LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

29 minutes ago, Fletch said:

My brothers buck last night wouldn’t respond till anything until he snort wheezed. I have had pretty poor reactions outa grunts lately to tell truth. I think a lot bucks hear too much of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Followed by an arrow zipping over their back lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Live from the office...Was out Saturday. Was a good day although a bit slow. Saw 4 bucks and 9 doe. Passed on the bucks because they were not what I wanted. Decided to take a mature doe. Let one fly. I thought the hit looked good. She "kangarooed" and ran as would be expected. My arrow appeared to pass thru but I was puzzled why I didn't have much blood on my fletching. I waited almost an hour to begin following her as I still had deer around me. It was about 12 yards before i saw any blood and I mean a micro dot on a leaf. I was literally on my hands and knees, crawling around the woods looking for sign and found almost none. The "hit" was at 9:42am. I gave up the search at 4:26pm. Back at it on Sunday. Unable to find any more sign at all. Went home, put on all my gear, shot at my target and was right on.  After looking closer into how the shot went down, I believe the arrow deflected and gave her a hair cut and a bit of scratch. Major bummer to think I hurt her. :sorry:

So....if you had an opportunity worked out with your employer to hunt everyday for 3 hours from now till December 17th.  Would you go in late (hunt the morning) or leave early (hunt the evening)?

Just feeling this out cuz the opportunity is a possibility for me.  Also, so far this season, 9Y has been incredible.  Had two separate bucks chasing does in adjacent fields.  moved in one night for the kill and was frozen by an old doe staring me down, in the meantime, one of my shooters moves in within 5 yards to my opposite hand (i hunt out of a saddle) while im frozen by the doe.  So pissed because the action was incredible the last two weekends.  This weekend, nothing.  Starting to wonder if the full moon effects their daytime movement.  9F has been sloooooooow.  Great first two weeks of the season with observation sits, then they disappeared.  Haven't seen much in 9F worth of chasing the last three weeks.    

• Like 1

Bucks just starting to scrape and cruise here, have a pretty.decent buck to doe ratio by trail.cam.survey and observations. Quite a few showing up on cam with busted horns.. about 2 weeks behind what everyone else has been seeing but right on schedule for rut prediction from.d and dh..

So....if you had an opportunity worked out with your employer to hunt everyday for 3 hours from now till December 17th.  Would you go in late (hunt the morning) or leave early (hunt the evening)?
Just feeling this out cuz the opportunity is a possibility for me.  Also, so far this season, 9Y has been incredible.  Had two separate bucks chasing does in adjacent fields.  moved in one night for the kill and was frozen by an old doe staring me down, in the meantime, one of my shooters moves in within 5 yards to my opposite hand (i hunt out of a saddle) while im frozen by the doe.  So pissed because the action was incredible the last two weekends.  This weekend, nothing.  Starting to wonder if the full moon effects their daytime movement.  9F has been sloooooooow.  Great first two weeks of the season with observation sits, then they disappeared.  Haven't seen much in 9F worth of chasing the last three weeks.    

Evenings for sure. Mornings will be better the next week but after that and into late season they are back to bed before day light most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Bucks just starting to scrape and cruise here, have a pretty.decent buck to doe ratio by trail.cam.survey and observations. Quite a few showing up on cam with busted horns.. about 2 weeks behind what everyone else has been seeing but right on schedule for rut prediction from.d and dh..

Sounds about the same as here.  No big boys on cam in daylight yet.  Think I'll eat my lunch in blind today.

21 minutes ago, Buck_IT said:

Evening.  If you shoot one in the morning, your most likely not going to make it to work on time. Not sure if that's a issue for you or not.

I like evening sits better. 

1 minute ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Hmmm...mornings or evenings. good topic to be debated on a new thread 

Think ill start this lol.  I've always had more success in the evening myself, just seems like i've noticed people on this thread seeing more in the morning lately.  

i like to mix it up. a good morning sleep in is needed, but I have had better luck in the mornings. An evening hunt could mean night time tracking. And a morning hunt might mean you cant make it in time. I'm sure they're not that flexible though. Depending on how open they are to taking the whole day off if you get early success, i'd choose mornings. But if not, safest bet is evenings. 

IMO - once ruts slows, your highest likelihood of a catching a decent buck on its feet is last 1/2 hour of hunting as it moves to feed.  I have shot more bucks in morning, but all in rut period.  The only 2 I shot outside of rut were evening sits.  I suppose if its cold enough, they may still be moving earlier but we rarely have those types of temps.

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

When I pass the "Cuba" exit on Friday afternoon, do I push the bucks on 86 north or south for you?

15 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

When I pass the "Cuba" exit on Friday afternoon, do I push the bucks on 86 north or south for you?

86 Just south.  Im a 5 min drive from exit, exit 2 min from local bar n grill jay fell in love with

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I'm almost like the '72 dolphins in 2019 so far. My only miss was @Bionic seeing a 6pt. or better the other day. I think he only saw does?

The 72 dolphins did not make predictions based on past events.  I do not see the similarity.  By the way, I heard from Tacks, that you are sitting the ground in the parking area on Sat.  Good call, lots of missed opportunities right at the truck!

• Like 1