot and stalk on a small doe. Wind shifted right before it got in my friends shooting lane i was trying to get the kill on camera.

Lease: this is where it got bad before the good.  So i forgot my pack at home and wad carrying rattling horns over my shoulder.  Get to my stand and i hear a deer blowing. My friend jumped it going into another stand.   It comes flying up to me to 8 yards i make sure horns are out of my way and release the arrow and kaboom arrow slams into the ground horns smack my face bust my fingers up.  Look at the bow,string came off the cam moved the dloop and what im most grateful for it a was clean.  So i draw bow to get my string back on bottom cam slide loop back,check for any breaks,get my small game arrow out and shoot a stump. bows shooting good like nothing happened.  All i can think is that in the rush of it the horns slid down and in the way of the strings path. Then i forget my pull up rope so i had to tie my belt to bow and climbing harness.  Get setup yep there goes the release out of the tree.  Text my buddy my fun and said a 12 better come through now.

Well it gor better 230 had a button buck work 70yrds from me and into the meadow. 3 i look at the other end of meadow i see a doe walking past another stand(one told my friend to sit in.lol).  330 another one pops out.  340 that doe spooks over above me which  is when the bb went out of field.  So i decided to hit horns and here comes 2 looked like doe and buck.  Get eyes on the big body and holy crap its my target buck.  So i grunt at him and he postures walked over to a tree completely destroys it and makes a scrape.  I grunt again and he starts posturing towards me then stops and takes off up the hill(guessing he had a doe,he stopped and was looking before) because i finally spot other deer he was with its a spike.  As i getting down another doe comes in and jump another doe.  

Be back in the stand in am.  Sorry forong post it was a busy day.  Congrats to anybody who took one today havent read through to check.

• Like 7

Well. I am not sure where the rut is in 4K. Saw 2 small bucks this morning. Not chasing. Two doe. No bucks bothering them. 6 doe this evening. 1 of them still nursing her fawn. They were around on the acorn ridge for the last hour of light. Not 1 buck came to check them out. Back at it in the morning

21 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Ganna be a long post.

Well it started fast and ended fast with an oops in the middle.  I cant sit long in the cold we had this morning so me and a buddy did some wind bumps on stateland.  Came to first spot and saw a big 8 working his way through so i dropped buddy off and tried to get around on him hoping he would cruise by one of us.  He ended up going onto neighbors with a doe past my friend.  Heading to spot 2 we spotted a monster 8 crossing onto stateland.  Never saw him again after we tried to get around him.   Went and scouted a couple spots for opener.   We decided to sit for 2.5 hrs around 9.  I had a lone unknown go through around 10 it ended up by friend turned out to be a 4pt.  1130 we headed out because we wanted to hit up my lease.  Did a spot and stalk on a small doe. Wind shifted right before it got in my friends shooting lane i was trying to get the kill on camera.

Lease: this is where it got bad before the good.  So i forgot my pack at home and wad carrying rattling horns over my shoulder.  Get to my stand and i hear a deer blowing. My friend jumped it going into another stand.   It comes flying up to me to 8 yards i make sure horns are out of my way and release the arrow and kaboom arrow slams into the ground horns smack my face bust my fingers up.  Look at the bow,string came off the cam moved the dloop and what im most grateful for it a was clean.  So i draw bow to get my string back on bottom cam slide loop back,check for any breaks,get my small game arrow out and shoot a stump. bows shooting good like nothing happened.  All i can think is that in the rush of it the horns slid down and in the way of the strings path. Then i forget my pull up rope so i had to tie my belt to bow and climbing harness.  Get setup yep there goes the release out of the tree.  Text my buddy my fun and said a 12 better come through now.

Well it gor better 230 had a button buck work 70yrds from me and into the meadow. 3 i look at the other end of meadow i see a doe walking past another stand(one told my friend to sit in.lol).  330 another one pops out.  340 that doe spooks over above me which  is when the bb went out of field.  So i decided to hit horns and here comes 2 looked like doe and buck.  Get eyes on the big body and holy crap its my target buck.  So i grunt at him and he postures walked over to a tree completely destroys it and makes a scrape.  I grunt again and he starts posturing towards me then stops and takes off up the hill(guessing he had a doe,he stopped and was looking before) because i finally spot other deer he was with its a spike.  As i getting down another doe comes in and jump another doe.  

Be back in the stand in am.  Sorry forong post it was a busy day.  Congrats to anybody who took one today havent read through to check.

Wow lots of action there!

12 hours ago, moog5050 said:

That was quick from last post.  Lol. Congrats.  

Thanks. It was about an hour after I posted this below, as I pulled up to the land :) Wouldn't have even seen this buck had I not moved. More or less a few hundred yards get choked down into a thin strip of trees. I knew that the first year but only fully realized yesterday that I could actually get within bow range of where two main trails converge at the same time.

After several seasons in this spot I have identified yesterday what I believe to be the best tree on the property and will be in that shortly. It’s at a natural funnel of trees around 60 yards wide through which the. K of all deer travel.

Best day in a long time just wish i had that doe hanging but crap happends.  And bows still good to go for am shot it at home again to make sure.
What type of bow are you shooting?
I thought if you derail a string you would need a press to get it back on?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

What type of bow are you shooting?
I thought if you derail a string you would need a press to get it back on?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Bear charge only came off the bottom some how.  That was my first thought was oh crap my weekends over. I figured ide try it to see if it worked and it did  im not going to question it.

20191109_204252.jpg

2 hours ago, mattypotpie8S said:

Group of 3 doe and 2 fawns came threw 20 Minutes before end of legal. Was stuck in the tree til 20 Minutes after legal waiting for them to get far enough away. Surprisingly no buck on their trail... with their scent around should I sit there in the morning if wind is good?

Depends where you think they're walking to/from. If you have an idea where they eat and where they bed then they might have a buck follow them back to bedding