LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

23 minutes ago, Redneric said:

I’ve been told by chef your very close to the camp I belong to in white road we don’t see much a lot prob due to no food source but working on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah yes! I was actually looking at a house on White Rd, a friend of mine arrowed a nice 10 pointer in Glen Spey this season.  We have some beasts up here, but tough to be at the right place/right time at least for me.  Im 10 mins away near Eldred.  The deer get pretty heavy up here though.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Well, got down a while ago and walked over to where I saw Her fall. No deer. Bright red blood spots everywhere. You could see she had rolled around and gotten up. Looked at the spot where she fell and from the imprint in the snow, chunks of fat and bits of bone along with black hair, it wasn’t giving me a good feeling. I tracked Her for about 100 yards until I came Upon her. As she ran I could Clearly see I hit Her in the back straps Above the shoulder as she disappeared into the thicket. 

im starting to hate hunting this place. 

I’m going to take the rifle out and see where it’s shooting to figure out if it was me or if the scope got whacked while it was in the closet after I sighted It in. 

• Sad 1

Finally a deer in range. A doe fawn all by herself. I bet momma doe is on a date with one of the bucks I had on camera last night. A friend hunting a couple miles away had a doe go by with three small bucks following and ended up seeing 6 small bucks through the morning.

Just getting caught up on the thread congrats to all those who scored recently. Going out to my private land in 6g for an afternoon sit. Skipped out on the morning watch since I worked all night and knew I wouldn't be able to stay awake all day. This will be the first sit of my huntcation I've got the next 7 days off. Good luck everyone!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Finally back to civilization, after shooting my buck Tuesday I spend wed-Friday trying to track a buck with a guy I work with that wanted me to teach him some tracking. We got on a few good ones but he was never able to get a shot off. I think I wore him out because He decided not to hunt this morning so we came home a day early.

Thanks everyone for the congratulations, it was an awesome hunt now I’m just sad I have to wait a few weeks to do it again in Mass.

• Like 5

Interesting morning....small doe beds down 7:30: two larger Doe run through another field. Good Buck with nose in a$$ of yet another doe bed down in thick crap. 4 pointer later comes through too far for me. All through thick thick stuff no shot except for the baby of course. Heading back soon after a quick warm up. Wind was relentlessly cold.

Congrats Buckmaster7600! I finally figured out the 7600 in your name, it;'s from your gps, it's the miles you walked to kill that deer! I'm totally amazed, I could never walk those miles and for sure I could never be sure I'm still on the same track after he crossed so many other tracks!

It’s much easier staying on the right track than most think, especially after you follow the same track for a couple miles. This is one reason why I usually will only take a very big track it makes it easier to follow when they get in with other deer.

• Like 1

Would you be willing to share the GPS track with us ? Obviously you can black out the coordinates, I really just wanna see the topography map and see the route the buck took .

I use a 15year old gps that doesn’t show any topography. I wish it did because it would have been cool to add that to the story.

• Like 1

Was some of the mileage back & forth when dragging? When I drag 1/2 mile here in NY alone, I usually go 50 yards with my stuff (jacket, weapon, bookbag) and put it down. Then go back and get buck and drag it. I keep repeating this process, so my mileage ends up double or triple when dragging

Some of it was dragging but I only had to drag him maybe a quarter of a mile the rest a carried him. Only time i dragged him was through the swamp where the muck was deep.

I don’t carry a book bag or jacket or anything like that, just sling the gun and drag so no back and forth.

• Like 1

23 Miles off trail in snow over mountains rivers thick woods with gun and heavy clothing boots. Is almost super human. 
I wonder if he  forgot  that he started the  GPS  from the truck on the drive in or out .
Did that a few times I forget to shut it off right away  when i got to the car then you go look and it's off by 20 miles lol 

As I said in the original post I’m guessing a little over 10 of the miles was on a road back to my truck.

I’m far from super human just a fella with a beer gut that lives to track bucks in the big woods.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, WWJD_Hunter said:

Question guys.  Some shot at buck and look like they miss , then the buck came into the property I hunting and shot again in the property I am hunting and hit the buck but the buck was crawling and alive. I shot the buck and is dead.  Still waiting on the person but hasn’t come my my way. Who keeps the buck? They shot another is laying dead in the field 

Kill shot , it’s yours . That was always our rule ..

I drive 45 minutes to my property in 4H/R and have two DMP's and at 7:15 am this morning my wife sends me a couple Pic's  from where we live in 4B from the back porch ..... this Buck was just sniffing the ground and walked less than 10 feet from my wife and didn't notice her ! What are the chances ?

thumbnail_4900.thumb.jpg.14462ae6e4ea9c45a3b8736fb340c38a.jpg
thumbnail_4901.thumb.jpg.0822f49887fb671d0f2ceeb335cecfa8.jpg
I'm in 4b right now, I'll let you know if I see him!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

• Like 1